RX-V2700, Bi-amp or Zone 2-3 ?

standuffer

Home of R&R
Opinion on driving 2-pair of Front Speakers :rockon:

I have a Yamaha RX-V2700 that until recently has been driving a typical 5.1.1 set-up except with an additional pair of Front speakers. The Main Fronts (speaker-A), driven by the V2700, are a pair of JBL-L100’s. The second pair of front speakers (speaker-B), Infinity Kappa 6.1’s is sourced from V2700 (Line Out front) and was driven by a Carver TFM-35 amplifier. This arrangement worked well until the Carver went in for repair with a 12-week lead-time.

I am asking for help driving speaker-B with the V2700. Should I use the bi-amp function, or one of the Zone-2/3 functions? Which do you think would work best? :dunno:

If I understand correctly, if I use the ‘bi-amp’ function, it would be a ‘straight’ one-to-one connection {pre-amp (out) to Bi-amp (in)} but, if I were to use the Zone function, I would be able to adjust a few parameters such as ‘initial’ volume and ‘maximum” volume. Also, what effect will the ‘Pure Direct’ mode have on either configuration?

I did find these two pages at Yamaha Support but even after reading them, I can’t decide which set-up would be best for my set-up…

Zone 2 Set-up…
http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article...e_RX-V2700/?current_page_id=1&sort=best&type=

Bi-Amp Set-up…
http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article...EIVER/?current_page_id=1&sort=undefined&type=

I mean hey, I’ve got 7 amplifier circuits in this RX-V2700, might as well use them!

While reading and trying to understand the Users Manual there was mention that digital audio is not passed to bi-amp or Zone function but analog is passed on. Does this present a problem and if so, is there a work around besides using the analog output from my sources (dvd player, satellite. tuner)?

Thanks for your thought and assistance.
Take Care :beerchug:
John.

I have the same receiver and do not bi-amp, but I use zone 2. I can say definitively that Zone 2 will not play a digital source. I bought an outboard DAC (audioengine D1) to feed the zone 2 input from my next gen apple tv, which is digital output only. I use zone 2 in other rooms and outside. I recall initially being disappointed not to be able to bi-amp and use zone 2.

I do not know what turning bi-amp on would do with a digital signal to the same amp, because that is over my head and my understanding of the circuitry.

You might just have to try it with a digital signal and put your ear up to the drivers. Sorry I can't be more help.

I have the RX-V2500...never tried it but "bi-amp" should work fine except for the digital source thing. You should be able to do some level control similar to how you set distance and volume in the surround sound set-ups....never tried it myself. Another option is to try the "7.1 stereo" setting and see how it works. Might need to run the YPAO to set the set the delays and levels to give the best effect. This will get you around the digital source issue.

Try this :
Your digital source probably has analog stereo out so you can run those into the analog side of your input so the receiver sees both the digital and and analog inputs when you select your DVD/bluray or whatever. Digital to mains and analog to zone 2 (or bi-amp?) might be automatic....easy to check. I retired my 2500 a couple years ago so I can't push a couple buttons to test this for you.

Good luck!

Today’s set-up decision…

I set the RX-V2700 to “bi-amp” mode and attached the Kappa 6.1’s bi-amplified. WOW, they never sounded this good! The bass is stronger with more ‘punch’ and the highs are much more ‘detailed’ then when driven with just one amp.

I took the L100’s out of the mix until my Carver TFM-35 amplifier is back from repair. I will be able to adjust the L100’s volume level with the TFM-35’s front panel level control.

Thanks for helping me sort things out.

Take Care :beerchug:
John.

Back
Top Bottom