external amp

hotrod351

been looking at a amp for my RX-A1020. dont understand why almost all the the yamaha amps i see are not much more in wattage than what my RX-A1020 is already putting out. what would be the purpose in spending $800.00 for a amp that puts out 120 watts to connect to a receiver that puts out 120 watts. and why is that it seems most home apms are in the 90 - 120 watt range and not like the ones they have for cars, which are in the 400 - 1200 watt range.

Car amps are usually bridged (which basically doubles the output) and rated for 2 ohm operation, with terribly distorted sound, and grossly exaggerated to boot. Since they are running on 12V batteries, they cannot deliver any sort of power. To solve that little problem, they use switching power supplies (voltage inverters) to increase the voltage, but this is done in an ugly fashion, so the amplifiers run on dirty power. Everything about car amplifiers is ugly, disgusting and certainly not hi-fi. I feel gross just thinking about it. ;)

Home theater receivers are usually overrated as well, like a single channel driven, with terrible sound quality, the millisecond right before it blows up in smoke.

Hi-fi stuff is far more serious (most of the time) with some more truth to the ratings, and with more concern for proper, undistorted sound.

Last edited:
been looking at a amp for my RX-A1020. dont understand why almost all the the yamaha amps i see are not much more in wattage than what my RX-A1020 is already putting out. what would be the purpose in spending $800.00 for a amp that puts out 120 watts to connect to a receiver that puts out 120 watts. and why is that it seems most home apms are in the 90 - 120 watt range and not like the ones they have for cars, which are in the 400 - 1200 watt range.

I think it would be helpful to clarify the terminology that you are using. What exactly are you referring to when you say "amp"? Are you talking about Integrated Amps (basically a receiver without the tuner section) or a Power Amplifier (Separate amplifier that requires a separate preamp, or a receiver/integrated amp with pre-amp outputs)?

Which amps are you looking at where you are having trouble finding one more powerful than 120w, especially for $800?!?

For less than $800 you could pick up one of these:
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_sound/power-amps/p_series/p7000s/

That is 700wpc at 8ohms, as much as my P2201 amps put out when they are bridged. If you rated the P7000S the same way they rate car amplifiers, then you could say it's a 3200watt amp lol

In a 4- ohm bridged application, the P7000S delivers 3200 watts

receiver/integrated amp with pre-amp outputs. i thought the purpose of these were to be cable to connect a amp that would boost your power.

receiver/integrated amp with pre-amp outputs. i thought the purpose of these were to be cable to connect a amp that would boost your power.

You don't need more power for better sound, just a better amp. Your unit allows for that.

Back
Top Bottom