High pass power requirements of Infinity RS.2.5

kneeOhFight

Addicted Member
It is not possible to consider tube amplification of the high pass of my RS 2.5 without knowing the "real world" power levels needed to safely and effectively do so, and I don't. I would really appreciate some knowledgeable input on this matter.

I know nothing about powering 2.5's, but Gammas can be powered in a small room with 100watts of VTL power on a 5ohm tap. Tube power reacts with impedance changes in a different manner than SolidState power.
What amps have you tried on the speakers so far? Do you have an impedance plot for the tops?
D

I've have played around with all sorts of amps and crossover setups for the 2.5's, and I would think around 50 to 100 watts of tube power would get it done if you like to play it loud once in a while.

Mine are triamped right now. I bypass the entire passive crossover, including the Watkins bits as I use subs and have a 12 dB/8ve 50 Hz HP filter on the 2.5's anyway. They sound awfully good driven full range by one of my Nak PA-7s and a 100% stock crossover as well.

Unless you have bypassed the original crossovers, the mid/high section should be powered same as the low section.

Normally the HF and LF are strapped together, thus exposed to the same voltage swing, so should they be when separated.

Bi (or tri) amping and NOT bypassing the passive crossovers seems like a real waste of time and resources to me.

Back
Top Bottom