Do I Want a pair of RS-IIs?

I don't think many people are really going to say no here haha.

If you want them and have the money/time to get them then I say yes!

And don't forget to post more pictures and your opinions on the tweeters/mids. :music:

Looks like two of the woofers may be the -2279A's. If so, they're a compatible woofer. If you don't like them, wait until two 490781's come up on ebay, which is fairly frequently. 490781's are the original RS-II woofers. And, if you don't like the drywall screws, go to the hardware store and get some original Infinity screws; they're out there.

If those are the only two issues the speakers have, then consider yourself lucky (if you're planning to buy them).

I have the compatible replacements on mine. They DO look different. The previous owner didn't know about replacing surrounds so he replaced all 4 drivers, The guy also didn't know about phasing,, as 3 of 4 drivers were hooked up wrong (and they STILL sounded good), I just did surrounds on all 4 woofers, fixed the phasing and DAMN but they sound good now.

Got mine for $300 + $20 delivery and now about $80 for surrounds. Heckuva deal.

Last edited:
he's had multiple auctions for these on ebay over the last several weeks. they're on there now. he says they are all original, yet the woofers don't seem to match. still a good price. good enough i considered them. even his $100 shipping is a deal. but those drywall screws are a red flag...

I think I see a hairline surround failure on the upper driver. Buy them anyway.

On the drywall screws: most likely the particle board is striped out and thats what he had. A great low cost mod is to replace all the woofer screws with "t" nuts and screws...
Jim

While I was sitting at the auction at Kutztown, I was following another auction on my phone- for these. With 5 minutes left, I threw an opening bid of $575 in, and won!

So, I've got some housecleaning to do before I can even grab these things, let alone set them up right. Heck, I still have to unload my Kutztown haul..lol. Don't be surprised to see a bunch of gear of mine on barter town at great prices. I'm excited to get the RS-IIs though. I think this is gonna be great.

-Jon

It also seems pretty established that I WILL like them..lol. Ugh, so much work to do though. I'm sure when it's all done, I'll feel it's quite worth it.

-Jon

It also seems pretty established that I WILL like them..lol. Ugh, so much work to do though. I'm sure when it's all done, I'll feel it's quite worth it.

-Jon
Great job. Hope you like them, they are well worth building a system/room around or just creatively placing them in the living room. They respond well to a robust amp.
Jim

Hmm, a reality just set in. These things are probably really heavy, aren't they? The unloading crew is most likely going to consist of me, myself, and I. What can I expect when manipulating these things?

-Jon

Hmm, a reality just set in. These things are probably really heavy, aren't they? The unloading crew is most likely going to consist of me, myself, and I. What can I expect when manipulating these things?

-Jon

Use a dolly.

I would have guessed about 75 lbs. I had help loading them into my Neon (separately on different days), but unloaded and have moved strictly by myself ever since. I don't plan to sell them unless I have to, but they don't stay in my main system much because I audition so much stuff before selling it. I'm not a big guy (only 5'5") and I've moved them around many times without a problem. Slow and careful is the way.

And, congratulations on your acquisition of some fine speakers.

The lady I bought mine from helped me get them in the truck but the rest of the move I did myself. Home Depot sells small moving dollies which I use all the time for big speakers and amps. They are around half the size of a regular dollie. I good handtruck with a heavy blanket and nylon strap will come in handy too.

Take some blankets with you. Get as many as you think you need and then get twice that many;). When you lay them on their backs be careful of the binding post as they are flush or even stick out slightly from the back. When you move them in the upright position take care not to break off the rear leg as it is a weak point.

I would say if you have a good back, dollies and a hand truck for stairs you should be fine.
Jim

Thanks for the good ideas for moving the speakers. My biggest concern is the stairs. There are 3 or 4, then a landing and 90 degree turn combined with a very low overhead clearance, followed by about 8 more steps, then a narrow entrance combined with another 90 degree rotation. Basically hell. My dad has a hand truck, so I think I'll borrow that and have it waiting at the house when I return.

I think this is going to suck..lol. And no, I don't have a good back. I've moved other heavy things though, but usually paid for it for a few days. This might be one of those cases. Hopefully the handtruck helps.

I carried mine up two flights of stairs to my apartment a handful of years back. They are very easy to carry with two people. Those RSIIs are the one pair of speakers I think I should have kept. I'd buy another pair if the opportunity presented itself.

Back
Top Bottom