I'm liking these speakers more & more!

RickeyM

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm liking these speakers more & more! RS6b Plus??

A while back, I posted about my Infinity "mutts" as I called them then. They started out as a pair of Qa's that I called myself "improving" by moving the EMIT's closer to the woofers. Well something else caught my attention and the Qa's sat in a closet for many years. I found this place and saw how well these speakers were regarded and dragged mine out. Sadly one tweeter was MIA and one of the woofers had a mold issue. I still wanted to hear these speakers sing, so replacement woofers were found. They just happened to be newer poly woofers. Patient shopping on the bay and I got a single EMIT. I also must have caught a bunch of people napping 'cause I got a great deal on a pair of Kappa poly dome mid's. Might as well step 'em up to a three way, right? :scratch2: Should be easy, right? :no: The closest Infinity crossover (ALOT cheaper than building from scratch) I could find was the RS6b. Seems Infinity never made a three way with an EMIT, poly-dome mid, and ten inch woofer. The RS6b crossover only has a 1.5mH inductor on the woofer. It may work like gangbusters on an eight incher but not so much on a ten. Let's just say the lower mids were way too forward. Cleaning out the basement/man cave/listening room I found some unused inductors and caps. Hmm, 2.5mH inductors & 44uF in caps. Not ideal but it had to be better. Installed the parts and WOW! The bass was much better not being drowned out by the mids and the mids blended in with everything else. I can't call these speakers "mutts" any more because they sound so good :music: Good enough that I'm now going to upgrade the crossovers with better parts :thmbsp:

I'll say it again. I'm liking these speakers more & more! Listening to Hiroshima-The Bridge SACD on a slightly modded Sony DVP-NC555ES, into a slightly modded Yamaha CX-630 pre, driving a modded and re-capped Yamaha MX-830 amp :music::music: & :tresbon:

102_0854-L.jpg

Last edited:
Keep us updated with how it goes. Looks interesting and was always curious about how that might work. Good work!

Inspired by work others here on AK on their Q cabs, new baffles will be installed (all drivers flush mounted) with a more traditional T/M/W arrangement and additional bracing added to the cabs along with binding posts replacing those spring-clip speaker wire terminals. One of which has already broken :no:

100_1077-M.jpg

Here's where it get's confusing. The pics you see of most of the RS5b's are actually the RS6b. You'll see a few pics of a similar speaker with two 8" woofers. Once you see the schematics you'll realize that the dual woofer speaker is the RS5b.

One detail to notice is that the woofers on the Qa & Qb, the woofers are off center. I plan to keep this feature, just mirror image it.

(psst, I get home before the wife tomorrow so I may be able to apply a little juice to them :D )

Here's where it get's confusing. The pics you see of most of the RS5b's are actually the RS6b. You'll see a few pics of a similar speaker with two 8" woofers. Once you see the schematics you'll realize that the dual woofer speaker is the RS5b.

One detail to notice is that the woofers on the Qa & Qb, the woofers are off center. I plan to keep this feature, just mirror image it.

(psst, I get home before the wife tomorrow so I may be able to apply a little juice to them :D )

The RS4(b) had dual 8"s the RS5(b) has dual 6"s. I also thing the RS6 is the one withe the single 10

The RS4(b) had dual 8"s the RS5(b) has dual 6"s. I also thing the RS6 is the one withe the single 10

RSIII (or RS3) A/B, with dual 10" woofers.

INFINITY RSIIIb-4.jpg

The RS4B had dual 8's.

INFINITY RS4b-8.jpg

Then there's a RS5 with dual 6.5" woofers. Notice how close the lower woofer is to the floor. One way to tell it's a RS5.

INFINITY RS5.jpg

Followed by the RS5B, that switched to a single 10" woofer.

INFINITY RS5B-2.jpg

Finally,there's the RS6B with a single 8" woofer.

INFINITY RS6-16.jpg

And that should be it, for the early EMIT, Polydome-mid 3-way designs. Kappa's after that!

Last edited:
Like I said (thanks to Infinity's numbering/naming system), it gets confusing :D So the RS6b (higher model number) has smaller woofer than the RS5b :confused:
So I call them RS5b's in a Qa cab :headscrat:

The tweeter's were moved right above the woofers long ago when I thought I knew more than the Infinity engineers. Much later my fertile mind decided to make 'em 3-ways. It was a lot simpler to just cut another hole for the mids where there was space.

I've seen others here (you know who you are) cut out the original baffles and make new ones. I'll go the next step and do mine and arrange the drivers more conventionally. I think it'll look better that way with EMIT-R's too.

Work in progress

The cabs being braced up. Mock-ups of the new crossovers in there.

100_1151-L.jpg

Test fit:
100_1149-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom