Recapping the Infinity Quantum 2

Zarathustra

Hi Guys,

A couple of years I bought the speaker I once started my high-end audio with a pair of goodlooking Quantums 2. Used them at the attic with a Classé DR-3 Class A amp because I preferred my Acoustats 2 + 2's in the main setup although I've hesitated but especially voices wre a bit nasal with the Q2's compared with the electrostatics.
Due to personal changes I've stored my Acoustats and now the Q2's are the main speakers. I'm running them with a pair of old Levinson Class A amps to almost full satisfaction but one of the crappy bindingposts gave way.
I would love to change all the bindingposts for more sturdy parts and along that some of the caps inside while I'm at it also.
What would be the best strategy to get a better performance out of them without spending a lot of money? I can solder, well I think I can :)
Serials: 7104008 & 7104372, no emit at the back, dual bindingposts and X-over switch at the back.
edit

edit

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Gfm41mPPcQekdlV01VSFhjTGs/edit?usp=sharing
edit

If your speakers have those black electrolytic caps with red ends in them, then they need to be replaced. All 16 in each of my QLS1s were leaking! Replacing them made the mid bass much less "beamy".

I've considered getting Cardas directly plated gold over copper binding post from Sonic Craft for these speakers (and others). I will be looking for poly replacements for the lytics, but that may take a while to find an affordable alternative.

I just got a set of Quantum 2's and I will be looking to make these better with newer/upgraded parts. That's the way I approach everything. I figure every company cuts corners and I try to fill those compromises with at least 'better' parts than stock ones. Ones that make an audible difference.

Larry D.

Wow, Acoustat 2+2's being replaced by Quantum 2's, can't see that lasting to long :) . Curious, did you update your interfaces at all ? Al

Wow, Acoustat 2+2's being replaced by Quantum 2's, can't see that lasting to long :) . Curious, did you update your interfaces at all ? Al
It was already a MK-121C Medaillon Series which has been updated with Polypropyleen caps where possible.
I've stored the Acoustats 2 + 2 for the meantime.
When I can employ them again I will do so.
I've bought them brand new in 1991 and would be very upset if I had to part with them.
But although not as monumental sounding as the Acoustats I really love the basic sound from the Q2's and that's why I would love the upgrade them because I foresee that I will listen to them for a long time.
Thanks for your response in this matter.
Any suggestions for capreplacement?

^^^^^
I left the big electrolytics and replaced all other caps with Dayton metalised polypropolene, film and foil on the tweeter.
The Q2 is a extremely nice speaker system, beholding to few.

Back
Top Bottom