Another Project....Newly Acquired Quantum 2's

idadude

Good thing that I'm almost done with my initial work on my RS 2.5s because I just bought a pair of Quantum 2's locally off Craigslist and they look as if they will require a lot of time to get into shape.

Looks like everything's there, but some of it needs work. I'll have to check out the drivers to hear if they all function. Looks as if a mid-bass needs re-foamed or re-rubbered. I'll do both speakers. Looks like the woofers have been replaced. If they aren't Watkins, then I'll have to find a pair. The lady said they worked when they were in California, but haven't been used since they were brought up here because the amp is still in storage in Cali. They have good grills, but are not pictured.

I'll be doing a bit of reading-up on the Quantum 2's just to see what I've got here. This might turn into a refurb thread for these babies. Wonder what else I can find locally that people just want to get out of their house so that it does not take up room.

Larry D.

Attachments

• IMG_0927.jpg
    IMG_0927.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0928.jpg
    IMG_0928.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0929.jpg
    IMG_0929.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 59
Further investigation...

Three of the four midrange domes need the tinsel wire fixed. I have a spool of 32 gauge enameled wire that I might try and replace the tinsel with, otherwise I will take one turn off the voice coil and use that. I will have to research and see if the woofers are actually Watkins or not. They are dual voice coils, but don't know if they're Watkins made. The tweeters still have good fuses and were not boosted any, so they're probably okay.

I sure would like to hear what these sound like, but I'll have to wait till I get some of these things fixed first. I don't mind putting a little time and money in these since they did not cost much initially. Looks like more time is involved than is money, but I don't have much of either at the moment.

Larry D.

Last edited:
Went a little further...

I looked up the numbers I found on the woofers and found that they are actually replacements made by Watkins, so my concern for a major $ investment has been placated. Wow! Looks like it will be an investment in time instead of dollars to get these going. I'm a happy guy!

Larry D.

Mid-bass driver size.

What is the actual size of the mid-bass driver? I'm measuring the outside diameter of the 'roll' or do you measure the inside diameter of the roll? I'm not sure, but I would like to get the surrounds replaced with rubber. If you measure the outside diameter, then its 4.5". Anyone know what are or where to get the correct measurements?

Larry D.

the quantum's mid/bass coupler is the philips AD5060/w8. infinity's part number is 902-0151 and their literature called it a 4" driver (although philips literature calls it a 5"). it's unusual to find these in need of a new surround. they came in both rubber surround and cloth surround, and neither commonly failed over time.

My first Infinity speakers were Quantum 2's. They're excellent speakers!

Do you have the phase rings for the woofers?

Looks like the phase rings are gone for the woofers. Wonder where they went. The new woofers fit perfectly with the bolt hole pattern, but you can tell there's something missing. What did the phase rings do?

On the mid bass, it is strange that one surround is in good shape and the other is kind of smashed looking, with what looks to be a slight tear in the rubber. If I can't replace the surrounds I will look for new replacement drivers.

The gal I bought the Q2's from told us that they were her late husband's and that she just wanted them out of her living room. She had them advertised as Harman Kardon speakers since the majority of the equipment he had was H-K. I almost didn't even look at the ad except that it said "Large H-K Speakers". 'Large' caught my attention, so I clicked on the ad, then I saw the Infinity badge on the grill and three EMITs through the grill cloth, so I sent two emails. They'd been on Craigslist for about an hour, but I happened to email her first. After my email she said she was barraged with emails from people wanting them, so she pulled the ad. She was a very nice lady who loved her husband, but not his stereo equipment.

These will be a fun project. I look forward to hearing them soon.

Larry D.

Looks like the phase rings are gone for the woofers. Wonder where they went. The new woofers fit perfectly with the bolt hole pattern, but you can tell there's something missing. What did the phase rings do?

On the mid bass, it is strange that one surround is in good shape and the other is kind of smashed looking, with what looks to be a slight tear in the rubber. If I can't replace the surrounds I will look for new replacement drivers.

The gal I bought the Q2's from told us that they were her late husband's and that she just wanted them out of her living room. She had them advertised as Harman Kardon speakers since the majority of the equipment he had was H-K. I almost didn't even look at the ad except that it said "Large H-K Speakers". 'Large' caught my attention, so I clicked on the ad, then I saw the Infinity badge on the grill and three EMITs through the grill cloth, so I sent two emails. They'd been on Craigslist for about an hour, but I happened to email her first. After my email she said she was barraged with emails from people wanting them, so she pulled the ad. She was a very nice lady who loved her husband, but not his stereo equipment.

These will be a fun project. I look forward to hearing them soon.

Larry D.

Nice story. Thanks, and congrats on the catch.

I believe that they time align the woofers with the rest of the drivers.

Thank you.

I was guessing that was their purpose and that would make sense. I asked the seller to keep an eye out for them and the old woofers when she goes to the storage unit to get the rest of the components. The old Watkins could be sent back to be checked out and re-foamed by Bill, if they weren't thrown away.

I've been reading some old posts about the Quantum 2's and I'm REALLY looking forward to hearing them now. Wonder how they stack up to the 2.5s?

Larry D.

The QLS-3's I completed a few weeks ago are fantastic. By the way I have two mid range drivers you can have for shipping. Pm me, they are in good shape. I had Orange County Speakers refoam the Watkins woofers for $70.00 apiece, that included the shipping, UPS back. I did both woofers but one did not behave. I should of had them do both. Great job. The -3's where done on a budget and I can not overstate the sound, Great!!

The Quantum 2's will blow the 2.5 away when it come's to all out sound pressure levels, looks like you have the 4.5 woofers, thats why the phase ring was removed, far better woofer, bigger magnet and tighter bass than the paper woofer, I changed mine over as well.

My QLS-3's have a wooden trim ring that is painted gloss black around the woofer. It really sets it off. It looks like your's are missing them.

Yes, I'm going to have to find a pair or make a pair if the original owner's wife does not find them in the storage unit. Chances are slim that they're still in storage, but the chance that I would find another great deal on large Infinitys was slim too, but I got them. One way or another, I'll get a pair of those rings.

I was looking at some solder wick to use for tinsel wire (if that's what its called) for the midrange domes, but what I have is too stiff. Wish I had a bunch of blown speakers to take the copper braid off going to the voice coils. I'd like to use something very flexible for the connection so as not to impede the motion and reproduction of the mid domes. I was going to take off one winding from the voice coil to use, but since 3 of 4 have already failed using that same wire that does not seem like a good option. The enameled wire I have is 26 gauge, not 32 ga. as I thought and that seems too stiff. Maybe some stripped tonearm wire with that rubbery goop covering it may possibly work. I'll have to see if I have some.

Just like the situation with the phase rings, one way or another, it will get taken care of and done right..

Larry D.

Polyfill instead of fiberglass.

One thing I noticed when I took the one woofer out was that these have the fiberglass fill. The 2.5's have polyfill which I prefer. Any idea how much poly I would need to fill both cabinets? I used to have to work in fiberglass A LOT and I've developed this hatred for it. It might be heavier and dampen better, but I would prefer to use other damping methods in addition to adding polyfill.

After typing this all out I guess I could just go ahead and measure the cabinet to figure the square footage. It has been a long day working outside in the perpetual Idaho sunshine. I may be a little 'well-done' for the day.

Larry D.

Buy alot of Polyfill they are big cabinets. Take back what you don't use. I think you can get it at the fabric stores, used for pillows. Expensive stuff to boot!

I'll send you a length of copper wire I plan to use on my domes. It's copper break-a-away wire used for safetying switch guards on aircraft. I think it will work perfectly.

I am sending the package out tonight.

A picture of the ring and Mids. I fixed the one with a vacuum. :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• qls-3 123.jpg
    qls-3 123.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 50
  • qls-3 124.jpg
    qls-3 124.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 49
zebulon1, your help is much appreciated!

I think that the wax or whatever was on the one mid-bass also got onto the rubber surround and the petroleum properties in the wax ate at the rubber surround and caused it to soften and deform. I'd like to try and replace the surround someday, but the wax is impregnated into the paper and that may cause it to be unglueable (is that a word?). I'll look into it sometime when I have lots of nothing to do. I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Thanks so much for making the drivers and the wire available. I'll search around here and see what I have laying around for wire anyway. I have so much stuff that I occasionally forget about some of it. I may have the perfect solution sitting in a box or storage container in my electronics room. I'll check out your wire....it may be exactly what I'm looking for. That would be nice.

I did find some 40uf polys upstairs in a container, so that takes care of one of the main caps I wanted to replace first. I'm still working on the grills on my 2.5s right now and should have them done this weekend if the brakes on the wife's Sienna don't give me too much trouble. I'll let you know when the package gets here and thanks again.

Larry D.

Back
Top Bottom