1980's Era Yamaha K-960 Cassette Deck

james_98188

You guys were a HUGE help to me a couple of years ago in straightening out a problem with my Luxman R-3045 Receiver/Amplifier, and I've been mouthing off to everybody about the wonders of 80's era audio electronics vs. what's being put out these days - and often cited my Luxman, Yahama P-550 Turntable, and my Yamaha K-960 Cassette Deck as being prime examples.

Well, I hadn't used my Cassette Deck for a while, and now it's bit the dust! It acts like it's trying to spool, but then drags and stops.

Do you guys have any tips how to salvage this old gem?

****************************************************************************************************

Ah, I found a post here about this very same deck - talking about replacing the belt and inspecting and doing something about the idler between the two reels. Are these appropriate responses for the symptoms I described?

Last edited:
Yes they are.

belts are old now and weak or perished, along with the rubber idlers belts, which go hard and cannot grip. You get those items replaced and you'll be all new again.

I have a Yamaha KX-800 and an older TC-720. Both are lovely decks. Especially the KX-800, which sounds superb. The 720 needed a new belts, which I did and it now runs perfectly.

K960 YAMAHA cassette deck

Hello !

Do you guys have any tips how to salvage this old gem ?

Yes , you must replace belts , idler and pinch roller then your K960 will be like a new one !

K960 is one of the best tape deck ever made by YAMAHA !

signal to noise ratio with DBX : 100dB !
dynamic range (1khz Metal) : 110dB !

Attachments

• Redimensionnement de DSC00485.jpg
    Redimensionnement de DSC00485.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Redimensionnement de DSC00486.jpg
    Redimensionnement de DSC00486.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 73
  • Redimensionnement de DSC00487.jpg
    Redimensionnement de DSC00487.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Redimensionnement de DSC00501.jpg
    Redimensionnement de DSC00501.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 94
  • Redimensionnement de DSC00512.jpg
    Redimensionnement de DSC00512.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 83
Hey, thanks for this!

I've the belts already, and the idler's on order.

Now, about the pinch roller - it's apparently no longer available, but I see there's aftermarket versions. So, once I get the deck apart, I just get the dimensions from the roller and try to find same-sized replacement? And if so, are some better than others? It looks like you run an audio repair outfit - do you sell them?

Thanks again,
James

Hello !

Do you guys have any tips how to salvage this old gem ?

Yes , you must replace belts , idler and pinch roller then your K960 will be like a new one !

K960 is one of the best tape deck ever made by YAMAHA !

signal to noise ratio with DBX : 100dB !
dynamic range (1khz Metal) : 110dB !

I have this exact cassette deck that I would like to refurbish with the afore mentioned parts as well. Where were you able to find the idler? Did you find a replacement pinch roller? Thanks for any info. you could pass along.

Negative, I did manage to get a belt kit from Vintage Electronics, but now they say they don't even have anymore of those left. I HAD an idler on order from Big Warehouse Spares in Australia, but was just notified that it's no longer available, and has no substitute.

Man - last time I used the thing, it worked fine, than it didn't - so I figured it couldn't be TOO bad. Just pulled the cover off, and all that's left of the flywheel belt and the counter belt is some black goo.

I'm assuming these are the two belts included in the Vintage Electronics K-960 belt kit?

I have this exact cassette deck that I would like to refurbish with the afore mentioned parts as well. Where were you able to find the idler? Did you find a replacement pinch roller? Thanks for any info. you could pass along.

That goo is a bitch to get off too. While I would recommend replacing the pinch roller if you can find it, it may not be necessary. Drive belt(s) and counter belt (if it has one) might be all you need. Yamaha did make very good cassette decks, I sold Yamaha in the early 80's. The K-960 is my favorite. An excellent cassette deck and great looker too. Especially the rather rare silver ones.

Thanks ggregg, yeah, slow going. I'm using a bad copy of the service manual with a lit magnifier to read it while picking my way through the deck. Just finished cleaning the capstan pulley with Q-tips, alcohol, and a touch of acetone for some of the harder to remove stuff. I'll have do some more disassembly to get to the flywheel, and even more to get to the counter belt and pulleys.

Looks like I'll have to be careful with how much I disassemble, or else I'll have to be getting myself some equipment to adjust the azimuth.

Mine's a silver one - didn't know it was rare, except for a look on eBay revealed only black ones.

Hopefully I'll be able to fix the thing as a look on Amazon shows a very limited selection of new replacement cassette decks - and a used one could put me right back to where I am now.

What DO people use for high fidelity recordings now? Probably digital - but I'm not finding any. I've a small digital voice recorder with marginal fidelity, so there's got to be something better. And I'm finding computer software for recording - maybe that'd work if I get an adapter for my microphone.

That goo is a bitch to get off too. While I would recommend replacing the pinch roller if you can find it, it may not be necessary. Drive belt(s) and counter belt (if it has one) might be all you need. Yamaha did make very good cassette decks, I sold Yamaha in the early 80's. The K-960 is my favorite. An excellent cassette deck and great looker too. Especially the rather rare silver ones.

Okay, in the interim, I discovered that ALL Windows operating systems already come equipped with "Sound Recorder" software, so no need for any additional software - and my microphone's input jack unscrews to reveal a smaller jack that's compatible with my computer - so no need for an adapter. This meets my immediate need, and hopefully when I've some more time to work on it I'll still eventually be able to get some more life out of my Yamaha K960.

[/QUOTE]Hopefully I'll be able to fix the thing as a look on Amazon shows a very limited selection of new replacement cassette decks - and a used one could put me right back to where I am now.

What DO people use for high fidelity recordings now? Probably digital - but I'm not finding any. I've a small digital voice recorder with marginal fidelity, so there's got to be something better. And I'm finding computer software for recording - maybe that'd work if I get an adapter for my microphone.[/QUOTE]

Free Yamaha K-960 capstan and counter belt kit

Gentlemen,

With the recent discovery of the Sound Recorder Software available on my Windows Seven operating system which addresses my immediate need, and the unavailability of a replacement idler and pinch roller for my K-960 silver cassette deck, not to mention the cost and time associated with the electronic equipment and labor I'd need for making all the required adjustments and demagnetizing, I've reluctantly decided to recycle it. I see that retail value of a rebuildable unit is on the order of $15 and, for postage and packaging, I'd need about $100 to make it worth my while - which I believe to be highly unlikely.

I do, however, have a new K-960 belt kit (capstan and counter), which apparently is about the last new set available anywhere. As this site has been very helpful to me and I've not yet donated anything but a scanned Luxman
R-3045 owner's manual, and the K-960 belt kit doesn't take much shelf space and would fit easily in a small envelope, as a contribution to this site it's free to the first requester who provides me with a name and mailing address.

Regards,
James Magar

James,

I could sure use the belt kit if you are still offering. I picked up a k-960 for $4 a couple weeks ago and have been trying to track down some belts with no luck.

Thanks!

If for any reason, Bootlegend doesn't take the belts, I would like to be next in line.
If anyone else has a lead on other sources of belts, please advise.
Thanks
Bruce

I just picked a k960 as well for 5.50 of fleebay original owner in storage for 20 odd years un tested but powers on, so I'm looking for belts to there is some one one eBay selling the belt kit but my budget this week is shot after picking up a the 960 and yamaha T-1 tuner, and a idler wheel It-5 that these decks supposedely use n graped the last one he had on eBay just in case as parts for these decks r all pretty much discontinued n out if stock everywhere I look.

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk

Sorry all - haven't been on for a while. I just shipped the K-960 belt kit to the first person who sent me a mailing address (via private message.)

Back
Top Bottom