Anywhere Local?

bad400

Lets say for the sake of argument, i have $800 to spend on a pair of new speakers.
Where locally would i go to hear some good speakers? speakers that are not a box store offering?

I would like it to be in the Detroit metro, would rather not drive an hour or more.

There was some audio store in Windsor that came to the 'Fest a few times a few years back. They had some nice stuff.

I'm super helpful, I know!

Overture is OK. They're in Ann Arbor, like Bot said, go to the SMAC meet and maybe stop in there and take a look/listen. I think there are a few other hi-fi shops in Ann Arbor, maybe check them out too?

Again, super helpful, I know. ;)

Good luck!

Thanks guy's,

How long will the SMAC event go on Saturday?
I wont get out of work until 3:30p and working 12hr day's Monday thru Friday.
These hours make it kinda hard to get out a hear things, most places are closed by then.
I work in Sterling Heights and live in Shelby Twp.

Definitely stop by Audio Dimensions and talk with Harry or his assistant (name escapes me at the moment). Audio Dimensions is on Woodward at Normandy. He has high end stuff but also some speakers in that range. It's a good place to learn about sound, if you are patient.

I'd also try to get hold of David at David Michael Audio in Royal Oak. I believe his store is by appointment only but he has events occasionally on Saturdays. Again, it's high end stuff but he has such a range of gear that if you want to hear something chances are he's got it.

Best route to hear speakers (and gear and systems and music) is to meet folks at SMAC and hook up. There are multiple SMAC splinter cells that meet most weekends each month. We should probably make a list of folks that meet regularly to make it easy for a newcomer to connect - but I can point out a few folks that would be more than willing to help you along on your journey.

I'll let Botrytis answer your question about when the SMAC meet will end this Saturday.

You should go to Sulk Audio in Pontiac. He is a speaker building company so you can see exactly what is going in the box. He is very open to people stopping by.

You should go to Sulk Audio in Pontiac. He is a speaker building company so you can see exactly what is going in the box. He is very open to people stopping by.

I'll see if thats doable, do you know about what the price range would be on floorstanders?

Definitely stop by Audio Dimensions and talk with Harry or his assistant (name escapes me at the moment). Audio Dimensions is on Woodward at Normandy. He has high end stuff but also some speakers in that range. It's a good place to learn about sound, if you are patient.

I'd also try to get hold of David at David Michael Audio in Royal Oak. I believe his store is by appointment only but he has events occasionally on Saturdays. Again, it's high end stuff but he has such a range of gear that if you want to hear something chances are he's got it.

Best route to hear speakers (and gear and systems and music) is to meet folks at SMAC and hook up. There are multiple SMAC splinter cells that meet most weekends each month. We should probably make a list of folks that meet regularly to make it easy for a newcomer to connect - but I can point out a few folks that would be more than willing to help you along on your journey.

I'll let Botrytis answer your question about when the SMAC meet will end this Saturday.

I'll see what i can set-up.

I know good new speakers are more than what i have right now, so i am not beyond saving a little while longer.

What do you guys think about KEF, the Q50's?
I see a pair listed on CL, seems a fair price.

... There are multiple SMAC splinter cells that meet most weekends each month.

Careful with your wording, Jeff. You're liable to have Homeland Security tracking your movements with posts like that. Besides, I thought they were considered Cults.:D

Pricing is on their homepage: http://www.salksound.com/

Thank you, i didn't notice that.

I have some KEF's, from that era, you can hear them if you come.

If 5pm or before is good with you, i will come out.

It would help if you told us what you have and what you are looking to get from a new speaker.

Right now, i have a few set's of speakers.
American Acoustic DS1212's
Polk M50 II's, not really liking the bass or the mids with these. the bass sounds like someone kicking a cardboard box and the mid's are way to pronounced.
Polk R50's, like these a lot.
Polk RT8's, not the best but so so.
Polk Monitor II's, (5Jr's), mid's are a little to pronounced on these as well. sound a lot like the M50's to me.

I want a speaker with good clear highs nice tight low bass and mid's i can tune.
I run a Yamaha R-V1103 avr in one system and a Yamaha R-V703 in the other.
I run the American Acoustic's off the 1103 through a set of mono blocks with the R50's on the (a) section and the M50's on the (b) section.

Sorry guys, i am just now getting home.

My weekends are pretty much shot until September. now, if a Sunday meet happens it would be a good bet i can make it.

65+ hours a week are wearing me out.

I'll keep an eye on this sub-forum for meet date's. never know when i might get a Saturday off.

Off topic here,
I need a good computer tech, i have a hard drive that will not work in a external case but was working when i pulled it from my laptop.
I have 1753 full albums i need to retrieve from the old hard drive, or i'll have to buy them all over again.
Anyone know a good local tech that might be able to help?

Off topic here,
I need a good computer tech, i have a hard drive that will not work in a external case but was working when i pulled it from my laptop.
I have 1753 full albums i need to retrieve from the old hard drive, or i'll have to buy them all over again.
Anyone know a good local tech that might be able to help?

Have you tried another external case? Good chance that the case is the culprit, especially if it was working fine in the laptop. Some of these external USB cases are cheap junk.

Speaking of which, you can pick up another piece of cheap junk at MicroCenter to test it out - the last time I looked you could easily find one for $10 or less for a 2.5" drive. Worth a shot before you pay someone big bucks for data recovery.

Old HD - is it IDE or SATA. If it is IDE (40 pin cable) it needs jumpers to properly get it to work. Each manufacturer had different jumper configurations. What brand HD is it? It should say on it.

It's SATA and a WD black.

Have you tried another external case? Good chance that the case is the culprit, especially if it was working fine in the laptop. Some of these external USB cases are cheap junk.

Speaking of which, you can pick up another piece of cheap junk at MicroCenter to test it out - the last time I looked you could easily find one for $10 or less for a 2.5" drive. Worth a shot before you pay someone big bucks for data recovery.

No i haven't tried another external case, i just assumed this one works sense it has a working HD in it.
I will have a look at microcenter for another one when i get a chance, i guess it never hurts to have a couple.
I am not really worried about the money part, if you add up 1753 times say $10 per album, a couple hundred is nothing LoL.

Thanks for the replies, i'll spend more time with it this weekend. the new laptop should be here Friday.

I picked up one of those USB SATA docks that works fine. Cost about $15. Basically turns your drive into a big thumb drive.

I've got a 320 WD parked in it right now I save all my data too.

If you're close to Microcenter, you could even come over here and pop it in mine to see if it works. Only takes a sec to test and I'm 4 miles from Microcenter.

I picked up one of those USB SATA docks that works fine. Cost about $15. Basically turns your drive into a big thumb drive.

I've got a 320 WD parked in it right now I save all my data too.

If you're close to Microcenter, you could even come over here and pop it in mine to see if it works. Only takes a sec to test and I'm 4 miles from Microcenter.

Thanks for the offer, i might just take you up on it.
I am in Shelby Twp, but microcenter isn't that far from me, maybe 8 or 9 miles.
We are down to a 10hr work day right now, but it will probably be Saturday before i can do anything.
If the new laptop comes in Friday, i will need to try and get the music off the old drive pretty quick.
I was in the process of copying my music to thumb drives, but didn't get very far when the computer locked up on me.

Back
Top Bottom