Focal Owners Thread

So I've recently picked up a pair of 706's. Right now, I don't have proper stands and haven't positioned them well, so they don't really sound that great -- very bright, lacking depth, no perceivable warmth yet. They're still breaking in (only at around 40-50 hrs) so far, so i'm really looking forward to them opening up over time.

So I've recently picked up a pair of 706's. Right now, I don't have proper stands and haven't positioned them well, so they don't really sound that great -- very bright, lacking depth, no perceivable warmth yet. They're still breaking in (only at around 40-50 hrs) so far, so i'm really looking forward to them opening up over time.

What equipment are you using with them including cables? I ask since many of us have not heard what you are using. I will say my 806's are not toed-in very much and they are on 24 inch stands. Let us know maybe we can help you enjoy them more.

Well, I'll tell ya - "warmth" isn't really something you're going to get from Focals. Clear and accurate yes, but Advents or KEFs they're not. That said, properly mounted and positioned, along about the 100 hour mark they're going to start sounding a lot better. Also, are they close to a wall or a wall junction? That can make a huge improvement with most stand-mounted speakers. I'd be surprised if you didn't start liking them more with time.

Happy trails, Larry B.

I have found my 806V's to be warmer and richer in the midrange. Vocals are incredible and easy to discern the individual voices. in my system they are not bright. The speakers need little toe-in to sound their best.

New to me - Focal 1027be

I bought a pair of used 1027be's last weekend. They arrived yesterday. Looking at the written stats I did not think they would be much different in size compared to my 816vs. However, when you stand them next to each other there is a significant size difference. The 1027be's also weigh nearly double what the 816v's weigh.

They were very cold when I unpacked them - two days of shipping in freezing weather. I let them acclimate for around 5 hours but still played them very low. Today they should be completely defrosted and ready for a better (not best) comparison to the 816v's. They did not come with spikes so they are just sitting flat on the decoupling disks on carpet - not the best set up. The seller will send me some spikes. Once I get the spikes I can seat them properly on the decoupling disks and move them around to get the right position. Then I can make the best comparison.

Attachments

• 100_4543.jpg
    100_4543.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 100_4544.jpg
    100_4544.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 43
I bought a pair of used 1027be's last weekend. They arrived yesterday. Looking at the written stats I did not think they would be much different in size compared to my 816vs. However, when you stand them next to each other there is a significant size difference. The 1027be's also weigh nearly double what the 816v's weigh.

They were very cold when I unpacked them - two days of shipping in freezing weather. I let them acclimate for around 5 hours but still played them very low. Today they should be completely defrosted and ready for a better (not best) comparison to the 816v's. They did not come with spikes so they are just sitting flat on the decoupling disks on carpet - not the best set up. The seller will send me some spikes. Once I get the spikes I can seat them properly on the decoupling disks and move them around to get the right position. Then I can make the best comparison.

Congrats!!! I went from 836Ws to the 1028BEs and it was night and day. You are in for a treat.

Dr. Tone - did you get the outriggers? Do you like them, did they help, etc.? I am thinking about ordering some from the same seller.

Yes they work well.

- More stable, I'm not so scared they will be accidentally knocked over.
- Easier leveling as well.

Hello Focal Chorus Owners!
I obtained a pair of 807VW a week ago, and I was wondering what the majority of you are setting your cross overs on your subwoofers at?
I also read your comments about removing the tweeter grille, I tried it but I couldn't tell any difference, am I missing something ?

Hi Leroy

Are you running a 2.1 setup? I have own the 807W and I didn't feel a subwoofer was needed. There is plenty of bass output from this speaker to my taste. However there is no good answer to your question, you might simply do some test and see what your preferred crossover point is. Same for the grill, if you do not hear any difference then good, you do not hear any difference, keep the grill on then :)

Great speaker btw for the price !

Hi Leroy

Are you running a 2.1 setup? I have own the 807W and I didn't feel a subwoofer was needed. There is plenty of bass output from this speaker to my taste. However there is no good answer to your question, you might simply do some test and see what your preferred crossover point is. Same for the grill, if you do not hear any difference then good, you do not hear any difference, keep the grill on then :)

Great speaker btw for the price !

Yes it's a 2.1 setup only. How is it that you feel that the 807w has enough bass? They are rated 50hz with a trail off starting at 80hz. Bass guitars, Organs, Kick drums, synthesizers etc all naturally go below 40hz. The 807W definitely needs a subwoofer to hear the "other half" of the music.

But yeah it is a complicated question because there are many variables from set up to set up but there can still be an over all consensus amost users in general, even speaker manufactures like Klipsch list a suggested cross over point when using their speaker. As regards the tweeter grilles....I've seen a majority of people saying that taking them off makes a huge difference, why?

I've left my tweeter grilles on because if I take them off I'll probably loose them. The cloth speaker grilles are off though.

Can anyone chime in with how Focals pair with tube amps? I'm looking at the new Aria 926 and thinking of driving these with a Rogue Cronus Magnum. Unfortunately, I won't be able to pair them for audition.

Can anyone chime in with how Focals pair with tube amps? I'm looking at the new Aria 926 and thinking of driving these with a Rogue Cronus Magnum. Unfortunately, I won't be able to pair them for audition.

I love the combination of my Jolida 502 and my Focal Electra 1027be speakers. Some say the Focals are too forward, sharp. I think my amp and copper cables smooth out the Focals. The 502 produces 60W - I need most of the 60 watts to get the Electras sounding their best.

I had Focal 816v speakers up to a month or two ago - same happy experience. The 816vs are a little more efficient - much easier to handle with a 50 to 60W amp.

I was thinking about a Rogue amp. I decided to get factory upgrades for my Jolida instead. If you go with that combo please let us know how it works out.

The Focal 806V have grown on me. I had spent some time switching between the 806's and my other speakers. When I switched between speakers the Focal's had less character, less sonic attributes. Certainly a self effacing speaker. Of course the more I listen the more music and less speaker I hear.

Focal 836W Primare I30 Oppo 105D LaCie Porsche Design P'9230 4TB

:banana::tresbon:

Attachments

• Picture 46.jpg
    Picture 46.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Some brand new 1028BEs today.

1028BEs.jpg

Those are awesome speakers, heard a pair with a Peachtree Nova at a local audio store... wish they were in my price range.

Back
Top Bottom