Rogue integrateds

TJLitt

there was an article in Stereophile about a current Rogue Integrated with a tube line stage and class D amplification, that sounded intriguing. The writeup indicated it might be a lot like what I like about my Yammie, but more of everything. I'd consider the upgrade, but would like any imput/experience from this crowd on Modern. Also, if anyone can direct me to an actual dealer within reach of me, that would be nice. So far, a search here located a brief discussion of how a Rogue amp sounded with the little KEF bookshelf speakers but little else. Thanks in advance!!

Having heard the Sphinx recently I really, really don't like it. Plenty of guts and drive but without any kind of soul. Lively but lacking that something makes me want to listen. Some people really like it so hopefully you hear from them as well.

Having heard the Sphinx recently I really, really don't like it. Plenty of guts and drive but without any kind of soul. Lively but lacking that something makes me want to listen. Some people really like it so hopefully you hear from them as well.

More of a concern regarding Class D than experience with Rogue integrateds.

But without any kind of soul sums up my experience with another class d integrated. Of course it was only the Onkyo A-9555 that was reviewed by Stereophile and created a lot of online buzz. It played the notes but something was missing. I was very happy to replace it with the Krell. The Krell is much more flesh and blood.

Last edited:

Actually no, it ws my expereince with a Rogue integrated. I haven't listened to enough Class D to be concerned. If you mean generally, I perhaps. My wife has the NAD D 3020 and it works very well with her Quad speakers. Especially at medium volume. It does lack some musicality at low volume.

Actually no, it ws my expereince with a Rogue integrated. I haven't listened to enough Class D to be concerned. If you mean generally, I perhaps. My wife has the NAD D 3020 and it works very well with her Quad speakers. Especially at medium volume. It does lack some musicality at low volume.

I added that statement about myself since I had not heard current Rogue integrateds. I was speaking of my only class d experience and agreeing with you that class d does sound soulless at times. I did not doubt your having heard that amp.

I added that statement about myself since I had not heard current Rogue integrateds. I was speaking of my only class d experience and agreeing with you that class d does sound soulless at times. I did not doubt your having heard that amp.

That's actually what I thought you said/meant. The clarification that I meant to say (not well obviously :D) was that I am not generalizing to Class D amps and being very specific about the Rogue Sphinx.

But without any kind of soul sums up my experience with another class d integrated. Of course it was only the Onkyo A-9555 that was reviewed by Stereophile and created a lot of online buzz. It played the notes but something was missing. I was very happy to replace it with the Krell. The Krell is much more flesh and blood.

I'm curious as to what speakers you tried with the A-9555? It's been my experience that this amp is fairly speaker dependent.

I haven't heard a Rogue product but from the positive reviews, would sure like to some day!

I just put my Bel Canto mono blocks back into my main system today. They replaced Parasound and Robert Grodinky amps that were bi-amping my CF3s. I find mine to be very engaging and with plenty of meat on the bone.

I do understand many find Class D to be rather clinical but we all have different perceptions of how amplifiers sound or, to some, don't sound.

As far as Rogue amps go I've yet to hear one. Hopefully I can rectify that soon. They certainly have their fair share of fans.

cubdog

I'm curious as to what speakers you tried with the A-9555? It's been my experience that this amp is fairly speaker dependent.

I haven't heard a Rogue product but from the positive reviews, would sure like to some day!

Before the Krell I used the Onkyo with my Mobile Fidelity OML1's and Monitor Audio RS6's. Now the Onkyo is in the bedroom and I have used it with JBL Studio 530's, Focal 806V's and currently an older pair of Ascend CBM 170 SE's. It is a good integrated amp for the money but the Krell certainly outclasses it as it should at 5 times the price.

'Appreciate the reply/info, JohnMichael.

The best match (so far) for my A-9555 is DCM Time Frame 600's using a Grado phono cartridge as source.

I see that there is a "B stock" Rogue Sphinx for sale at Needle Doctor.

Speaker dependent...

I have a Sphinx driving a pair of Nola Boxers and I really like the Sphinx. I have also driven the Boxers with a SET amp (Antique Sound Labs AQ 1005 DT), an Outlaw RR2150 and with a Creek Audio 5350 SE. I prefer, by far, the sound of the Boxers with the Sphinx. I have not listened to other speakers with the Sphinx, probably because when I heard the Boxer-Sphinx combination, I did not see any reason to continue exploring. So perhaps the soul that Art is missing is more evident in the Boxer-Sphinx combination.

A number of people have commented on the synergy between the Sphinx and the Kef LS50s. When I was looking last year, I thought the Kefs were a bit shiny in the higher freqs for me, so I chose the Boxers over the Kefs. I usually am a "speaker first" person - finding speakers that wow me and then finding something to drive them. Anyway, I am going to try a push-pull EL 34 tube amp to drive the Boxers next.

I would recommend having a listen to the Sphinx if you can manage it before you buy.

Good luck and happy searching!
Mike

I just put my Bel Canto mono blocks back into my main system today. They replaced Parasound and Robert Grodinky amps that were bi-amping my CF3s. I find mine to be very engaging and with plenty of meat on the bone.

I do understand many find Class D to be rather clinical but we all have different perceptions of how amplifiers sound or, to some, don't sound.

As far as Rogue amps go I've yet to hear one. Hopefully I can rectify that soon. They certainly have their fair share of fans.

cubdog

Cub..ain't nothing clinical about Bel Canto!

Back
Top Bottom