Recommendations Needed For Bookshelf Size Speakers

4Play

I cannot decide where my thread should be, Modern HiFi or Speakers.

I am looking for a bookshelf speaker. I have read several threads here on AK, I have done some reading on the internet. As much a I would love to own the KEF LS50, these are way out of my price range. There are two in particular that I am considering, the KEF X300A powered speaker and the Emotiva Airmotiv 5s powered monitor. These two are the most comparable I have found.

Size:
KEF X300A - 11.0" high x 7.1" wide x 9.6" deep
Emotiva Airmotiv 5s - 10.9” high x 7.125” wide x 8.375” deep

Weight:
KEF X300A - 16.5lbs
Emotiva Airmotiv 5s - 13lbs

Power:
The KEF X300A is 50 watts for LF and 20 watts for HF.
The Emotiva Airmotiv 5s is 50 watts for LF and 50 watts for HF.

Price:
The KEF X300A is around $799.99 for new and $499 for refurbished.
The Emotiva Airmotiv 5s is $448 for new.

Music Genre:
Jazz, Blues, Soft Rock, and Classical

There is nothing wrong with my current speakers. I'm looking to add a smaller speaker to my audio system.

I would like your opinion/thoughts on these two. If you think of another possibility, I am open to your opinion/thoughts on the ones you recommend. If you cannot post a pic, please post a link where they can be found.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated! :music:

Do you specifically want a powered monitor? If not what sound characteristics are you looking for. The Advents and the Ascends are similar in sound profile. I owned the first years ago and still own the second in my HT setup. If it doesn't have to be powered I would look at the Monitor Audio BX-2 from AA for $498.

If you want a powered monitor, I'd also look at JBL LSR series, they cost much less and are getting great reviews. Depends on your application.

Fellow reviewer Jack Roberts just reviewed a $499 Powered monitor called the Vanatoo.

I am not allowed to link to the review of the speaker for that you have to google>vantaoo Jack Roberts Dagogo>enter

Here is the website of the speakers http://www.vanatoo.com/store/speakers

Thank you for your recommendations. Do you have any experience with the speakers you recommend, how long have you had them, and can you share your thoughts on the sound quality.

I guess you could say I am looking for the best speaker that will give the most natural sound. Powered or not doesn't really matter. However, I can get a stupid deal on the Airmotiv 5s that will be hard to pass up.

Information I just found out.

Emotiva Airmotivs uses a Class AB bi-amped.

JBL LSR305 uses a Class D bi-amped.

Does anyone know the difference between Class AB and Class D?

If you want a powered monitor, I'd also look at JBL LSR series, they cost much less and are getting great reviews. Depends on your application.

I like what I read about these speakers, but there are no videos showing them in action on YT.

Fellow reviewer Jack Roberts just reviewed a $499 Powered monitor called the Vanatoo.

These speakers really impressed me with their SQ. However, the $499 pricetag is for each speaker. Way out of my budget. I would love to audition these someday.

If you can live with non-powered stand mounts, the Epos Epic 2 is back for 50% off at Music Direct. Has decent reviews.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-57507-epos-epic-2-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx

And of course my favorites, the previous generation of Focals at various percentages off.

Chorus 807V Demo $649
Chorus 806V $599
Chorus 706V $499

http://www.musicdirect.com/m-853-fo...ction=DESC&perpage=24&GenreFilterID=0&CatID=0

Two good choices, the Epos Epic 2 and the Focal 706V and 806V. From the videos that are available, the Epos Epic 2 could possibly be a good speaker. The same can be said about the Focals, but the videos showing them in action are very limited. I would have to give an edge to the Focals. The 806V is right at the top of my budget. However, the 706 could be doable, if there were enough videos in order to make a decision.

Another choice I ran upon is the Music Hall Marimba. They seem to be comparable to the Epic 2. Again, there are not enough videos in order to determine if they are comparable. I also came upon the Paradigm Atom v7 model. The videos are very limited if you want to hear what they sound like. The Marimbas and the Atom comparable in price while the Epic 2 is slightly higher.

I would like for you to give your thoughts/opinions on the ones listed in this thread. If you happen to know of another brand and you have experienced them yourself, by all give us your thoughts/opinions on them and give us your reasons why they should be a contender.

Information I just found out.

Emotiva Airmotivs uses a Class AB bi-amped.

JBL LSR305 uses a Class D bi-amped.

Does anyone know the difference between Class AB and Class D?

Class AB is a traditional amplification style. Class D is (somewhat) newer style of amplification that use switching technology. Class D has been around for a while, is just becoming more well known in consumer audio in the last 5, maybe 10 years.

I would not use those as specific inclusion/exclusion criteria.

Class AB is a traditional amplification style. Class D is (somewhat) newer style of amplification that use switching technology. Class D has been around for a while, is just becoming more well known in consumer audio in the last 5, maybe 10 years.

I would not use those as specific inclusion/exclusion criteria.

That is good to know. I am not familiar with Class D as I am with Class AB. Is there any downside on the Class D amps.

Well the advantages include: efficient use of electricity, small size & less heat.

In any event, whether AB or D, the internal amps are difficult to fix once they go defunct.

I've heard the KEF and wasn't too impressed. Seemed more like really nice computer speakers.
My choice would be the Epos, save a couple bucks and spend it on your front end.
They were a really good speaker at $800, a real steal at $400.

If you can find a set of used Quad 11L active speakers, they might fit the bill.
I used to own the 22L2's and found them to be very natural sounding.

If you can find a set of used Quad 11L active speakers, they might fit the bill.
I used to own the 22L2's and found them to be very natural sounding.

Thank you for your recommendation. However, they are above my budget.

Have you thought about studio monitors ,like apogee ,yamaha or krk.I have some apogee pa monitors that are very accurate.

Folks are always recommending KEF speakers - usually older stuff. What about the Q series currently for sale? (q100w i think, for example)? Anybody have a review?

Thanks for this thread - working on the same question myself.

Back
Top Bottom