Electronics stores

Wildcat

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Admin
Subscriber
I live within walking distance of Abel Electronics in St. Clair Shores. I am also familiar with Electronic Connection in Westland (which has a reputation of being a bit rude).

Are there any others around? There used to be so many around back in the day. Our hobby is fading away... :( Anything out near Ann Arbor?

I'm trying to avoid having to spend $8 in shipping to order $4 in parts.

You might want to try RS electronics in Livonia. It appears they've been bought by another company since their website now goes to Carlton Bates but here's their yp info:

http://www.yellowpages.com/livonia-mi/mip/r-s-electronics-1049427

Give em a call first.

Alternatively, post again with what you want to buy and see if any locals would piggy-back on your order to save you some shipping cost. Plenty of electronics geeks in SMAC.

You might want to try RS electronics in Livonia. It appears they've been bought by another company since their website now goes to Carlton Bates but here's their yp info:

http://www.yellowpages.com/livonia-mi/mip/r-s-electronics-1049427

Give em a call first.

Alternatively, post again with what you want to buy and see if any locals would piggy-back on your order to save you some shipping cost. Plenty of electronics geeks in SMAC.

A couple of months ago I stopped at RS for some banana plugs. There was a sign on the door that said the sales room is closed. Mail order and will call pick-up only. Another one bites to dust.

Ouch, I'd heard of RS Electronics. Sad that another one is fading away like that.

My local store (Abel) seems to specialize more in security camera, public address and background audio system sales and installation, but hanging on carrying most common parts as a sideline.

A couple of decades ago, I remember one that used to be on John R. just south of 14 Mile--they carried a large stock of ECG components, and were also a large Channel Master dealer. They went "professional only" towards the end. We also had at least one store on 10 Mile in East Detroit. We used to buy our OnTV decoder kits, sold "under the counter" in little brown paper bags. ;)

Sad to see electronics fall off as a hobby. But thanks to surface mount components, ICs, and such, they've pretty much become throwaways. And the kit companies are mostly gone as well. You can't build an audio or television system from a kit today like you were able to (Heathkit, Dynakit, Allied, Lafayette, etc.).

Back
Top Bottom