B2 vs B2x

Efgen

Hello for everybody!
I want to buy one of this amplifier: yamaha b2 or yamaha b2x
Which of them is better and why?
I am listening a rock and metal: Scorpions, Apocalyptica, Therion, Testament.

B-2 is a VFET --Sounds fantastic --VFET's unobtainium
B2X--Class "A" space heater ..Never auditioned one----Not a VFET model --replacement parts available.

Last edited:
B-2 is a VFET --Sounds fantastic --VFET's unobtainium
B2X--Class "A" space heater ..Never auditioned one----Not a VFET model --replacement parts available.

Had one for nearly 20 years, excellent sound- and build quality. Those 100.000µF/6,3V caps in the class A stage might be hard to find.
BTW, the Class A stage is a low power amp which sends an inverted distortion signal produced by the Class B-Amp to the negative speaker terminal to neutralize any remaining distortion. The solder joints of the driver transistors get broken very often.

Had one for nearly 20 years, excellent sound- and build quality. Those 100.000µF/6,3V caps in the class A stage might be hard to find.
BTW, the Class A stage is a low power amp which sends an inverted distortion signal produced by the Class B-Amp to the negative speaker terminal to neutralize any remaining distortion. The solder joints of the driver transistors get broken very often.
It's about B-2?

what kind of clearance do those caps need? the hole spacing is tricky on the boards from what i can see below:

http://amp8.com/tr-amp/yamaha/yam-b2x.htm

but if you drill through the PCB and get a little creative, you might be able to fit one of these:

Cornell Dubilier 381LQ823M010A452 598-81LQ823M010A452 (non-stocked at Mouser, but the minimum is 1)

what kind of clearance do those caps need? the hole spacing is tricky on the boards from what i can see below:

http://amp8.com/tr-amp/yamaha/yam-b2x.htm

but if you drill through the PCB and get a little creative, you might be able to fit one of these:

Cornell Dubilier 381LQ823M010A452 598-81LQ823M010A452 (non-stocked at Mouser, but the minimum is 1)

The original 100kµF caps are not tall, maybe only 4-5 cm. Very difficult to find a replacement.

The B-2 I like better for vocals, really sweet. The B-2X I like just a little better for lower end musical instrument sound, very powerful. You can't go wrong with either, I currently have both, if I had to chose one, for me its the B-2, better singing sound trumps heavier bottom sound for me. Except, if you have really hard to drive speakers then the B-2X might be better, thats why I got one ,to drive a pair of Ohm F's, and heard that the B-2X does a good job at powering the Magnepan speakers too.

Haven't heard a VFET. The B-2X bottom end is thick. I haven't recapped mine either.

Rock and Metal? B-2X.

Better yet, get an M-2 or PC2002M and rock your socks off. Pair up a couple PC2002M in bridged mode and blow your clothes off.

Haven't heard a VFET. The B-2X bottom end is thick. I haven't recapped mine either.

Rock and Metal? B-2X.

Better yet, get an M-2 or PC2002M and rock your socks off. Pair up a couple PC2002M in bridged mode and blow your clothes off.

Agree. I prefer the M-2, too.

Back
Top Bottom