Wood Glue as Vinyl Cleaner

Also on the microscope side, if I remember correctly the makers of the laser turntable needed the records to be absolutely spotless because the laser did read below the area where a stylus could reach (and therefore save historical recordings that were unreadable by mechanical means) so they did some electron scope evaluations of cleaners.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.

LOL! But he does make a good point.
I sacrificed a carbon fiber brush to brush the glue deep into the grooves, brushing the glue in on a high-torque platter (another use for my VPI 16.5). Of course, completely rinse out the brush immediately after each use.
The question is, how can you get a groove completely clean all the way to the bottom? I don't think that matters. The stylus is not triangular and does not reach all the way down to the bottom of the groove - it only gets vibration from the sides of the groove.

And yes I may be guilty of stating what I should have already read!

However, as I think someone else asked, has anyone ever electron-microscoped a record groove before and after glue cleaning? And factually determined exactly what part of the groove really needs to be cleaned? Exactly what part of the inside of the groove does the stylus actually touch?

Didn't take a gander at the thread ,did you?

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/take+a+gander

When you really think about the glue cleaning method, sure it will take off the dust and top layer of crud and even the top portion of the groove, but it will never get it entirely clean. Why? Because the glue is too thick to penetrate the entire groove, unless of course you water it down, but then there is the factor of: When pulling it off, are you really getting all the glue trapped in the groove? and If not.. HOW are you going to get it out?

The fact that the glue "negative" is playable pretty much disproves this theory.

I think those microscopic images are proof that the method works and that penetration and residue re not concerns

The reason. We try these unorthodox methods is partly due to. The fact that rcm's are quite expensive. If you think about the concept of a Rcm, it seems that a decent machine could be sold for much less. The motors and vaccuum's cannot be that expensive. You should not have to spend close to a grand for a fully automatic vacuum based vinyl cleaner. Its absurd

Not that I'm defending them... but one reason they aren't cheap is low volume. Another is domestic production and probably a lot of hands-on work that goes into them.

Maybe someone can put out a cheap(er) kit?

I think those microscopic images are proof that the method works and that penetration and residue re not concerns

I'm just surprised someone would make a statement like that without looking to see if the evidence is out there. I spent all of 25 seconds searching for the link I posted. This is the same type of person that dismisses all sorts of tweaks as ineffective without first trying them out.

I used to be that guy. Until someone on here shut me up by sending me the product to try out. I think I still have some of that crow left in my fridge. It was a lot of crow. :thmbsp:

Or the OP could just be a:

internet-troll1-240x300.jpg

I get that part.but when I think about a record cleaning machine, I dont see it as a complex design or one needing low tolerance precision parts that would warrant that type of cost......but them again im not a buyer, designer, or product / project manager....I wash a lot of my vinyl myself and get fairly good results. Its messy and time consuming but worth it not to spend $600 for an entry level rcm. I try not to buy vinyl thats filthy but it does happen on occasion. I would be happy if I had a local record store that had a rcm. And you could pay $1.00 a record to clean. This would be great for those few lp's that hand washing wouldnt get clean

This thread is well known and well discussed on other sites. :yes:

As you can imagine, there are plenty on those sites who have never once tried the method nor even bothered to look into the claims or evidence from those who have had success with it, who are not only skeptical and cynical but are derisive and dismissive of the method. These ostriches delight in scathing contemptuous ridicule without investigation yet deem that their stance is aligned with Scientific fact. They will therefore visit this thread with their attitudes.

Science is the discipline of theorum followed by first-hand experiment, and only after first-hand experiment, conclusion.

These mockers and naysayers who look down their noses are the same types who have ridiculed every single human advancement since we came down from the trees. Pay them no attention. They are chest-beaters who love the sound of their own ignorant voices. Replying to their donkey-like braying only reinforces their delusional conceit that they are somehow an 'Authority' on everything.

Ignore the trolls. It's akin to starving their argument.

These mockers and naysayers who look down their noses are the same types who have ridiculed every single human advancement since we came down from the trees. Pay them no attention. They are chest-beaters who love the sound of their own ignorant voices. Replying to their donkey-like braying only reinforces their delusional conceit that they are somehow an 'Authority' on everything.

That was awesome. LOL I am framing that.

I was reading an article last week by some schmuck who was showing off to the younger college age kids by espousing his "vinyl guru" propaganda in which he made a statement similar to; " and thier are even some Neanderthal type folks who would go as far as using wood glue on thier records, basically destroying them".....I was livid, as I have first hand seen this method work quite well.....

This thread is well known and well discussed on other sites. :yes:

As you can imagine, there are plenty on those sites who have never once tried the method nor even bothered to look into the claims or evidence from those who have had success with it, who are not only skeptical and cynical but are derisive and dismissive of the method. These ostriches delight in scathing contemptuous ridicule without investigation yet deem that their stance is aligned with Scientific fact. They will therefore visit this thread with their attitudes.

Science is the discipline of theorum followed by first-hand experiment, and only after first-hand experiment, conclusion.

Ignore the trolls. It's akin to starving their argument.

Hear F-ing hear! Well said.

OK...so back to the useful information.

HAs anyone had experience with the gel glue? It seems to be much easier to use and much cheaper. I'm willing to use a copy of "Signed Sealed Delivered" that has multiple scratches as a guinea pig and post a mini-picture blog to this thread. Yes?

Taken from http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3828620&postcount=932

I'll just let this speak for itself :)

Getting deep into the grooves?

Ever wonder if the glue is getting as far into the grooves as possible? Take a peel, fold it in half making a tight crease, then look along the folded edge with a microscope:

How about that then? This is me resting my newly acquired Powershot S10 (purchased for just £1 at a car-boot sale) on top of my charity-shop find £3 microscope. The important bits are the dark v-shapes, showing a clear 90 degree angled impression from the very bottom of the grooves.

I have been glueing for about 2 years and have cleaned hundreds of LPs with this method now.

This past weekend I picked up (what I thought was) a beat copy of Meddle. It was dirty and scratched and scuffed. After 2 glueings it is almost silent except for the 2 or 3 scratches that actually cause a tick.

Here's the thing: Before cleaning it was unlistenable. There was so much noise you could hear it through One of These Days!

After one glue job, it sounded so much better, I thought I would give it a second peel.

After the second peel it has now gone from a 'poor' to a 'VG' (less the scratches- I would never call this a true VG)

This is not the first time I have glued a second time, but it definitely the most dramatic result I have had.

Another bonus - this is a first pressing CDN and it sounds a lot better than my 1983 repress.
:)

Last edited:
I have been glueing for about 2 years and have cleaned hundreds of LPs with this method now.

This past weekend I picked up (what I thought was) a beat copy of Meddle. It was dirty and scratched and scuffed. After 2 glueings it is almost silent except for the 2 or 3 scratches that actually cause a tick.

Here's the thing: Before cleaning it was unlistenable. There was so much noise you could hear it through One of These Days!

After one glue job, it sounded so much better, I thought I would give it a second peel.

After the second peel it has now gone from a 'poor' to a 'VG' (less the scratches- I would never call this a true VG)

This is not the first time I have glued a second time, but it definitely the most dramatic result I have had.

Another bonus - this is a first pressing CDN and it sounds a lot better than my 1983 repress.
:)

The beauty of the glue! I had a very similar experience when I first started gluing my records. Now I'm an true advocate.

Back
Top Bottom