Rek-O-Kut Turntables - ROK

The textured hammertone grey was the first model from 1955, they then went to a
smooth grey thru 1958, chrome and slimmer speed knob 1959 and later.

Does anyone have experience with their tonearms on another turntable? Are they any good? Sorry for the duplicate post.

Hello, dear colleagues! Please help. Advise where to find the shift knob(speed selector knob) to "Rek o Kut T 12 H". It came with a broken. On Ebay I have not found anything like this. (Or maybe someone has a spare so). Thank you. I would be grateful for any information.

Attachments

• 72822361.yEP6mHni.jpg
    72822361.yEP6mHni.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Wow! Thank you very much for the quick response. Very interesting stuff, and I think some of this might come up. But I'm afraid to make a mistake when buying, because I do not know which thread on the sleeves and on a rod of turntable, whether they coincide with each other? And anyway, of course, I want the original stuff. Therefore, waiting for more advice. Please!

Last edited:
Hello all,

Read through most of the 90 plus pages here on Rek-o-kuts and think i am ready to try and get this N33-H that i picked up a few weeks ago sounding better and looking better.

Couple of questions that i have that i did not see covered (although i could have missed them, i have to admit to breezing through the posts by the weird looking doll icon, kind of creeps me out):

1. as you can see in the pictures, my S130 tonearms finish is flaking off, has anyone painted theirs? Alclad? what color? I'm actually just thinking of painting the arm black.

2. I have a fair bit of hum, it comes and goes, which is to say, it gets worse and not as bad. it never really goes away. I have a new belt, but the original is in decent shape. I have ordered new bushings as well. Do you think its this motor?

whats the first thing i should do here? I plan to build a plinth but want to get it sounding somewhat tame first.

Anyone know what cartridge this is?

I hope this isn't too many questions, sorry about that, this is my first turntable refurb.

Thanks,
Tom
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachmentid=546721&stc=1&d=1413404172

Attachments

• IMG_2619.jpg
    IMG_2619.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2610.jpg
    IMG_2610.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2607.jpg
    IMG_2607.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_2606.jpg
    IMG_2606.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_2618.jpg
    IMG_2618.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 163
forgot the cartridge
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2620.jpg
    IMG_2620.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_2622.jpg
    IMG_2622.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 141
To keep my project from post #1211 on this thread moving I'm posting these pictures to keep me on task. Bought a ceramic ball bearing. The motor runs dead quiet at both speeds, but I have to replace the capacitor yet.

Replaced all grommets.

The plinth has been cleaned up and top plate painted to match the original color. Still have to build up the inside of the plinth, but bought the wood last week.

Platter mat was passed along by AK member breadman1, my thanks to him. New feet on the plinth and shined up the tonearm. The cartridge tests out OK and bought a new stylus. Rewiring the tonearm is going to be the hard part.

Attachments

• IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0497.jpg
    IMG_0497.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0498.jpg
    IMG_0498.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 69
Looking good! If you keep your eyes open, you should be able to find a replacement for the strobe disc. They seem to pop up now and then.

Thank you. I did see Esoteric Sound has some but wasn't sure if they're the right fit. I have to check that out.

The platter mat breadman1 was kind enough to pass along to me really gives it another feel.

Tcomisky,

That cartridge may be a model 371 Stanton. I have one like it. but don't know anything about it.

Can someone tell me if the UC-503 motor is a Pabst motor? I read somewhere in this thread the differences in the motors but I cannot seem to find it again.
Is this a good motor?

Anyway, I have the UC-503. Speed seems ok, i was going to change the capacitor, is that a good idea?
Also, I changed out the .047 uF cap on the switch (it was a wax cap). I changed it to a JBX audio cap .047 uF 630V. What does this cap actually do? I was getting a slight "pop" when switching on, I assume that the new cap will correct this issue.

Thanks,
Tom

I took this turntable completely apart tonight, cleaned every connection, replaced the grommets, .047 switch cap, deoxit and acid brushed all terminals from tonearm wiring, re flowed all solder connections and waxed the deck.
Still HUM!! Could it be the 4uF cap? Or possibly the cartridge? I'm getting hum without it even turn on, if it's plugged into the receiver I get it. If i fiddle with the headshell it gets abit better. Also sound is really muffled now..

Trash day is Wednesdays here.. It may just be sitting on top of the bin by the street..

Ok, I went back and re-sat the head shell 675 times and finally got it to when the hum went away.. Obviously it's the cartridge/headshell.

Last edited:
DeoxIT and some q-tips should be fine, you might have to get after them with a bit of emery cloth or something if the oxidation is more severe. Make sure all the connections are tensioned properly to ensure good contact.

Looks like I finally joined the club, N33H on the way. Now it's just got to get here. I'm shopping for an arm I can afford, and I have an eye on a Jelco.

Now for the waiting.....................

2. I have a fair bit of hum, it comes and goes, which is to say, it gets worse and not as bad. it never really goes away. I have a new belt, but the original is in decent shape. I have ordered new bushings as well. Do you think its this motor?

whats the first thing i should do here? I plan to build a plinth but want to get it sounding somewhat tame first.

Did you ever sort this out? I notice there is a similar deck for sale at the moment on eee-pay.

If you still have the turntable, and you still have hum, how are you grounding the deck to your preamp? Those old S120 arms sometimes have no ground-wire and you need to rig something up. Also, there is a bare wire that comes off the papst motor. That needs to find its way to ground, too.

Hope this helps.

joe

Back
Top Bottom