Pioneer PL-8 w/Shure M97He cartridge

ejd715

Technics Whore
Was able to pick up this table and cart combo for $80 today at a garage sale. Table is 9/10 condition (dust cover has a few deep scratches). Fully functional and sounded great!

There is not much information online about this line of early-80s Pioneer tables. From what little I gather, this one was one of the best from the line. Any opinions?

here are a couple pics:

20141018_163420.jpg

20141018_163921.jpg

#1, the PL-8 is second only to the PL-9 in that series and is a very nice unit indeed. Unit looks like in excellent shape so the price is more than fair. The cart is an excellent match for the ultra low mass tone arm as well. I know the units in this series pretty well and can offer some thoughts if you ever have any issues with it.

No real issues so far. However, I would like to use some other carts on it. I noticed on Ebay that the headshells are pretty hard to come by for a reasonable price. I would imagine there are no after market headshells for this deck.

I have a spare M92E and M70EJ w/M75ed stylus that I would like to use one of these as a "back-up" cart for albums in not so good shape.

Any recommendations with these considerations?

Played a couple albums on the table today-sound very nice with that cart!

however, I tried to take the headshell off. I took out the screw on the top and yet the headshell doesn't move. Is there a trick to these headshells? Im only used to bayonet-style Technics S-tone arm headshells.

The headshell comes off just by pulling, but it can be pretty tight. Try to not stress the arm bearings... one way is to hold the arm steady in your hand and using your thumb press the headshell outward with a gentle, steady and firm pressure and it should come right off.

Btw. is the PL-8 casing plastic or metal? And in general, is the PL-8 a big step up from something like PL-7 or PL-6?

I think its a plastic outer shell on the PL-8 with a nice metal suspended chassis (much like a Technics 1600mk2).

I am not really all that familiar with this early-80s line of Pioneer turntables. I do know that this is the 2nd from the top of the line for the series. Its fully automatic, with a repeat function. I like this a lot better than the PL-514 I had a few months ago.

M97HE is an outstanding cart. Dont use the brush , it eats up highs.
Getting a new stylus for it will be nearly impossible though.
There is Jico replacement for it, also nowhere to be found .

I think you got a real bargin on your TT and cart. I could see the cartridge going for what you paid if the stylus is not worn out. Nice find.

The headshell comes off just by pulling, but it can be pretty tight. Try to not stress the arm bearings... one way is to hold the arm steady in your hand and using your thumb press the headshell outward with a gentle, steady and firm pressure and it should come right off.

Btw. is the PL-8 casing plastic or metal? And in general, is the PL-8 a big step up from something like PL-7 or PL-6?

Panel (upper plinth) on the PL-8 is the same composite plastic as the PL-2 - PL-7. Only unit in the series with cast aluminum panel is the PL-9. I wouldn't call the PL-8 a big step up from the PL-6 or PL-7 but is a step up.

I was able to take the headshell off today-it took some delicate tugging to be able to dislodge it! No damage done at all-the M97he stylus looks perfect-like it hasn't been used much at all.

Used the table again today-plays flawlessly and tracks at 1.2g. Im so happy with this purchase!

Excellent across the board. The arms on those tables are amazing IMO.

Back
Top Bottom