Td 124 update

I use a different mat. But you have to modify the 45 popup to use other mats. Unless you find a mat that has the same hole and thickness.

Another update. My cartridge is breaking in nicely, probably has about 20 hours on it and sounds really good. This afternoon I changed the 200 ohm loading resistors to the 511 ohm ones. This made a small but noticeable difference. I'm not real good describing how I hear sounds but overall it seems even more detailed and the bass seems tighter and punchier. The combination of my TD124 with the SME arm, the Denon dl301 mk.2, and the Vista phono preamp has truly brought my system to a new level. One of these days I'm going to rebuild the motor and do the isolation upgrades, but for the near term I'm just going to listen to music. Thanks again for all the advice and help. I can't imagine anything sounding much better.

Another update. My cartridge is breaking in nicely, probably has about 20 hours on it and sounds really good. This afternoon I changed the 200 ohm loading resistors to the 511 ohm ones. This made a small but noticeable difference. I'm not real good describing how I hear sounds but overall it seems even more detailed and the bass seems tighter and punchier. The combination of my TD124 with the SME arm, the Denon dl301 mk.2, and the Vista phono preamp has truly brought my system to a new level. One of these days I'm going to rebuild the motor and do the isolation upgrades, but for the near term I'm just going to listen to music. Thanks again for all the advice and help. I can't imagine anything sounding much better.

Glad to hear it has come together so nicely for you! Now you can order the base from the guy in Moldova...I am really impressed with what I got for the money spent. Even the seam for the veneer on the rear side of the plinth is nicely done, and the coats of clear finish are excellent. While not cheap, I think its worth every penny.

Regards
Mister Pig

Glad to hear it has come together so nicely for you! Now you can order the base from the guy in Moldova...I am really impressed with what I got for the money spent. Even the seam for the veneer on the rear side of the plinth is nicely done, and the coats of clear finish are excellent. While not cheap, I think its worth every penny.

Regards
Mister Pig

A plinth is on my list. How is the sound? Are you hearing a big improvement?

Actually i have not gotten my arm board installed, I need to open up the holes one size to fit my bolts. Then I need to mount the arm. So I have not listened to it.

Plan on getting it up and running on these days off, probably start on it tomorrow. Sound quality wise it should refine the sound, its not going to be night and day...but important. But it is such a heirloom type table, so wonderfully built, that it deserves a plinth of this quality...and not that shabby birch box it came with. I plan on keeping this table for a long long time, so its worth the investment...from my perspective.

Regards
Mister Pig

Here is an interesting tidbit. i spoke with a person who bought this plinth. It is a maple veneer over MDF. Unsure if the footers came with it at the acquisition price. Which was $1250. Makes me think my inexpensive birch ply plinth with the rosewood veneer is a very attractive option. I can't quite tell, but I think this one looks to be an inch or two taller, but that's about it. Of course with the sharp corners the veneer won't have a seam on the back like mine, since all corners have to wrap around. Still a very beautiful example of the 124.

IMG_2381.jpg

Regards
Mister Pig

That maple is pretty nice. I don't know about $1250 though.

Actually the builder who did mine will veneer in a wide variety of woods for veneer. I just happened to like the rosewood that was being offered. And you can add as many stacks for thickness that you want, I added two layers. Think I will keep my $850 and live with my veneer seam. :D

Actually the stacking of the plinth is like this one, which is the more complicated and higher mass arrangements....not the one that just stacks the standard cut out.

$T2eC16N,!)cE9s4PsSciBRw!PRF0Yw~~60_57.JPG

Regards
Mister Pig

Here are my two latest updates. A Bren record weight and some Dayton isolation spikes. I really don't know if they helped the sound but they do look cool and may very well be a little better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 22

Regards
Mister Pig

I thought you had one of those. I was the first guy that reached out to him and asked him if he could do that plinth with the piano rosewood finish and a matching armboard. I saw that he has sold a few since. :)

I really like the looks of it, its much nicer in person than it is in photos.

I thought you had one of those. I was the first guy that reached out to him and asked him if he could do that plinth with the piano rosewood finish and a matching armboard. I saw that he has sold a few since. :)

I really like the looks of it, its much nicer in person than it is in photos.

Well then I owe you a "thanks a lot" for getting the ball rolling on these plinths. The piano gloss is beautifully done, and the rosewood is gorgeous as well. For the total cost, I think the plinth is an excellent product for the money. It certainly provides a solid and sturdy foundation for the 124. It takes a bit of time to get one, and tracking info is really not available, so you do need to exercise a bit of patience in ordering one. But well worth the effort!! I think a peson could have a nice little brass plate engraved for the 124, and placed over the veneer seem...and it would be flawless in terms of aesthetic presentation.

Regards
Mister Pig

Here are my two latest updates. A Bren record weight and some Dayton isolation spikes. I really don't know if they helped the sound but they do look cool and may very well be a little better.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't those spikes couple the turntable to whatever it's sitting on, rather than isolate it? I don't think that's a good thing.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't those spikes couple the turntable to whatever it's sitting on, rather than isolate it? I don't think that's a good thing.

After several hours of listening I think the isolation spikes helped the sound quite a bit, the record weight not so much. I also lowered the back of the tonearm at the same time so I don't know how much that helped. Whatever it is has made a noticeable difference. It's even more detailed with tighter bass and just better overall. This thing continues to amaze me.

Quick question. Have you upgraded the thrust bearing cap from the original?
If not, that weight will only cause further sag in the stock plate. Which when going over Mr. Pigs TD 124 is the ONLY "fault" I could find in original engineering/machining

Quick question. Have you upgraded the thrust bearing cap from the original?
If not, that weight will only cause further sag in the stock plate. Which when going over Mr. Pigs TD 124 is the ONLY "fault" I could find in original engineering/machining

I have done the bearing and thrust plate upgrade from Jim Campell. To be honest I can't hear any difference with the record weight. I forget to put it on sometimes and it seems to make no difference in the sound to my ears.

Back
Top Bottom