Finally Acquired a TD-124, Would Like to Address Issues ASAP

dennisqle

So I was finally able to find one of my dream turntables for a decent price... It's an mkI in fairly good condition with the original plinth, and an unknown Micro Seiki tonearm that I will eventually post pictures up to identify. I have three main concerns at this point.

1. I believe the platter is slightly warped. I record a video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQi9NjlgKAY Could anyone diagnose where the wobble is stemming from?

2. When I deactivate the clutch, the top platter scrapes against it, and I've read I just need to adjust it. Anyone experience this?

3. There is a noticeable amount of noise when I turn it on, similar to the sound of a reel playing... you can somewhat hear it in the video. Is this normal? My Luxman PD 121 is dead silent so I'm not familiar with the noise.

So I was finally able to find one of my dream turntables for a decent price... It's an mkI in fairly good condition with the original plinth, and an unknown Micro Seiki tonearm that I will eventually post pictures up to identify. I have three main concerns at this point.

1. I believe the platter is slightly warped. I record a video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQi9NjlgKAY Could anyone diagnose where the wobble is stemming from?

2. When I deactivate the clutch, the top platter scrapes against it, and I've read I just need to adjust it. Anyone experience this?

3. There is a noticeable amount of noise when I turn it on, similar to the sound of a reel playing... you can somewhat hear it in the video. Is this normal? My Luxman PD 121 is dead silent so I'm not familiar with the noise.

I haven't watched the video, but I bet I can answer all of your questions:

1.) It's not uncommon for the aluminum top platter to become warped. Correcting it is not easy to do and you might need to locate a replacement.

2.) The clutch is adjustable.

3.) You probably need to clean the pulleys. Residue from the belt builds up on them over time, causing squeaking. Put some pure iso on a q-tip and clean them, taking care not to get any alcohol on the idler wheel.

------------

See: http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/td124page.html

LIGHT ALUMINUM PLATTER

It is possible that the clutch does not work correctly. Maybe the aluminum platter is somewhat round on top, overall, or just partially. In that case it will touch the clutch in the up and in the down position.
Or the platter may be slightly concave. If it is extremely concave it may be free from the clutch at all times. Either situation has to be corrected.
Put the aluminum sub platter on a glass plate and check if the rim is perfect and its edge is supported perfectly well, all around. Even though it is, it is possible that some changes in the surface can be detected. You can check this better if you unscrew the center 45 RPM adapter. (If you are dismantling this center piece, do note exactly what you have done. This makes
it easier to reassemble it.)
By taking off the mat you can check the surface better. There should not be any part of the aluminum platter that is lower.
If the platter's rim and surface needs correction, you should only make changes if you are really sure that you can do that, and if you are certain that the aluminum top platter is the culprit of the malfunctioning of the clutch system.

THE WORKING OF THE CLUTCH

The clutch has the shape of half of a circle. It is a strip which should not have a bend. Check if the clutch is bent or torted. If it is, flatten it. The clutch can of course be adjusted. The drawing (below) shows the functioning of the device. For better understanding you can save the drawing and view it in detail when necessary.

There are three screws with a specific shape. If one or two are missing try to find the same or similar ones with the same diameter and thread. Have one end turned by a machinist exactly to the shape of the original screws.

In the playing mode, the holes of the clutch fall over the top end of the screws. That means that the clutch is in the down position.

By moving the knob of the clutch away from you, the clutch will be lifted and will rest on top of the screws. This means that the aluminum sub platter is resting on the clutch and is lifted also, just enough to let the main platter turn freely underneath, without constraint.

If the platter is not turning freely, the locking nuts have to be turned loose and one or more bolts have to be turned as to protrude more. This adjustment is rather delicate. And you only have to make the adjustment if the strip is not bend and only if the former owner has adjusted the bolts unwisely.

When playing a record, the sub platter should never touch the clutch.

td124clutchtotal.gif

Last edited:
First of all, congratulations on your new table. It is mandatory that you post pics so we can all share in your good fortune!

My 124 also came with a warped top platter, and it brings back bad memories trying to flatten it. I had varying degrees of success, until I couldn't leave well enough alone and it became FUBAR. With a warped platter, the best you can hope for is minimizing the warp I think, its tough to get it truly flat. I ended up going to Ebay and watching, and finally buying a replacement that was flat for $250. and that was a great price, as they generally went for over $300. As more people restore 124's, there are going to be fewer and fewer good top plates out there, and the price is just going to keep rising on them.

Your reel to reel sound does sound like a pulley in need of oil. Actually you should count on cleaning it up, and re-oiling all mechanical parts. At the very least oil the motor also. Clean out the spindle bearing well, and oil it, replace the belt if you are not sure of its age, and check to make sure the idler wheel does not have any flat spots. With my table, I had the motor rebuilt, had the platter bearing rebuilt with a new end cap, thrust plate, and nitrade ball, changed the motor mounts and suspension mushrooms for the chassis,, and replaced the belt. I bought a lot of parts from Jim Campbell on Ebay, and he makes very affordable and good quality parts for the 124. Marc Morin is one of our platter spindle guru's on AK, and he got the one on my 124 in top notch shape!

Oh yes, I adjusted the cluch on mine also. Pretty easy really. Loosen the locking collar on the bottom, and then turn the adjustment pin. Tighten the locking nut and give it a spin. Keep adjusting till ya got it. Then snug up the locking nuts.

These are wonderful tables, and they just need a bit of love and elbow grease to be brought back up to snuff. Congratulations on getting one, and the best of luck with sorting these small issues out.

Regards
Mister Pig

Last edited:
I bought a lot of parts from Jim Campbell on Ebay, and he makes very affordable and good quality parts for the 124.

+1 for recommending Jim Campbell's parts and service. For a little over $100, he rebuilt my TD-124's motor and replaced a bunch of worn parts. He can be contacted via his eBay handle, jec965.

You've already gotten great advice from Mr. Pig and Beatcomber. The only thing I'll add is that, as mentioned in the info Beatcomber noted from soundfountain.com, you should check the top platter by laying it on a piece of glass to confirm that it's warped. If it is, you could send a note to Steve Clarke at www.theanalogdept.com and ask him about flattening it. I believe he's had more success than most, though I don't know if he's still doing this for others or what he would charge. Also, I wouldn't bother adjusting the clutch until you get the top platter straightened out (literally and figuratively). Any warpage could be causing the rubbing you're talking about, regardless of clutch adjustment.

And +2 on Jim Campbell.

??

That icon indicates skepticism or the expectation of arguments.

It's used like that. It's also used in the "I'm very curious about this thread and will be watching with interest." I took it as the latter but will let the poster decode for you.

Thanks guys, great advice all around.. Here's a picture of the beauty.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
...It's also used in the "I'm very curious about this thread and will be watching with interest." I took it as the latter but will let the poster decode for you.

No, I also understand it to mean 'watching with interest' (and pleasure, hence the popcorn).

That's my take on it also.

To the OP: Congratulations! It's a marvelous deck, you'll be very happy with it. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom