Cap polarity

Jpowell1

Replacing the caps 4 seat sent me on the 620 and I have run into a slight issue
How do you tell what the polarity of the replacement cap is?
I feel rather ignorant but never have known as this is my first recap of any kind

Edit Clearly the white stripe with the ovals tells you but dont know which

On the PCB, theres usually a white circle with a white line through one side of the circle.This is suppose to indicate the negative lead.BUT........silkscreening is frequently incorrect.When I pull a cap,I double check to make sure I'm installing a new cap the same way the old cap was installed.The new caps and old caps will have a colored stripe indicating the negative lead printed on the plastic sleeve--Unless the cap is a non-polar or bi-polar electrolytic cap. If they are either one of these two, there is a NP or BP printed on the sleeve as well as on the silkscreening of the PCB as well.

What caps are you refering to?

Replacing the caps 4 seat sent me on the 620 and I have run into a slight issue
How do you tell what the polarity of the replacement cap is?
I feel rather ignorant but never have known as this is my first recap of any kind

Edit Clearly the white stripe with the ovals tells you but dont know which

What kind of caps are they? Electrolytic,Film,Ceramic?
Only electrolytic* and tantalums are polarized the rest are non-polar

* except NP and BP electrolytics.

What kind of caps are they? Electrolytic,Film,Ceramic?
Only electrolytic* and tantalums are polarized the rest are non-polar

* except NP and BP electrolytics.

No fracking idea They are the ones 4 seat sent me based on your list for the 620
The board is marked pos and the longer legs are pos So I got that
Now I have another problem The Voltages on the new caps dont match the old ones they are 50 v instead of 25v

No fracking idea They are the ones 4 seat sent me based on your list for the 620
Now I have another problem The Voltages on the new caps dont match the old ones they are 50 v instead of 25v

If the originals were 25 and the replacements are 50--no problem.:yes:
If the originals are 50 and replacements are 25--Won't work..:no:
You can go up in voltage ,but not down.

Again..The silkscreen marking on the circuit boards can not be entirely relied upon.

Pull and replace parts one at a time..Note polarity of old part and install the new part the same way.

Longer lead is the positive lead - shorter lead should be marked as negative on the plastic cap sleeve.

Again..The silkscreen marking on the circuit boards can not be entirely relied upon.

I've even found polar caps in places marked NP. Weird... but not on a Yamaha - yet anyway. On a Pioneer with a board revision that is not documented. Really helpful. :no:

Back
Top Bottom