Anyone Checked out the new Pioneer PLX-1000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decibel_116

AK Subscriber
Looks like Pioneer has joined the ranks of SL-1200 clone makers.

http://pioneerdj.com/english/products/turntable/plx-1000.html

It has some interesting design features that should place it above most, if not all, of the other clones. The tonearm is insulated with a rubber tube to eliminate tonearm resonance. The upper part of the plinth is built from "heavy-mass die-cast zinc", while the lower uses 8mm-thick resin and the base features a 9mm-thick vibration-damping material, which "results in excellent vibration-damping properties". The specifications are stated as -70dB rumble and 0.1% wow & flutter. Although those numbers are not bad, they are an order of magnitude off from the SL-1200. The wow & flutter number is downright unimpressive IMHO. Based on the Pioneer website, Pioneer is clearly targeting the DJ/club market and not the audiophile market with this one. Nice looking machine, though. I'm curious about this one...

attachment.php

Attachments

• Pioneer PLX-1000.jpg
    Pioneer PLX-1000.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 477
Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like Pioneer has joined the ranks of SL-1200 clone makers.

http://pioneerdj.com/english/products/turntable/plx-1000.html

It has some interesting design features that should place it above most, if not all, of the other clones. The tonearm is insulated with a rubber tube to eliminate tonearm resonance. The upper part of the plinth is built from "heavy-mass die-cast zinc", while the lower uses 8mm-thick resin and the base features a 9mm-thick vibration-damping material, which "results in excellent vibration-damping properties". The specifications are stated as -70dB rumble and 0.1% wow & flutter. Although those numbers are not bad, they are an order of magnitude off from the SL-1200. The wow & flutter number is downright unimpressive IMHO. Based on the Pioneer website, Pioneer is clearly targeting the DJ/club market and not the audiophile market with this one. Nice looking machine, though. I'm curious about this one...

It has been mentioned here before. It's a pretty beast, even if overly reminiscent of the SL-1200. Right now $700 seems to be the street price (for pre-orders) with inventory due at the end of this month.

Under the circumstances, I find it odd that Pioneer doesn't seem to have made any examples available for review. All the "reviews" I found online were just jaw flaps based on the similarity in appearance to the 1200 and on some Pioneer produced videos.

The thing I wonder about is who makes it. Did Pioneers actually design it and do they build it or is it just a really classy looking Hanpin Super OEM? (I'm guessing the latter because Pioneer has been out of the turntable business a LOT longer than Technics has and I suspect their in-house expertise is focused elsewhere.)

I will be watching it carefully though because, if it turns out to be a good direct drive turntable with at least the potential for audiophile performance, $700 new is actually pretty cheap.

John

I considered selling it but probably will take it off BT, I really like it now.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Looks pretty nice but its hard to tell if its as good as the Technics just because they look identical. A clear example is AT-LP120.

Update, just found some additional photos of the turntable. It seems like they used the same drive technology Technics used with magnet on the platter instead of platter on a spindle like some of the so called direct drive decks. This is a good thing because it significantly reduce the motor vibration. Tempting...
https://www.dj-technik.de/pioneer-plx-1000-turntable-angetestet
pioneer_plx-1000_details_2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks pretty nice but its hard to tell if its as good as the Technics just because they look identical. A clear example is AT-LP120.

Update, just found some additional photos of the turntable. It seems like they used the same drive technology Technics used with magnet on the platter instead of platter on a spindle like some of the so called direct drive decks. This is a good thing because it significantly reduce the motor vibration. Tempting...

So, a turntable that doesn't have the rotor screwed to the platter like a Technics isn't really direct drive? How did you come to that conclusion?

John

So, a turntable that doesn't have the rotor screwed to the platter like a Technics isn't really direct drive? How did you come to that conclusion?

John

Well I did't say its not a direct drive. I am just saying Technics design is much better.

I like platters with straight up and down sides instead of those slanted ones.

:D

Doug

And, whatever else it has, it can't have a spray-painted base. Those are awful. Not real turntables.

John

It's being marketed as a DJ deck. In any case, .1% wow and flutter isn't close to Technics territory. A Pioneer marketing exercise.

Yeah, you kinda did: "so called direct drive".

So, from the standpoint of performance, what makes screwing the rotor to the platter "much better"?

John

Just different imo, Pioneer did it on some of their spindle motors.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It's being marketed as a DJ deck. In any case, .1% wow and flutter isn't close to Technics territory. A Pioneer marketing exercise.

Yeah, the W&F and, for that matter, the S-NR aren't all that impressive (even though they're pretty similar to some of the new "entry level audiophile" turntables). And don't forget that Technics marketed the 1200 as a DJ deck too but just you try telling a Technista that a 1200 is "just a DJ deck" and see what happens. :)

John

True, but the specs for the 1200 are cutting edge. Also, the SL1200 was marketed originally as a hifi deck. The DJ bit came later.

Yeah, you kinda did: "so called direct drive".

So, from the standpoint of performance, what makes screwing the rotor to the platter "much better"?

John

well, in terms of DJ'ing, magnet on the platter is the true Direct drive because there is absolutely no slippage possible. If a platter sits on a motor driven spindle, there still might be some slippage possible when applying high torque.

well, in terms of DJ'ing, magnet on the platter is the true Direct drive because there is absolutely no slippage possible. If a platter sits on a motor driven spindle, there still might be some slippage possible when applying high torque.

Well, now you're speaking about a specialized application: scratching and back-cuing by ham-fisted turntablists. For most people, even most DJs these days, that's really pretty irrelevant. It's also something that could be easily worked around if someone wanted to, oh, I dunno, use a GT-2000 as a "battle turntable".

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom