Got M95e stylus, and the cartridge is bad!

elnaldo

Lunatic Member
Hello, I'm fixing - restoring a Technics SL1700, that came with an M95he cartridge installed, and without stylus... So, went for a Jico M95e, withing my budget ($32 or so) (the HE was out of my budget)...

Received the stylus 5 months later, fixed all the electronics... (hard work.. It was pluged to 220V, almost everything was burned and non functioning), adjusted arm height, weight, and PLAY !! Just to realize one channel is not working. So, I took out the cart, and measured OPEN circuit in the Right channel. The left channel measures 1.5Kohm.

Now, I have a spare stylus and no cartridge... What cartridge could I get to use this stylus? Is it any other options?? I could try to sell the stylus locally and get another cart.

I have an spare M92e, without stylus... I don't know if that could work...

Any suggestion will be welcome...

Would you be able to find another Shure M95 xx cartridge locally for an acceptable price? :scratch2:

Hello, I'm fixing - restoring a Technics SL1700, that came with an M95he cartridge installed, and without stylus... So, went for a Jico M95e, withing my budget ($32 or so) (the HE was out of my budget)...

Received the stylus 5 months later, fixed all the electronics... (hard work.. It was pluged to 220V, almost everything was burned and non functioning), adjusted arm height, weight, and PLAY !! Just to realize one channel is not working. So, I took out the cart, and measured OPEN circuit in the Right channel. The left channel measures 1.5Kohm.

Now, I have a spare stylus and no cartridge... What cartridge could I get to use this stylus? Is it any other options?? I could try to sell the stylus locally and get another cart.

I have an spare M92e, without stylus... I don't know if that could work...

Any suggestion will be welcome...

The left channel's right on the money! ;)

Seriously, too bad but there's a lesson here. Though rare, cartridges do go bad so it's best to check for an open or a major channel imbalance before getting a stylus.

As for the M92E, I can't find specs for resistance and inductance online but I'm 99.9% sure that the generator is actually the same as the M95ED/HE, just in P-mount form. What I know for certain is that the N95ED stylus will fit and it will work and, if I'm right about the specs, it'll sound just like an M92ED.

Meanwhile, M95 bodies can occasionally be had pretty cheaply on eBay. You might want to keep your eye peeled there for a good deal.

John

The cost of a Shure M95xx without a stylus in North America is pretty inexpensive.

Shipping even a small package insured from North America to Buenos Aires is pretty not cheap! :no:

The cost of a Shure M95xx without a stylus in North America is pretty inexpensive.

Shipping even a small package insured from North America to Buenos Aires is pretty not cheap! :no:

But significantly more from Canada than from the States, no?

Germany's neither Argentina nor Canada nor the US but I had a cartridge shipped to me from Germany for about $7.50 US.

John

But significantly more from Canada than from the States, no?

Germany's neither Argentina nor Canada nor the US but I had a cartridge shipped to me from Germany for about $7.50 US.

John

If it is that cheap from North America to Buenos Aires ($7.50), it would be a good thing.

The OP could simple buy another cartridge. :thmbsp:

Just to realize one channel is not working.

I had exactly the same experience with an M95 body that I had lying in a drawer for 35 years. Luckily, I had two and the second one was fine.

I was able to plug in an N95ED stylus (busted) into my M92E body. It isn't a perfect fit but it may work. It seems the stylus is a bit loose and needs to be secured properly to get everything to work correctly. Worth a try if you already have both parts

An used M95, locally, is like U$ 100, so getting anything else from anywhere is a better deal...

In the meantime, I've tried the N95 stylus on the M92 body... And it fits !! It doesn't look that bad....

I was able to plug in an N95ED stylus (busted) into my M92E body. It isn't a perfect fit but it may work. It seems the stylus is a bit loose and needs to be secured properly to get everything to work correctly. Worth a try if you already have both parts

Before I posted I plugged an N95ED into a Pro Track 8. It fit like a glove. The Pro Track has a cap on top that extends a little way down the front of the cartridge. The N95ED clears it and seats fully in the body. The M92ED is the same body but without the cap so the N95ED should fit with no problems.:dunno:

John

There is an Me70b cart at a good price at a local auction site...

It might fit but it might not, at least without a little whittling on the M70B's plastic mount. One thing is for sure though. The Me70 is electrically different so, even if it fits, the combination won't sound like an M95ED. It may sound good though, just different.

John

I bought a really nice SL-1700 with a V15-III - same thing, one dead channel! Seller compensated me with a dozen really nice LPs from his collection (even though he made no claims of proper function from the cart) so all was not lost. I'll take my multimeter with me next time.

I probably have a spare M95, and I just did a quote on Canada Post to Argentina. I estimated the box size and weight but found rates as little as $8. Uninsured of course and delivery by 3 legged LLama (or is that Lama?) so might take a while...

Last edited:
Thank's !!

I´d trust a Llama, but not a local mail office employee, so "uninsured" here means "lost". I've been burned 4 or 5 times, "lost" stylus, led lights, STK IC, even 3 Buddy Guy's LP, so never again...

The only choice is EMS (express mail service). And, I've already used the 2 international shipments we are allowed to receive in one year... I think I could send it to some friend though...

Anyway, I've learned the lesson. Never trust, take the multimeter, it's just 1 minute work...

I'm listening right now with this cartridge: LeSon AXXIS II, (the red one) made in Brazil, with a brand new needle I had :)
http://www.audiorama.com.br/leson/#AXXIS II

With 1.5 gr tracking force it sounds quite good

Last edited:
Thank's !!

I´d trust a Llama, but not a local mail office employee, so "uninsured" here means "lost". I've been burned 4 or 5 times, "lost" stylus, led lights, STK IC, even 3 Buddy Guy's LP, so never again...

The only choice is EMS (express mail service). And, I've already used the 2 international shipments we are allowed to receive in one year... I think I could send it to some friend though...

Anyway, I've learned the lesson. Never trust, take the multimeter, it's just 1 minute work...

I'm listening right now with this cartridge: LeSon AXXIS II, made in Brazil, with a brand new needle I had :)
http://www.audiorama.com.br/leson/#AXXIS II

With 1.5 gr tracking force it sounds quite good

Those cartridges appear to be Shure Era IV M97s of some sort, either private labeled or licensed for manufacture to a Brazilian company. It's not surprising that you like the Axxis. The Era IV Shures are among my favorites.

John

Back
Top Bottom