Two big problems with my Yamaha CR-2040

I'm just waiting for the lamps to arrive and after that, the repair of this beauty is complete.

Thanks you, I will be more careful this time. This is one of the most prettiest vintage receivers I've ever seen and used.

Well, good news everyone. :)
Finished repairs, and replaced all lamps with new ones.

I have used the receiver for almost 2 and half hour, the sound is.. outstanding and amazing! :music:

I have listened to many 70s and 80s music. Pink Floyd, Billy Idol, Eagles, The Clash, John Lennon etc.. And I have also listened to Enya. The sound is indescribable. I want to thank you all guys for your help, and a special thanks to Avionic. It wouldn't have been possible to resurrect my reciever without your help. :thmbsp::smoke:

I can also tell you that I use a Cambridge Audio Dac Magic 100 between my pc and the receiver. I play mostly lossless music files in .flac and .ape file format with the FooBar 2000 media player. Looks ugly, but it plays alot of audio formats and have dozens of plugins available. The sound is clean and neutral.

Bad news again, the receiver worked as usual yesterday before I went to bed. It was pretty warm, but not dangerously warm. And today when I came home from work, I was about to put on some music. And then I noticed, the speaker relay didn't click! I'm so sad right now. All fuses are intact, and replaced the three transistors TR915, TR905 and TR904. But without luck. :( :no: The receiver worked just fine since repair, and now this? :sigh:

Just noticed, if I turn up the volume to almost max, or tuned in a radio station, The relay clicked on and off, in almost an instant. The VU meters even reacted quickly with the click-. Maybe poor soldering.

And in the short moment, I hear the sound works just fine. But the relay clicks off again. The voltages seems to be ok.

Nevermind, I've managed to fix it. Some bad small soldering. Resoldered and works fine again.

Remark to the Line Voltage (Mains) in Europe.
In 1987 the Line Voltage in Europe was harmonized. The Line Voltage was set to 230V nominal.
This caused a change in Germany and other countries from 220V to 230V, and in England from 240V to 230V.
My Yamaha Euipment has a selectorswitch 220 /240 Volt.
If Lelle is lucky, his powertransformer might have the 240V Tap, so he can use it with 230V.

Ah ok, so that's why the receiver tells 220 volts.
My receiver doesn't have a voltage selector on the backside, so I think I'm out of luck. Otherwise the receiver works like a charm, and doesn't have any problem at all using large speakers. Together with my Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100. I've added a small 40mm quiet 24v fan that cools the TR915, TR904 and TR905 transistors as they get very hot.

Hello Lelle !

Have you carefully watch the wires at the primary of your power transformer ? Do you have any other wire not connected and insulated ? What color ?

Waiting to read your answer :thmbsp:

Ah ok, so that's why the receiver tells 220 volts.
My receiver doesn't have a voltage selector on the backside, so I think I'm out of luck. Otherwise the receiver works like a charm, and doesn't have any problem at all using large speakers. Together with my Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100. I've added a small 40mm quiet 24v fan that cools the TR915, TR904 and TR905 transistors as they get very hot.
I just purchased this receiver as well and I notice it builds heat up and triggers the power relay so It shuts itself off then comes back on after it cools down. I am thinking of adding a heat sink. Any thoughts ?

Back
Top Bottom