SX 5590 Score!

rhodus

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Just purchased. Will be posting rehab pics as soon as it arrives next week. All input invited and much appreciated.:smoke:

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 296
Nice.
What are your plans for this fine monster?
Is it in working condition?

I haven't decided yet. I already have an SX 1250 but I just couldn't pass this up. I also have a partial carcass of a 1250 that I hope has any parts I might need for the 5590. Buying "as-is". Seller couldn't get sound from speakers but in the pics there were no jumpers connecting the preamp to amp. It's a gamble...... I paid $600.....

Even broken, that's cheap.
Looking FWD to watching the progress.
Speaking of pre-amp jumpers. I bought a flexible set from a guy on eBay. Very well built and they fit any set. look OEM.

5590 Received today

Delivered today. The first I did was install preamp/amp jumpers and hooked up some throwaway speakers to test. IT WORKS! Not great, mind you, but sound did come from both channels once I wiggled the aux input button a little. Tie a rope to my foot, I'm going in!

Attachments

• 5590 Arrival.jpg
    5590 Arrival.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 5590 face as received.jpg
    5590 face as received.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 157
  • Left ch.jpg
    Left ch.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 125
  • right ch.jpg
    right ch.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 104
  • top grill open.jpg
    top grill open.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 158
More pics

Attachments

• faceplate in sink.jpg
    faceplate in sink.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 111
  • inside boards2.jpg
    inside boards2.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 71
  • inside boards.jpg
    inside boards.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 76
  • bad caps3.jpg
    bad caps3.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 84
  • bad caps.jpg
    bad caps.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 84
I think this receiver has been stored for some time in a basement or garage. It has a lot of dust to be cleaned. Also, the faceplate is covered in nicotine. Was NOT in a "smoke-free" environment. I will be doing a very very detailed cleaning

Attachments

• right ch outputs.jpg
    right ch outputs.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 74
  • mix match output.jpg
    mix match output.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 94
  • faceplate.jpg
    faceplate.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 99
more pics. more to follow as work progresses

Attachments

• 5590 1250 side by side.jpg
    5590 1250 side by side.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 5590 on shelf.jpg
    5590 on shelf.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 124
  • 5590 RCA jacks.jpg
    5590 RCA jacks.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 5590 rear.jpg
    5590 rear.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 93
Hi,

$545.00 on ebay. I contemplated it too but it is a fair bit of work. None the less something fun to do if time and money are available to restore it.
First obvious things that stands out.
1) Earlier repair could not even get a complementary pair as replacements (2SA1117 odd ball), that is not such a good idea = you can be guaranteed that the pairs are not sharing the load current very well.
2) Big ecaps toast = more big $ to possibly spend.
Hopefully your "partial carcass of a 1250" will serve you well, as a spares unit

Good luck
Rick

Hi,

$545.00 on ebay. I contemplated it too but it is a fair bit of work. None the less something fun to do if time and money are available to restore it.
First obvious things that stands out.
1) Earlier repair could not even get a complementary pair as replacements (2SA1117 odd ball), that is not such a good idea = you can be guaranteed that the pairs are not sharing the load current very well.
2) Big ecaps toast = more big $ to possibly spend.
Hopefully your "partial carcass of a 1250" will serve you well, as a spares unit

Good luck
Rick

You are right. It will be a "Labor of Love". I could tell on the bay pics it was very dirty at the least. The initial cleaning of the faceplate and wooden cover went very well. I have more cleaning to do but am confident it will shine up like a new penny. Very minor nicks unnoticable without close scrutiny. I have 4 Epcos 22kuf 100v caps on the way- $260. What do you think about those? I chose them because a friend said they were good. My 1250 carcass was missing all the outputs and the wooden cover when I bought it "as-is" so I will be needing some outputs......Thanks for your interest and input

Hi,

Epcos is a well known mfg, so I can not see any issues with a computer grade ecap. 100V caps are not necessary, 80V caps are a bit cheaper. Can not be 100% sure without looking up the specs, but need the exact part number for that. Obvious things are, the mechanical fit, the correct diameter is most important, the rest, well are probably fine.
Another option, is to stick with the 80V rating and bump the capacity to the next higher increment, 27K or 33K, but there are many options.

Cheers
Rick

Hi,

Epcos is a well known mfg, so I can not see any issues with a computer grade ecap. 100V caps are not necessary, 80V caps are a bit cheaper. Can not be 100% sure without looking up the specs, but need the exact part number for that. Obvious things are, the mechanical fit, the correct diameter is most important, the rest, well are probably fine.
Another option, is to stick with the 80V rating and bump the capacity to the next higher increment, 27K or 33K, but there are many options.

Cheers
Rick

B41456B9229M I think it will fit. A little shorter than stock but they are black and rated for something like 12000 hrs

Just ordered parts using the sx1250 bom list compiled and submitted by mattsd. Mouser had all but 7 items in stock and those are coming from digikey. I ordered everything on the list...about $90. I hope to begin prepping boards soon. Many more pics to come.....:smoke:

Possible to have sub'd something else & saved some shipping costs on the 7 from Digi-key.
B41456B9229M is a very good sub, probably better than the original. Not cheap however at $71.97 = ouch
Good luck with the re-build.

More board pics

Attachments

• stabilizer board foil side clean.jpg
    stabilizer board foil side clean.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 35
  • stabilizer board no caps or trimmers.jpg
    stabilizer board no caps or trimmers.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 32
  • driver 2 pre prep.jpg
    driver 2 pre prep.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 41