Yamaha B-1/UC-1 & C1 Recap

YAMAHA B1 / UC1 & C1 recap

Hello Steve

Yes , they are in production , as soon I receive them I will inform Dave :thmbsp:

It was fun listening to it make your frankenspeakers sing though Bungles! That was a pretty awesome experience until it all went awry.
I have NEVER heard bass like that, and the mids and highs were right there with the Kora. Shivers.....

2 are gone completely refixed !

Hope my replacement dual cap boards helped. :thmbsp: :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 01 Before.jpg
    01 Before.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 03 After.jpg
    03 After.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG_7299.jpg
    IMG_7299.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Yamaha b1

Have you ever seen so many B1 in one place ?

If I made this picture last week ! (I had 7 seven B1 ) 2 are gone completely refixed !

Hi Clinic,
most photos power supply board #2 that I seen ...I believe it is NA06668...they all have deep bun marks from those power resistors. I am sure that you working through all of those B-1 have seen it too.

Like this one posted by amp8
Capture.PNG

Besides being ugly, the burned boards traces also look compromised...... I am sure that the board in my B-1 won't be much different.

Did you ever consider making new boards to replace the burned ones?

YIKES! Looks to me like someone suffocated that poor B-1 to its death.

I am sure that the board in my B-1 won't be much different.

Not necessarily, by now I've repaired/restored several of these beauties and I've never seen that board in that bad a condition. Yes, they all saw some heating but not to that extent ...

NA06668 02.jpg

I don't have a C-1 so I can't comment on it but last fall I found this beat up B-1 that spent its life as a bar/club amp and was on its way to becoming a boat anchor. After a good recap including the dual 15,000uF main power supply caps which I discovered were about to fail, a few new resistors, a new output relay, and a few other things and I got it back up to spec and sounding sweet. I posted some pictures of the process in this thread:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=427473
Somebody can tell me where can i find dual 15000uF caps .I am rebuilding my B1 .Please help

Somebody can tell me where can i find dual 15000uF caps .I am rebuilding my B1 .Please help
Hello, welcome to AK.

I don't think they exist anymore and some B-1 enthusiasts have come up with an upgrade for the B-1 with a special PCB which holds 4 single caps. But I'm not sure whether they also sell those boards.

Maybe an expert can weigh in on this subject.

index.php

I don't think you'll find any 15,000 uF dual caps out there except for maybe used ones. Clinic has a very nice replacement kit and I may be building a few more of mine in the near future. You can also try avionic. He made at least a couple of them and might be willing to build more. IMHO Clinic's is the nicest as far as the pictures I've seen go. My board will accommodate 4 CDE 18,000 uF or 15,000 uF caps and maybe others. It's a bit of a tight fit though but it does work.

Thank you Nick !

Yes I did one who works very well with specific high quality caps ! They are all 15000µF/100V/105° High ripple .

B1.jpg

Thank you Nick !

Yes I did one who works very well with specific high quality caps ! They are all 15000µF/100V/105° High ripple .

View attachment 879417
Wow .What a nice setup .. I am looking to see if i could rebuild the old caps by inserting smaller caps inside .Either one on top pf another or side by side .But so far the caps on the market are a little bigger for that approach .I also contacted Yamaha and they don't carry them anymore.But i saw a guy that got some replacements .I wonder where he got them .Unfortunately he can't be reached.Well i guess this is part of the fun in trying to rebuild the B-1 .Maybe i will end up doing something similar to what you did.
Oh ! I just noticed that you are in France ..Which is also my country .Although i live in America.

I don't think you'll find any 15,000 uF dual caps out there except for maybe used ones. Clinic has a very nice replacement kit and I may be building a few more of mine in the near future. You can also try avionic. He made at least a couple of them and might be willing to build more. IMHO Clinic's is the nicest as far as the pictures I've seen go. My board will accommodate 4 CDE 18,000 uF or 15,000 uF caps and maybe others. It's a bit of a tight fit though but it does work.
No..I won't be building anymore. I no longer have access to a machine shop.. I need to buy a milling machine! I like the PCB that Vintage and Clinique audio have came up with better than those that I made.

I really like Clinic's kit, but the caps I wanted to use are too fat for that board, but they look like they would fit on yours so is that near future...near? :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom