New to me CR-1020, minor issues.

Myers9090db

Not too long ago I was given "an old stereo system" by my grandparents, a Yamaha Natural sound CR-1020, Yamaha YP-D6 turntable, AKAI CR-83 8 track deck, an AIWA F330 cassette deck and a pair of Altec model 9 series 2 speakers. My grandparents purchased it all new so I'm sure it has been turned up but not abused. The foam rotted out on the altec 9's some time ago so it was used occasionally at low volume with the bass knob turned down because "thats what made the speakers rattle". They got a new stuff and asked me if I wanted their "old junk".

I have used it for a while at low volumes and it sounds fantastic, but as I start to turn it up there is a distortion in the lower mid range that is starting to become more pronounced. I usually happens when the bass on a song is heavy like during a bass drum note or similar.

At first I thought it was the speakers, but I have tried a different set with the same results.

I'm not sure what to think or where to start or if this is a common problem.

The other issues are the right channel seems a little on the weak side, but switches to the left when you switch the stereo switch to stereo rev. and the volume knob makes a ton of noise but only when you first turn it on, after a few minutes it makes no noise. I got some deoxit for that, but I'm not sure that is the issue because it goes away as the unit warms up.

If anyone can point me in the right direction the help would be greatly appreciated!

This is one of those posts where I don't offer direct assistance with real knowledge; very annoying to some folks, however, I just wanted to say you got some great "junk!" I know you'll get some good advice here!:thmbsp:

I'm not sure that is the issue because it goes away as the unit warms up.
Could be a dirty switch contact or a possible cold solder connection. Don't forget to deoxit the coupler switch on the rear panel.

Probably have some bad solder joints, that is why the noise goes away after a couple minutes - after the unit warms up a touch those connections improve.

Have you tried de-oxit on all the knobs/switches, or just the volume? The bass knobs in particular on these units can make all kinds of strange noises when they're dirty.

Back
Top Bottom