Yamaha RX V1 will not stay on

Nick Danger

What about my pickle?!
Today, my Yamaha RX V1 receiver decided it no longer wanted to stay turned on. Press the power, powers up and them shuts off immediately. I rechecked to make sure that all screw on the back of the unit are snug as this was a known issue that would shut the unit down in the past.

Any thoughts or places I should start?

Cold solder joint is the first thing I would be checking.

Any swelled caps?

Too many IC in there for me to poke at other than those two issues.

Haven't noticed and bad caps. I will take your advise and try to find cold solder joint(s). Would be nice if that was it!

So after giving a significant portion of the PCB components a little push, voila. Gonna let her run just a bit longer and tomorrow will see what I can do about reflowing some solder. Thanks a ton!

Probably annular solder cracks.

Stuff happens.

Remember what I said about your soldering temps. A little hotter and be quick so it flows. make sure your tip is tinned nice and wet. Get some magnification on there and you may even see some of them. Start with the big stuff, wiring, caps, and stay away from any SMD and IC parts.

Do a section at a time and then check the amp. Don't forget to measure voltages and ensure you drain the filter caps before laying an iron on it. A couple insulated alligator clips and a 2-5 watt 100K resistor to ground.

Back
Top Bottom