1st sound, Yamaha RX-777 from CL

aabottom

Swing
1st sound, Yamaha RX-777 from CL

Yesterday I picked up a Yamaha RX-777 receiver (100 W per channel into 8 ohms, 20-20000 Hz, 0.019 % THD, 2 channels) off of craigslist, my first CL acquisition. I got the manual, remote, FM antenna, and the AM antenna. It's very similar to my RX-797 that I got last Xmas. The RX-777 is still listed on the Yamaha website in the archives; see Yamaha RX-777. You can download a manual here. Most of the reviews I’ve seen are favorable.

My main intention for the RX-777 is a garage receiver. I’ve been eyeing vintage receivers on CL, but I just can’t see installing them in the garage where can be 140 F, 98% RH in the summer and -20 F in the winter. If the RX-777 craps out in those conditions, I’ll be less heartbroken.

I hooked up my RX-777 to my ancient Realistic Optimus 2B speakers. I didn't want to test the "new" 777 with my high end Klipsch RF-7 speakers. Maybe soon I'll do some sounds tests. Here are my current options.

RX-797: RF-7 VS Optimus 2B. I’ve been wanting to do this anyway.
RX-777: RF-7 VS Optimus 2B. Just to test the “new” 777.

RF-7: RX-797 VS RX-777. I doubt I'll hear a difference.
Optimus 2B: RX-797 VS RX-777.

I'm listening to FM jazz 89.3 with a RadioShack folded dipole antenna. It sounds great! :banana: Everything checks out so far: no noise on the volume and other pots; the remote works; the “AUTOMATIC PRESET TUNING” function works.

So here are my questions.

How do you think the RX-777 will hold up in the garage environment? I expect the storage temperature extremes to be about-20 to 140 F and the operating temperature extremes to be more like 40 F to 100 F. Relative humidity around here is about 50 to 100 %.

What speakers should I get that can handle this garage environment? I’m thinking some car audio speakers, or perhaps some outdoor speakers. They’re made to handle hot/cold temperature extremes. I have some cheap speakers that I can use in the interim.

Thanks for listening.

Back
Top Bottom