Brrr, New England AK Winterfest workshopfest thread

audiodon

Addicted Member
It's that time again.
Here are the workshop guidelines. I've shortened them, believe it or not.

Workshops typically run 30-45 minutes or are ad-hoc as interest dictates (in the case of tube-testing workshops n'stuff).
Typically, they'd run at 2:00 and if there's a second one, that'd be at 3:00.

Vinyl Workshop Series:
There's been a lot of interest in turntable stuff and here's a summary of the completed vinyl workshop series:

1. Turntable setup:Done! Thanks John.
2. Turntable types: Done! Thanks Adam.
3. Record grading: Done! Thanks Stephanie and Tom.
4. Digitizing vinyl rips, cleaning up clicks and pops, file rendering for digital playback:
Bostown has volunteered for #4, but a delivery date remains undetermined.
Note: Bostown has two kids under age 3 in the house, so he's forgiven in advance if he'd like to delay or skip the vinyl cleanup workshop.

Workshops require three things:
1. Enough people have to be interested in a workshop to request and then attend it.
2. Someone has to agree to deliver the workshop.
3. Space has to be made available and planning needs to be completed.

These are fun informal clinics on subjects of audio interest by and for enthusiasts.

If you have a suggestion for a workshop, please post it in this thread.
If you have knowledge and are willing to perform a workshop, please post it in this thread and I will contact you to coordinate time and location and drum up interest.
If you have knowledge but are not experienced in delivering a workshop or are curious about how this works and would like assistance with planning and delivery, please let me know.

This post is a wish list of all suggested workshops from past fests that haven't been run.
These are for future reference:

1. Headphone Rig Showcase
2. DAC shootout - Needs a redo in light of DSD DACs.
3. Nelson Pass gear listening.

Any workshops that don't happen but have more than one inquiry and I've remembered it will also be listed here.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Let the fun begin.

I've been told that I have a knack of putting good sounding systems together.

I've been considering performing a workshop on audio system synergy.
*What it is
*How to determine what type of synergystic system you want. This is about the scale you want. Do you want a low watt single driver open baffle system? Headphones? Close monitoring? A gut pounding stadium volume and scale system? Face mounted or horns? Tubes or Transistors? A system to coexist with people in your household? A "Don't Touch" system? Focus the system on one music type or general purpose?
*How to methodically build a system to realize that synergy

This is about methodically approaching audio system building instead of looking for that magical component that's going to make your system come alive.
Hint: It's about deciding what you want scale-wise as the first step.

That being said, I've got a commitment that will keep me away from the Winterfest until early afternoon. If you'd like to hear and see this workshop, please don't plan on leaving before 3:00.

Last edited:
Record grading and (if it happens) digitizing both are of interest to me.

Still planning on making the trip as long as Mother Nature doesn't pull a fast-one.

Back
Top Bottom