JBL: warm, non-fatiguing for HK 330C??

Braniff727

Hi Folks:

I recently had to downsize and get ride of my Marantz 2245. I still have my HK 330C and need some new speakers to pair it with.

Big JBL fan. Had some 166's. This time around I am looking for something between 88-91 sensitivity.

Thoughts on the L26, L36, L40 or another. Dynaco A25's also could be a player.

Music that I most listen to: 70's hard rock and Jazz. Also bands such as Thievery Corporation and Zero 7.

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts.

(it is the tweeters they use).

A very prevalent myth, but no, the midrange is the peaky driver on many older JBLs. See http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_L100.htm

The tweeters are actually quite good; see http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_LE20-25.htm

See also the midrange peak, in blue, here; they can be tamed with a better crossover:

spl_drivers_noXO.jpg

I find the L40s and L26s very listenable.

I'd suggest some slightly newer and far more refined JBLs such as the L96 or L112, if you can find someone willing to sell them.

The even later 4410, 4412, or 4410A and 4412A are fine, too but I find the 044 tweeter more subtle and easy on the ears than the later titanium 035ti or even the 052. Just sayin' . . .

:beerchug:

Universities are warm and smooth (The Medallion XII's would be good ones, as would the other models with the Sphericon tweeter).

J2060

If any speaker sounds bright paired with a 330 then it is a speaker that needs to be donated after punching holes in the tweeters. To me that 330 is a classic that I can listen to for hours with its warm inviting sound so if any speaker were to sound bright on a 330 it will sound bright on anything, my opinion. To me JBLs are bright for the most part, but found a pair of j2060 that really surprised me and have been around here for a couple of years, they sound better then a pair of j2080 I had. I know they shouldnt but was confirmed by a friend also. Can be had for cheap is an added bonus.

Hi Folks:

I recently had to downsize and get ride of my Marantz 2245. I still have my HK 330C and need some new speakers to pair it with.

Big JBL fan. Had some 166's. This time around I am looking for something between 88-91 sensitivity.

Thoughts on the L26, L36, L40 or another. Dynaco A25's also could be a player.

Music that I most listen to: 70's hard rock and Jazz. Also bands such as Thievery Corporation and Zero 7.

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts.

I just sold a refurbed 330A and tried several speakers with it. IMO it matches best with sealed designs such as Advents, KLH's, AR's, ADS. The A-25's would also match well. I was really hesitant to sell that 330 cause it sounded soooo good. :D

For the life of me, I can't think of a quality speaker that would be fatiguing with a 330C.

Thanks for the responses!

I liked the 40's. Never felt they were too bright, but probably not warm.

The question is will the 330C drive them properly?

Also, impressions of BA A100's?

Would love to get a set of Martin Gamma 310's, but they are hard to find as of late.

You could always go with a pair of L110's. They are less expensive than the L96's. I can listen to them for hours and they have a very good sound stage/presence.

Larry

I have a pair of Boston Acoustics A70's hooked up to my 330B and I think they match up very well. The A100's would probably be even better!

Yeah, it's funny how certain people and certain tweeters don't seem to get along. I had Ti drivers on my 4430s' horns and I went to AL drivers and they seem smoother to me. Go figure.

I know a lot of people cannot stand the JBL Ti tweeters, like the 035Tis and such. I can never figure out whether that's an objective phenomenon or something more psychological.

The L40 had phenolic domes. The L16, L19, L26, L36, L100 and some others had paper "cones" with such big dust caps there were almost like domes. The ones on the L166 were phenolic with an AL coating.

page2.jpg

L40's Float My Boat!!!

Howdy, Braniff727.....I had, and lost, a sweet pair of L40's a couple years back, and boy, do I miss 'em! I think that the 40's would like more juice than the 330c "Cranks" out, but...... JBL are pretty efficient speakers.....at least the L series.......

Okay, I have also had Dynaco A25's, and I liked them, too....BUT.... they may not seem "punchy" to a rock dude...like impact....now, the jazz stuff....:tresbon::banana: Also, other acoustic slanted music...

Enjoy, gotta go......willhowl

THANK YOU! Anyone have specs on the Frazier Monte Carlo?

Both efficient. One is small (might be a plus). Sound different.

Time will tell. Thanks everybody.

While I have no specs, I do have this receiver and these speakers. I think I will hook them up and report back....

.... and midrange goodness abounds! The sound is very nice coming from this minimalistic setup. I am streaming Pandora from a Samsung Galaxy III, so I am sure sources would also improve the sound. In addition, as far as I know, this 330c has had nothing done to it. I have big plans to hot rod it some day (update all ICs, capacitors, etc.), but I have not dug in that deep yet.

The Monte Carlos are a great match. Other, bigger Fraziers would probably be equally nice, with more base extension. Of course, the Monte Carlos are pretty easy to place.

Now, if you were to find a pair of EV Sentry 100a, they are probably the best pair of inexpensive bookshelves I have ever heard or owned. The aforementioned Epicure 100 are also fantastic, but are much larger. I had a pair of the Epicure 120 that sure were sweet.

I have also pushed my JBL 4410 with the 330c, just for fun. It did a good job, but I have other receivers that will really put these JBLs through their paces.

Attachments

• IMG_20141101_133736.jpg
    IMG_20141101_133736.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
In keeping with the '70-'80s theme, I have been streaming the Steely Dan channel and these speakers and the receiver are really starting to shine! I put a crossover in the Fraziers sometime back when I added the correct woofers. The crossover only had about 5 minutes playing time, just to verify that everything worked correctly. The receiver has been sitting on a shelf for 7 years. I had gone through the receiver pretty carefully before storing.

I do not think you would be disappointed in this combination at all.

Back
Top Bottom