Back in the day (1970)! Wish I still had it!

guitslinger

My system in 1970. Harmon-Kardon receiver, very early Pioneer cassette deck, University Soundcraftsmen speakers, high end belt drive turntable that I bought from my Dad's audiophile buddy (don't remember brand). Sweet system! Of course, wish I still had this gear!!

Attachments

• stereo 71.jpg
    stereo 71.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 446
Looks like the way I lived, no furniture, stereo on the floor. That room looks nicer than the places I lived in though.

Turntable is an early Empire with what appears to be a Rek-O-Kut arm, though it might be an Empire. Hard to tell from that angle.

Great picture of the past, wish I had a picture like that of my first setup!

Welcome to AK

This system and photo is awesome and no need to wish you still had it, you can still have it.

attachment.php

Aloha and welcome to AK.

Reminds me of my first system, except for the fact that mine was all Realistic gear. You are just a tad older than I am. My first "real" system wasn't until 1975. In 1980 (college Junior year) I bought my dream system (Yamaha CA-810 based) that I still enjoy today.

I agree that is probably on old 60s Empire turntable. They were heavy mugs for sure, but I guess damping was good for keeping down outside vibrations. The little housing on the left came off and was where the motor pulley met the thin little drive belt, which was made out of soft rubber. My father had one until the late 70s when he finally got tired of the rather heavy weight and replaced it with something lighter. They were not very portable.

Back
Top Bottom