Yamaha cr820 vs. Carver/NAD combo

vintagetuber

Spin to Win
Subscriber
I acquired a Carver m500t a while back, and used it with an NAD 1600 pre. I was immediately satisfied with the sound when used with my HK tt and KEF 103/4 Reference. Despite this satisfaction, I dug out my Yamaha cr820 and substituted it for the Carver/NAD combo, just to see how it compared. I don't know if I will go back! This Yamaha is awesome, not to mention it looks really good. Dave Brubeck is clicking and clacking to "Unsquare Dance" as I type, and it never sounded better. I realize that some folks just hate old Bob Carver, but I will never give up my m500t, (unless maybe I were to use the money to rebuild my Dyna Stereo 70). Anyway, anyone else running the 820 out there?

There is lots to be said for Yamaha's "Natural Sound" design philosophy.

Remember, no other company produces the instruments that music is made with(guitars, pianos etc) AND the gear to listen to that music.

Also keep in mind that for whatever reason, some gear just worrks better with other gear. You may find a set of speakers to go with your Carver/NAD combo that will have you going WOW all over again. It's called synergy, sometimes you got it, other times, not so much.

Try this.....Hook your Carver to the pre outs of the 820 and get the great sound with plenty of power too....

I have a CR-420 and a CR-620 at the moment. Both are outstanding. Surprisingly I like the sound of the 420 just a little bit better even though it runs much hotter with my 4-ohm JBL speakers.

I'd love to hear an 820 sometime. Love Yamaha's stuff.

I also have an RX-360 that still sounds very very good and is a super-classy piece despite it's early 90's design aesthetic.

Hmmm I had a NAD 1600 .. once.
That's an oldster and also likely in need of maintenance I suspect
Mine was warm and pleasant but not an outstanding pre, being lowish on presence/detail.
Also had a St70 (from new) modded the heck out of it with Curcio bits (lotsa $),
a few years later Brother's then new NAD totally outclassed it.. True.
Tread lightly.

Back
Top Bottom