Paying It Forward

musichal

poet emeritus
My Direct Care Provider (nurse aid) is a middle-aged Mexican woman named Norma. Her agency assigned me several different workers previous to her, who were mostly no-shows. A couple were new to the agency but quit within a few days due to finding jobs which paid more than $8/hr. One was too afraid of cats to enter my home, and also rude, completely lacking in communication skills.

The agency called and warned me that Norma's English wasn't very good, but that she is a good worker. Fine, send her on. That was a few months ago.

Well, she's worth her weight in gold. Not only does she assist me with personal care, she cooks, cleans, launders, dusts, vacuums and has even learned how to connect speakers and audio components under my supervision. She even does windows - inside &/or out. Best of all, she does all of these things (except the audio stuff) without prompting. It's rare to find someone like her, self-motivated and self-starting, in such a job; at least that was my experience as an RN.

She comes in twice a week for three hours (6 hrs/wk total). Tuesday she asked me how much the speakers cost we were hearing. They were a pair of the Paradigm Mini Monitor v3 and I knew they were beyond what she could afford, but she said she liked the way TV sounded at my house. I told her I'd see if I could put something more affordable together for her.

So today soon after she arrived I asked her to get some speakers out of my closet, a pair of Zenith Allegro 3000 speakers in good condition both cosmetically and functionally. Then I had her look for a box labeled "Lepai." After we wired it up, I connected my Zune and asked her how it sounded to her. She thought it sounded very good.

"Great," I replied, "It's yours," indicating the amp, speakers and cables.

"Uh... how much?" she asked.

"Well, I was thinking free," I answered, "I hope you don't want me to pay you to take them away. Free's my best offer."

She must have thanked me a dozen times, and she was smiling, too. No, thank you, Norma. Which was exactly my reply. I think the home-made tortillas have cooled enough for me to put them in the fridge on my stumbling way to bed for a nap.

Last edited:
AWESOME for you! My wife works as a home care provider, and it really does take the heart of a servant. This morning she found out that a gentleman she took care of for several months passed away. He was just a "client"--but she had taken the time to get to know him; so it was really hard for her.

So thank you for really appreciating your care provider, and for your kindness. :thmbsp:

That's really cool of you, and a neat way to show someone you care and appreciate what they do. Kudos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Musichal--You’re the greatest!! The Allegro 3000 is one of my favorite speakers and that little chip amp does a great job (I have my 3000 set connected to the little 8 watt Sonic Impact amp and using the old Playstation1 as CD source) and I enjoy the sound coming from just a 30 clam system. Thanks for sharing your short story and this personal experience about giving. There is no better feeling than the “joy of giving”.

Outstanding, Roy. Simply outstanding. :yes: :thmbsp:

Ah hell, that's a solid :thmbsp: :thmbsp: :thmbsp:

Thank you all for the kind comments; I guess we all like to have something nice said about us. However, it is Norma's back I wished to pat and not my own - I'm actually a crotchety old bastahd, she's the hero.

You are lucky to have Norma; such people are hard to find. I wish I could find a Norma for my mom.

I hope she enjoys the music.

Back
Top Bottom