Reciever info

CD = Civil Defense (CONELRAD).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONELRAD

CONELRAD_AM_DIAL_LARGE.jpg

Is that a tone control knob in the center of that indicator needle? I had a nice old wooden Zenith that I used in a fishing camp for years before I discovered it had a tone control there.

Ha - the '62 Caddy radio has those markings on the dial too. Only recently found out what they were for.

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 24
Ha - the '62 Caddy radio has those markings too.

Now that's a pretty radio! I had the factory order form on a 64 Buick Riviera that I owned which had an FM radio and electric antenna with a reverb deal that mounted in the trunk. The radio package was 375 dollars, while the dual AFB four barrel package it had, was 175. Go figure? :dunno: I guess FM was a heck of a big deal in 1964.

Now that's a pretty radio! I had the factory order form on a 64 Buick Riviera that I owned which had an FM radio and electric antenna with a reverb deal that mounted in the trunk. The radio package was 375 dollars, while the dual AFB four barrel package it had, was 175. Go figure? :dunno: I guess FM was a heck of a big deal in 1964.

Thanks. That's a "Wonderbar" radio too (autoscan feature). Tube radio too!

Yup - new tech gear cost $$$ back in the day while mechanical upgrades were relatively inexpensive.

Still have yet to hear warning of a "Ruskie" invasion at either of those triangles. :D

Still have yet to hear warning of a "Ruskie" invasion at either of those triangles. :D

I remember the CD drills, back in grade school,,, fire siren went off, and we lined up and marched down to the basement... as opposed to fire drills, and leaving the building,,,
Yep,,, I'm that old!!!

Regards,
John

I remember the CD drills, back in grade school,,, fire siren went off, and we lined up and marched down to the basement... as opposed to fire drills, and leaving the building,,,
Yep,,, I'm that old!!!

Regards,
John

Now that you mention that, I think I remember going to the basement too. I'm 53, would that be about right, started kindergarten in 66 I think.

Ha, Yep, that will save your butt.:D

Was there ever an edition of that wonderbar that was controlled with a foot operated switch like the old headlight dimmers? I don't know why, but for some reason I was thinking maybe there was?? :scratch2: There were some cool speedometers back then too, and remember the Dodge (I think) with the squarish oval steering wheel? I saw one of those on an old station wagon in a junk yard, back when there were junk yards.

Ha, Yep, that will save your butt.:D

Was there ever an edition of that wonderbar that was controlled with a foot operated switch like the old headlight dimmers? I don't know why, but for some reason I was thinking maybe there was??

Your memory serves you well. There was indeed a foot operated switch to activate the scan feature. I once owned a '60 Cadillac Series 62 convertible with that option.

Your memory serves you well. There was indeed a foot operated switch to activate the scan feature. I once owned a '60 Cadillac Series 62 convertible with that option.

Hey! Maybe I've got more cells up there than I thought. I know the old Canadian Club killed off a bunch of them back in my drinking days.:thumbsdn:

Another option that Riv had was a remote trunk release in the glove box. It was basically an air bulb like on a blood pressure spygmomenometer that you would squeeze. That damn car was LOADED, even had the 2.10 fold down purse hook on the dash, kleenex dispenser, etc... Everything except cruise, which I don't think he could get because of the dual quads, and the windshield mount compass.

Just pulled the same machine from my pile here in KC. Cleaned the controls and fired-it-up. After an hour, no smoke.. yet... Imagining that Sinatra was the last signal on the speakers out. Thanks for the thread!

Back
Top Bottom