Vintage speakers to go with my Yamaha CR2020

10sguru

Now that I have managed to score a CR2020 who can recommend a set of vintage speakers worthy of this beast? I may be old but I still like it loud:D. Classic rock, Zep, Stones, Hendrix, Who, Deep Purple, Zabbath, etc as well as newer rock, Faith No More, Korn, Nickleback, Tool, Disturbed, Sevendust, Three Doors Down, etc. Room size is 10' x 14'. By the way I have managed to keep the two sets of Epicure 11's that I had back in the day when I had a CR1020. I remember going back and forth between the Epicures and the Large Advent.

Last edited:
Not enough info about room size, music preferences etc but SpeakerLab 7s will do the trick. :)

I think that the venerable Large Advents are a great match...I had two friends in college with that set-up.

Polk monitor 7
Yamaha-Polk synergy is well known....
but sure won't argue against those Yamaha speakers mentioned

i'm using NLA on pretty much everything. Also have a pair of powered advents which were original until 2008. Then when an amplifier burned up AGAIN for no apparent reason I built my own amplifiers for them which bolt up to the original heatsinks and hardware. Only difference is mine are 200W + 50W, use linkwitz-riley crossovers and don't burn up :) I can even go to bed with them on now.

The amplifiers I built are LM3886 based.

I love the sound of all of the Advents, and also KLH speakers from the 50s and 60s. There is just something *right* about the sound.

Hi, I have recently purchased a mint CR2020 and need some speakers also but I was thinking that I would like to buy a pair of Dali Ikon 6's instead of trying to find a good pair of vintage speakers.
Has anyone tried this combo or should I just hang out for a pair of the aforementioned NS 690's (which look awesome BTW)?

If it helps, my music taste is remarkably similar to the originator of this thread with a healthy dose of electronica such as drum n bass and indie rock such as Radiohead, Pj Harvey, White Stripes etc

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with Polk 7's, I owned 7c's for about 20 years.

My first thought though was for Polk 10's.

I had a CR-1020 and traded it, but I liked the Polk 7's and the New Large Advents with it. The NS-690's and the 1000's shattered my ears because no class "A". Just me I guess.

Back
Top Bottom