album storage: bin or shelf?

I have an expedit 2x2 and while it works very well and is really sturdy I don't like looking for what I want to listen to by looking at the spines. It's ok if you know exactly what you want to listen to, but if you want to browse for something that catches your eye it doesn't work very well.

Now if you have A LOT of albums as many do then the bins would take up a lot of room since you can't really go vertical with them. Me I have around 350 or so, so the bins would work well.

I just got done building a wall rack for my cds and dvds and have room to build something on the floor underneath it. After seeing the bins I think that is going to be my next project.

Attachments

• DSCN0621.jpg
    DSCN0621.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 103
4x4 expedit cannot be used on its side. Then again, it's a 4x4, so you don't need to.

I have a 2x4 on its side, overstuffed with records, and with books, more records and a VPI on top of it, and it's solid as heck. the 2x4 (shown in the link) is fine to use either way. Many people here use it as an LP shelf, and given the weight and rigidity it offers when fully loaded, as their TT stand.

Here's my setup (5x1 has been sold and replaced by a 2x4)
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3166779&postcount=53

Thread on storage:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=260656

I don't own the expedits, but I have heard they are not designed to be used on their side. I don't think they'll support the load that way.

Edit: If I had a man-cave or dedicated listening space, I'd consider bin storage, but I don't really like the looks of the ones pictured. They look flimsy/cheap.

I'm using a bakers rack for my main storage and then a repurposed stereo rack for my favorites and then the small space at the bottom of my audio rack for my most played list. I'll post pics this evening. The stereo rack is a nice one I picked up at the thrift. A bit of tlc and it was solid as a rock.

If I was to buy a setup though, I would pick the bin. There is something right about sorting through the albums by covers rather than the end labels.

Last edited:
I am definitely in the "bin" camp, I had been using a shelf setup and it drove me absolutely crazy trying to find anything by reading the spines. I would never do that again unless space issues forced me into it. I prefer to be able to flip through the albums as you would in a record store.

I have gone to using a bunch of those plastic storage bins like you can find in WalMart, Target, etc. They are obviously not very high on the WAF scale, but they have lids and can be moved around if needed. And it is easy to flip through the records this way, I can locate just about any album in my collection in a few seconds.

Library style shelving is the only option for me, I just don't have the space for bins to hold 20K records.

I build my own shelving with 1/2 plywood fitted together with dado joints, and assembled with wood glue and a brad air-gun. All shelving backed with a sheet of 1/8" hardboard to increase strength and rigidity.

From what I know of the Expedit, it is dangerous to use them on their side as the optimum load bearing is in the upright position. If I were to use an Expedit, I'd definitely put a hardboard backing on it.

I was taught to keep records in a cabinet with doors. Now grant it my collection isn't that large, but as it grows I will always try to keep my collection behind doors. Dust is my arch enemy!

Attachments

• DSCF3864.jpg
    DSCF3864.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
+1 Expedia. They look smart and are quite sturdy when put together properly. Currently at ~425 lp's and have room for 600. That should be plenty for me as i'm already selling off those that don't play at least VG++ clean.

I think there is no substite for browsing trough your LP's in a bin system.
It is not just for storing, but adds a special dimension to the hobby.
Love the feeling. See my DIY bin system attached.

-John-

Attachments

• DIYbin1.jpg
    DIYbin1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 131
  • DIYbin2.jpg
    DIYbin2.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 101
Thanks for pointing that out. Are those really sturdy?

I've heard a couple of stories about them collapsing, but I don't know how much weight (!) to give that.

They absolutely collapse.. If you build them or turn them on their sides. Put together correctly on a strong level floor, they are sturdy as heck. And I am sure there are plenty of links here, but make sure you use some sort of wall brace or supplied bracket to secure it, and if you can, put a back board on it for extra strength. Lastly a bit of 1x3 cut and laid behind the albums to keep them forward in the slot. I just got my second set (4X4 bins) and for the moment it has me on the way to being cleaned up and organized.

Attachments

• Expedit1125.jpg
    Expedit1125.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 118

-John-

Very nice! Well designed and fine craftsmanship. :thmbsp::thmbsp:

-John-

Heavy duty....very nice! :thmbsp:

i vote for record store rack style. flipping through your albums is way better than breaking out the bi-focals and straining your eyes looking at the spines

I mentioned before that I created an lp bin out of a single sheet of 4x8 premium ply. This is what it looks like. Another member expressed interest in seeing some pics. I used a paint finish to make it appear old and beat up but you can paint or stain it in any way you like.

I cut the board with a contractors saw and used wood glue and a nail gun to piece it together. You can build it in about 1-2 hours. I forget my exact measurements but if anyone needs them i'll measure it for you.

PB185526.jpg

PB185525.jpg

Ikea expedit here - I've only got about 200 or so albums right now. Mounted to the wall and stacked the correct way it's a very sturdy shelf. There are pics of them collapsed but those were attributed to the shelf being stacked the incorrect way and NOT being attached to the wall;)

c00ae332.jpg

I'm not a huge fan of furniture that's not actual solid wood - but I'm very pleased with the Expidit so far. Can't beat that level of storage for $129:)

I mentioned before that I created an lp bin out of a single sheet of 4x8 premium ply. This is what it looks like. Another member expressed interest in seeing some pics. I used a paint finish to make it appear old and beat up but you can paint or stain it in any way you like.

I cut the board with a contractors saw and used wood glue and a nail gun to piece it together. You can build it in about 1-2 hours. I forget my exact measurements but if anyone needs them i'll measure it for you.

Yes please:yes:

Thanks, Steve

The 2x4 Expedit can be used on its side. This picture is a testament to its strength. That's a Sansui G9000DB (~70 lbs) set on top with a 2x4 Expedit chock full of LP's. Solid as a rock. Also a steal at $69.

Attachments

• stereo.jpg
    stereo.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 235
Re: Chimpkin's cool record bin

Yes please:yes:

Thanks, Steve

I'll ditto that and go further to request a opening a thread in the DIY section. :yes:

Living in an efficiency apartment almost forces us into being Ikea freaks. Those expedits have a very good price/performance ratio.

Attachments

• expedit.jpg
    expedit.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom