"Vintage" CDPs; what are you running?

The lens fell out on this one. Every time I've gotten one that didn't read discs, it has either been a missing lens or a dirty lens. I have also gotten some where the motor made a bit of noise.
I just swapped in the whole left side (changer/laser/motor) from my PD-M510, since those parts were all identical. Doing all three made it really quick and easy, since the wires were all bundled together.

That is right. According to the Russian-maintained list of CD transports and DACs, the Pioneer changers in the early productions were of PYW1009/PWY1010. They read discs upside down (i.e. the printed side facing down on the cd tray/changer magazine). One of my friends told me that the missing lenses were because of brittle glue coming of age. He suggested using the lens from a Sony KSS-213 (A/B/C/D etc), and glue it back.

Later, I bought a Nakamichi CDC-3A six-disc changer with the same PYW1009 pick-up assembly, and the CD pick-up lens was absent. The seller of this CDP on the ePay site said it was non-working so I got it cheap. I bought 4 new KSS-213A lens and pick-up head for a song and used the lens from it to repair the Nak. Surprisingly, it worked after a little tweaking on the trim pots on the laser servo board. It sounds surprisingly good as it runs a TDA-1541A DAC of Philips, and the 4X upsampling from SOny CX1088.

Dual CD 120 (Hitachi DA-1000)
Saba CD 380 (Hitachi DA-1000)
Sony CDP 101
Technics SL-P1200
Bang&Olufsen Beogram CD 3300

and more...

Since post #78 I have replaced the Kenwood DP-7010 with a Philips CD-40 and the Denon DCD-800 with a Philips CD--630. So all CDP are using the Philips TDA-1541 chip.

Recently added a Denon DCD-3300 to the collection. It is built like a tank, weighs a ton and is modded with upgraded opamps and caps. It now really sounds as good as any CDP I've heard. Very surprising.

I still have a Denon DCD 620 that I bought new in the eighties. It's in my wife's kitchen system, with my old NAD 3020 and some new Wharfdale Diamond 10.1s. It sounds OK and works, but is not built like a tank, more like a light-duty pickup. It has an easy-to-understand-once-shown "+10" button, so you can select say, track 16 by pressing "+10" and "6".

Sony CDP 605 ES
Sony CDP 508 ES
Sony CDP 550
Sony CDP 491
Sony CDP 102
Krocera DA- 310 CX
Technics Sl-P3
Luxman D-404

They are all fully functional except the sony CDP 102 is starting to have some issues playing the 1st few tracks of a cd.

I think thats it!!!

Same machine inside, differently styled faces:
b226_red_black_2-vi.jpg

ACD-11
Parasound C\DP 1000
ADC 16\2
Luxman DZ-92
Kenwood DP100B
Kyocera 310CX

The kenwood is my favorite,$6.99 at Value village,It is big and heavy and the open button is on the door.

It's been seven years since I posted on this thread, and it inspired me today to unpack my old transport + DAC, to hear if they really sounded better than my blu-ray player. Alas, the DAC was dead - powers up, no signal. The transport plays thru another DAC just fine, but I'm left without any real CD players, my Realistic being long gone.

It's been seven years since I posted on this thread, and it inspired me today to unpack my old transport + DAC, to hear if they really sounded better than my blu-ray player. Alas, the DAC was dead - powers up, no signal. The transport plays thru another DAC just fine, but I'm left without any real CD players, my Realistic being long gone.

What model is the DAC?

Recently I dug out my vintage (1984) Philips CD104...still works 100% and sounds very nice with it. In fact,I prefer it's SQ to my vintage Sony CDP-101 (1983) and CDP-102 (1984) CDP's...It's a heavy little thing that's built like a tank!

006_zpsb0b946c3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
012_zps3272ec6a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Listening to my Arcam Alpha MCD as I type; I keep it, and the Alpha 9 CDP, well-maintained. I recently bought Kimber Silver Streak interconnects for the Alpha 9, and it sounds fantastic.

Can't forget my trusty Harman Kardon FL8450 in my 2nd system; reliable, and sounding great after almost 20 years.

I think used CD's are the best audio bargain out there right now; combine those with a good vintage CDP, and you're getting some good music.
Jeff

Adcom GCD-600s. I have four of 'em, two work properly, two have no analog output but work just fine as transports--the digital signal is available to be converted by an outboard DAC, and they even respond to the remote control--except for the analog volume control, as there is no analog output.

Someday, I'll take another look inside to see if I can fix 'em.

The GCD-600 were typically made in Japan, and used the 16 bit TDA1541 Phillips DA chip. The GCD-700 were typically made in China and used an 18- or 20-bit DA chip. I have no use for the '700.

TEAC PD D850

Has a nice full sound and you can listen to it 24/7. For a 5 disk changer the controls operate logically so you know what is going on with the player. :thmbsp:

JVC XL-M401 changer, made in '89. Sounds pretty good considering it's a changer, it's not made by a company really known for high end quality and it was a whopping $5.

Interestingly I've found 4 magazines for it over the last couple years I've had it but no more JVC changers. I did find someone who bought an AX-S331 and XL-V333 new and wishes he had gotten the changer though.

yamaha cdc 775 in the living room, pioneer dv 50a in the bedroom and a rca crw 121 in the shed. i have others but they are just on my storage shelves until i decide what to do with them. i prefer changers i hate getting up to change a disc all the time so my yamaha sounds good to my ears, but im always up to here if there is something better i should be listening to.

Picked up a Marantz CD72 a couple of weeks ago but the transport gear has disintegrated but have ordered a replacement .
This will become my main player

JVC XL-M401 changer, made in '89. Sounds pretty good considering it's a changer, it's not made by a company really known for high end quality and it was a whopping $5.

Interestingly I've found 4 magazines for it over the last couple years I've had it but no more JVC changers. I did find someone who bought an AX-S331 and XL-V333 new and wishes he had gotten the changer though.

JVC made some good sounding CD players. I have one (XL-V151).

Back
Top Bottom