Ranking Yamaha Amps and Preamps...

SX-950SX-980

Hi i have enjoyed Pioneer for years and now exploring Yamaha amps and preamps and having difficulty figuring out what is TOTL and whats a budget unit.:scratch2::scratch2:

I like the looks of a C-4 PREAMPS but hte C-2X seems to get more praise.

Can anyone catergorise these units from from average to the best. I know there is a C-2, C-4, C-60, C-65, C80 and many more but i have no idea of knowing how they all rank? Price new could be an indicator

What about the AMPs. The B-1, B-2 are up there but what about the M-4 and M-2 anygood?

Its so hard to rank these?

Any good web pages for Yamaha out there? The vintage knob is gr8

http://www.thevintageknob.org/YAMAHA/YAMAHA-main.html

All the gear you mention has a good reputation. You won't go wrong with most of it.

I would stick with ones that have completely discrete circuit (and I do), no OP amps inside. Usually models made before 1980. From top - C2 , C4 (love them), C6. For me, nothing made after 1980 is on my list.

LIX

Pro amps: PC2002M, PC4002M, PC5002M.
Home amps: MX-2000, MX-10000

The "B" amps are good. The M-x0 and MX-1000 and lower amps are a cut below.

Thanks, but whats the TOTL?

In my opinion, it is sometimes difficult to compare TOTL (Top Of The Line) models from different eras as designs change due to technological advances (good and bad). The 10k series are arguably TOTL for all eras, but tech advances can make older and/or newer models attractive for different reasons. The B-2X and 101M amps for example are exceptional, and I am sure that depending upon your speakers and music, either the B-2X, 101M, or MX-10000 could be consider TOTL for all eras. And, this does not even broach the subject of Yamaha's Pro gear.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom