Ok I am going to get a Fisher, the question plug and play or one that needs work?

As far as speakers go With tube units, the more efficient, the better. Usually >92db/1W/1m is recommended for most tube amps. when Solid State came in and higher power amps became the norm, efficiency more often than not went down to the mid high 80's to about 92.

the Sansui's you have should have an efficiency of close to 96-98 db. That's good for your tube amp. My newest pair of speakers are a pair of SP-2500's with a rating of 96
db. My SP-200's are rated for 98+db. Everything else is generally in the low 90's.

So you should be ok, as long as the db efficiency is above 92db. Pick your highest efficiency speakers to start with and do a test listen.

Larry

Hi, thanks Larry, those are it, I don't think anything else I have would be efficient enough. Most all my speakers are older Infinity's from the QLS-1's, Kappa 9's, which dip below 2 ohms, RS-1b's which need four channels as the bass towers use a Infinity servo bass active crossover, even my smallest Infinity a pair of QLS-5's are not very effecient, they have a Dual Voice Coil bass driver 4 ohm and 2 ohm.
But thats ok, as I think that Sansui speaker I pictured seems pretty efficient, compared to the small QLS-5's I only have to turn the volume knob about half as far to get an equal level of sound. Unfortunatly I have been unable to find any specs on the Sansui, I have begged everywhere for a schemetic and no one seems to have one. Like I said, I don't really care about shaking down the house, I just want something that will have a nice sweet midrange with a little bit on the bottom and top. That Sansui is rated at 6 ohms, would I use the 4 ohm or 8 ohm tap?

You could use either. Me personally I'd use the 8ohm tap. I have this phobia about 4oHm speakers, and or using the 4oHm taps.

Back
Top Bottom