Fisher 610 Consolette with Companion Speaker

Spaceman - I did recap the 610 and the 30-A companion amp. It made a huge difference in sound - now - they both sound really amazing.

TheRed1 - thanks - I somehow missed the MPX connections.

Keeping the thread alive (in case anyone else works on these consoles) ... I changed the power indicater lamp today (which is a 6.3 Volt 150 ma bayonet style - available at Radio Shack) - the lamp base clip pulls right out from under the cabinet for an easy bulb change. This is the small bulb on the bottom of the 610 Console.

Here is the interesting part - what I was sure to be a red light turns out to be green (check out the photos) - pretty cool - and a nice feature to know you have left your tubes on!

Also noticed that when cleaning up the Companion Speaker it has a really nice "The Fisher" Logo stencilled on the bottom.

This weekend I'm going to stain the tapered legs and put the final touches on the restore.

I'm pretty impressed with how good this system looks and sounds.

Attachments

• fisher 080.jpg
    fisher 080.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 28
  • fisher 081.jpg
    fisher 081.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 63
  • fisher 082.jpg
    fisher 082.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 42
Nice looking 610!These baby fishers are great.The AM is outstanding along with FM.I find myself listening to oldies on AM at night.I HAVE THE 1957 series 60 consolete,here is a photo of mine.
ry%3D400
[/IMG]
ry%3D400
ry%3D400

Elduce - nice Series 60 - looks cool in black! Was that an optional color from Fisher?

I see the Series 60 also had the green power indicater lamp.

It's interesting on the AM reception - the antenna is a large metal plate right under the turntable (when you remove the turntable you see the AM antenna lead soldered to it).

One other upgrade I had to do was replace the turntable power cord. The old one was frayed and the bulk of the cord laid under the turntable on top of the AM antenna plate (it's about a 10 foot cord that needs to go two feet). Well every time I touched the metal turntable I got a small zap - new cord and problem solved.

Analog Addict - I'm not sure what you mean by Safety Cap? - So the answer is probably no!

I have a spool of 18 gauge cable and basically replaced the existing cable (exactly how it was connected) and added a new plug (non-polarized from ACE - so I could still plug into the 610 Chassis).

Should I be concerned?

Sorry, I lost track of this thread. Do a search on "death cap" in the tube forum. I will help avoid a potentially nasty surprise possible with a non-polarized 2 prong plug.

Also, my 610/560 came with a MPX-70 box. You might want to look for one of those. Might be cheaper than a MPX-100...:thmbsp:

EDIT: this one sold for about $100 including shipping. Of course the three Tele ECC83's it had in it might have had something to do with the price....:yes:

!B7hd5DQBmk~$(KGrHqYOKkQEzJf5S,i,BM0bs5TB8Q~~_3.JPG

Last edited:
Analog - thanks - just curious where was your MPX installed on the 610?

Also thanks on the heads up on "death cap".

Analog - thanks - just curious where was your MPX installed on the 610?

Also thanks on the heads up on "death cap".

No worries. Just remember to keep one hand behind your back....:D

I just picked up a new bit of kit by Avery.

I'm gonna try and do a good thread on whatever work I can get done to it...:scratch2:

IIRC the MPX unit was rolling around loose in the back of the 610. I'll have to look carefully at it at and see if I can locate a fixation point, ahem....at some point in time.

Red: That must be a '60 version. the 610-st chassis I have doesn't have anything like the mpx in, FM out , mpx out. Serial is 11535B. So mine is probably a very early '59.

Larry

SelectorSwitchcopy.jpg

In the late 50s Fisher prepared you for every conceivable form of stereophonic broadcasting the 1960s might throw your way. With the selector switch set to "Radio" (note the clever use of the little triangle symbol to denote stereophonic sources) you could connect an external AM tuner to the "B" tuner jack and listen to FM-AM stereocasts. Or you could uses a second FM tuner connected to the same jack for the much better sounding but much harder to find FM-FM stereocasts.

610-STChassisRear.jpg

For those willing to try to predict the FCC's anticipated ruling on multiplex broadcasting, Fisher also included a set of MPX jacks on the "top" of the chassis. (They're actually on the side when installed in a console.) With Fisher's recommended optional MPX-10 connected you'd be all set to receive the experimental Crosby stereo transmissions from WBAL, NYC; KDKA, Pittsburgh, PA or WJER, Wilmington, DE. Or, if you weren't quite so adventurous and were willing to wait until after April 1961, you could buy an FCC approved GE/Zenith system MPX adapter.

MPXBracket.jpg

The nice thing about the 610-ST is that if you bought one of the nicer MPX adapters equipped with feed through connections, you could run a cable from the FM OUTPUT on the 610 to the Channel "B" Aux input on your MPX adapter and still leave your external AM or FM tuner hooked up to the "B" tuner input. That way you just had to set the selector switch to the "triangle" Radio position for either FM-AM stereocasts or multiplex stereo broadcasts and didn't have to redo all your console cabling. Pretty nifty back then but not terribly useful these days.

Back
Top Bottom