Fisher 35A turntable

mevans

I just acquired The Fisher 35A auto turntable and i cant find any info online about it. Does anyone have any experience servicing one of these? It operates well for the most part...it just takes a while to get up to speed when playing on 33. Would this be a belt issue, or maybe just needs oil? I dont want to just start taking it apart...any info is appreciated!

When looking for info try SANYO/FISHER or FISHER/SANYO. This is probably a belt issue. Lift off the platter pad and see how much tension is on the belt. If it's loose, you need a new one. A cleaning of the motor spindle and platter sides would help too.

Larry

So after removing the platter, i was surprised to find no belt. There is a little motor that turns a small wheel that turns the platter...is this called indirect drive?

after more research, i beleive i have an Idler drive system...i cleaned an lubed everything, but it still takes a while for the platter to reach the correct speed...after sitting for a day or two, it usually takes about 5-10 minutes until the platter is spinning at the correct speed. Any ideas why it might take this long to "warm up"?

Get some Denatured alcohol or 91% Isopropyl alcohol.

WEAR LATEX or EQUIVALENTGLOVES!! you don't want body oils to get on the inside of the platter or the idler wheel.

On the platter there may be a circlip (C-clip) holding it down. Remove and lift the platter straight UP.

Clean the inner surface of the platter top to bottom. Set aside.
Look at the idler wheel and check for cracking, grazing, hardness, etc. The rubber wheel should be nice and supple with no glazing on the edge, no hardness on the edge, no cracks, etc.
Can you post a pocture of this Turntable.? It would help immensely .

While you have the platter off, take a paint brush and dust the whole thing. Then lubricate the spindle bearing with some light machine oil *sewing Machine oil. Do the motor bearings also.

thanks for all the tips...here are a couple pics...the idler wheel seems to be in really good shape....just cleaned the inside of the platter and the wheel, they seemed clean but was able to get some crud out. Lubed everything up with a little singer oil and the speed issue seems fixed for now. Will have to let her cool off a bit and try tomorrow to know for sure!

Attachments

• IMAG0090.jpg
    IMAG0090.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 77
  • IMAG0092.jpg
    IMAG0092.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 48
The 35A was one of the "all in one" unit's that FISHER came out with in the late 60's thru the early 70's. The Turntable is a BSR, B-I-O-N. The bog metal gear/cam should come off, and the platter bearings need to be cleaned and lubed. Also check the pin/roller that engages the bottom of the cam. Make sure it rotates freely. Keep any grease and oil away from the wheel and platter rim.

It'll build up some heat on the turntable from natural convection.
I doubt if you'll be able to find a manual of any kind for it. But don't let that stop you.

Larry

Thanks for all of the info...im surprised at how clean everything is under the platter actually. I found this locally on craigslist for what i consider to be a steal of a deal, including the original speakers. It sounds great and its been fun learning more about it. I did find 1 manual on ebay...but it costs just as much as I paid for the unit, so I think i'll pass for now. Will be heading home soon to try out my new(used) Clapton album...hoping the speed issues are all fixed.

Sorry for all the newbie questions here, but i've just been trying to figure out what these 3 dials actually do. They are near the base of the tonearm by the counterweight.
1. Im guessing the small shiny dial is the antiskate?
2. The largest dial is marked 0-6...its currently set at 2
3. This dial in the second picture turns smoothly and is marked 2, 4, 6

Any ideas what these actually are and recommended settings?

thanks again

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 23
1.) if your referring to the one on the platform, yes that is the A.S.

2.) This is your Veritical tracking force. Depending on what cartridge/needle is on it, 1/2g to 6 grams.

3.) A.S. settings are roughly correlated to the VTF.

Figure out what cartridge/ stylus(needle) is on the tonearm.

3-5grams with the conical stylus. Put a D71EE on it (direct fit for the V15 (NP/AC types)) and crank it down to almost 2 grams. between 1.75 and 2gr is good for that stylus with that cart.

DO NOT USE THE D71EE with 78's.

I get mine at KABUSA.COM for my Pickerings.

Larry

The 35A was one of the "all in one" unit's that FISHER came out with in the late 60's thru the early 70's. The Turntable is a BSR, B-I-O-N.

Hi there, I have a Fisher 35a that was my grandfathers. It's in great working order, but it doesn't have a 45 adapter. You seem to be familiar with these BSR turntables, I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction for a new adapter. Thanks :)

Thanks a bunch! I have seen ones like that and different models similar, but then also ones that almost look like rectangular cartridges... Will they all work interchangeably, or do I have to get a specific one?

Sorry, I cannot answer that question. Google some BSR turntables and see if you can find one that illustrates the 45rpm adapter?

Back
Top Bottom