Anyone Ever Heard Dissanayake Amps/Preamps?

nelsress

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Back in October I had a Sansui 1000 (not the "A" model) receiver for sale here for a while, you may or may not recall. Anyway, it didn't garner any interest here on AK so after a month or so, I listed it on eBay, where it was purchased by a gentleman in Italy who really only wanted the power and output transformers. So I removed them from the unit, packed them up well and shipped them off to Italy. The buyer gave me excellent feedback and thanked me several times.

Today, I received a small package in the mail from Italy and when I opened it, found a cd with jpg's of the amplifiers and preamplifiers that this man designs. They're quite beautiful and look very professionally done so I was wondering if anyone, particularly our European members, has seen or had a chance to listen to any of the Dissanayake line? There was a note thanking me for covering some of the postage (it ran over my calculated estimate so I just covered it, it was less than $10) indicating that he was an hi-fi designer and that the disc contained some of his designs. When I opened up the jewel case, there was 10 Euros, now I've got to get back to Italy and Spain!!!

Very nice guy, very nice looking gear and just an unusually nice un-prompted gesture.

Attachments

• 103-0395_IMG.jpg
    103-0395_IMG.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 265
  • 104-0428_IMG.jpg
    104-0428_IMG.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 104-0423_IMG.jpg
    104-0423_IMG.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 99
  • 104-0433_IMG.jpg
    104-0433_IMG.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 104-0441_IMG.jpg
    104-0441_IMG.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 98
Here's a few more of Sarath's designs. They look great, don't they?

Attachments

• 105-0501_IMG.jpg
    105-0501_IMG.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 104-0492_IMG.jpg
    104-0492_IMG.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 104-0449_IMG.jpg
    104-0449_IMG.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 104-0448_IMG.jpg
    104-0448_IMG.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 104-0445_IMG.jpg
    104-0445_IMG.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 54
  • ultima belva.jpg
    ultima belva.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 49
The tube unit in the first picture of the first post looks really cool. That certainly would be a conversation starter!

I know, I didn't know that transmitter tubes could be used in hi-fi! I forgot to mention that these were also hand made by the designer himself. Nice job!

I usually do not yell nor, want anything based on looks alone but - I WANT THAT 1ST AMP PICTURED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This guy is a true artist and designer/engineer. If the units sound anywhere as good as they look, he has it all.

Agreed- that first one is far out! Looks like something from a chemistry lab.
Also loving the gold one in the 2nd post, 2nd one from last.

Yeah! I'm from Europe and I have had the chance to listen to some of his designs and then meet this guy personally.
I have to say that what you see in the pictures is only a 2% of what this man has produced in many years of passion for audio and listening. As for me, the preamps and power amps that Dissanayake manufactures sound better than what they look! In few words: an astonishing resolution is coupled with detailed 3D rendering of the soundstage! Full bodied sound and surprisingly, as for noise, this gear is dead silent: this reveals an accurate knowledge of the matter and no improvisation in electronic layout!:thmbsp::thmbsp:
You don't believe me? Just look here for some more:http://www.dissanayake.webnode.it

PS: as reported in the link, the first picture in the first post is not an amp but...a preamp, without the power supply!!!! Just look the photogallery!

Best regards to all!

Yeah! I'm from Europe and I have had the chance to listen to some of his designs and then meet this guy personally.
I have to say that what you see in the pictures is only a 2% of what this man has produced in many years of passion for audio and listening. As for me, the preamps and power amps that Dissanayake manufactures sound better than what they look! In few words: an astonishing resolution is coupled with detailed 3D rendering of the soundstage! Full bodied sound and surprisingly, as for noise, this gear is dead silent: this reveals an accurate knowledge of the matter and no improvisation in electronic layout!:thmbsp::thmbsp:
You don't believe me? Just look here for some more:http://www.dissanayake.webnode.it

PS: as reported in the link, the first picture in the first post is not an amp but...a preamp, without the power supply!!!! Just look the photogallery!

Best regards to all!

Exactly which amp and pre amp did you like the most?

His products are so refreshing looking and inspire one to take notice. In this day and age of $50 throw away electronics it`s nice to see a company that takes pride in what they offer.

attachment.php

noice

Exactly which amp and pre amp did you like the most?

His products are so refreshing looking and inspire one to take notice. In this day and age of $50 throw away electronics it`s nice to see a company that takes pride in what they offer.

I listened during three days to Custom line preamplifier, (you can see it on the web site it's the 10th pic from the end) it's a two boxes design with a slim line front. This preamp has been produced in 2013, there are 4xe80cc + 2x6350 inside with a low bias architecture: it's simply awesome! Far superior to many commercial brands I don't want to mention here!

Maybe I'm in an "altered state" for this brand, but I have to say that you can't obtain so much more in your house for private listening, or at least, not so much satisfaction.
Well, consider also that this is not really cheap gear, but you can't compress costs when you want to produce that kind of metal work, design, engravings, etc. and, in a word, quality.
I think that who wants to invest money in this hobby has to choose carefully where to spend, to avoid wasting!

@cubdog: Thank you & AK for admitting me here!

Daneel

I listened during three days to Custom line preamplifier, (you can see it on the web site it's the 10th pic from the end) it's a two boxes design with a slim line front. This preamp has been produced in 2013, there are 4xe80cc + 2x6350 inside with a low bias architecture: it's simply awesome! Far superior to many commercial brands I don't want to mention here!

Maybe I'm in an "altered state" for this brand, but I have to say that you can't obtain so much more in your house for private listening, or at least, not so much satisfaction.
Well, consider also that this is not really cheap gear, but you can't compress costs when you want to produce that kind of metal work, design, engravings, etc. and, in a word, quality.
I think that who wants to invest money in this hobby has to choose carefully where to spend, to avoid wasting!

@cubdog: Thank you & AK for admitting me here!

Daneel

Daneel, thanks for the information. I agree with you about wasting money, during the last decade i have been all over the place with this hobby and a few years back i was even into the DIY amps and pre amps that you see on ebay and Amazon for $20-50 and at one point i had about 20 of those things, i thought that they sounded good until a friend of mine said what are you doing and invited me to his house for a listen to some high end gear. It was an intervention and a revelation at the same time, while the $20-50 stuff sounded good to ok it was no where near high end, it was more on the level of what they sell at Best Buy, Fry`s or Radio shack, simply i got caught up in the hype.

A well thought out quality product is worth the money and in the long run can save you money. But this is only true if one has the ability to hear the difference, many can not.

@RH67: I absolutely agree with all what you say. Me too I passed many moments in this hobby, during which I refused to invest so much money in it, considering immoral in many ways, nevertheless real quality, as you recognize, exists and deserves to be listened.

I also listened two times to actual top serie in line preamplification by D., coupled with a power amp with just 15W of power, both in two red chassis: results were superior to Custom serie, the perceived quality was huge and the difference from mass market production was, in one word vast! If you can, hear by yourself.
Mid '90 projects like the first pic of the first post are more like hifi jewels, a trend that Dissanayake seems to have abandoned.
Best regards.

Hi Daneel, thanks for adding to this thread, it's great to hear from someone with first hand knowlege of these beautiful amps and preamps.

Hi nelsress, thank you for having opened this thread, giving me the chance to participate!
If I will listen again to other Dissanayake's creations I will let you know here.

Hi all. I am currently using a 30 years old Dissanayake Resurrection preamp (waiting for him to create a custom one for me). It is simply astonishing. I was prevously using a Vinnie Rossi Lio (that I loved) mostly as preamp, with two 300B mono power amps. Speakers are Vrel Bequadro2 open baffle. With the Dissanayake in, the bass became incredibly bigger and the detail improved dramatically. I never had such a huge impression from a preamp and I finally understand why many people say the preamp is the real heart of a hifi system. My 5 cents...

Back
Top Bottom