would this work as a all around PSU

Depends on how big you plan to go with the amps.

If the amp needs only a single rail voltage looks like you could do up to 30V @ 6A or 60V @ 3A.

If the amp needs two rail voltages (+ and - legs) then you're +/-30V @ 3A.

If that's enough it should work, assuming it's not too noisy.

And, always keep in mind even though these switching chip amps are very efficient, you still need more power in than out.

IOW, if you're supposed to get "X" watts out then you need a supply that can provide > "X" watts in.

It might be better to just pick one amp out of the bunch and build around it.I never thought finding a power supply would be so hard.I am sure I am not the first to want one with those options.

I would imagine that power supply is pretty much overkill. I have a tpa 3116 2.1 board like the second to last link... I think. I'm using a 19.5v 4.5amp laptop power supply, and it's plenty for it. The second amp's power input is AC and not DC. A lot of sellers also sell compatible power supplies, and I've been looking at some that include one.

I would imagine that power supply is pretty much overkill. I have a tpa 3116 2.1 board like the second to last link... I think. I'm using a 19.5v 4.5amp laptop power supply, and it's plenty for it. The second amp's power input is AC and not DC. A lot of sellers also sell compatible power supplies, and I've been looking at some that include one.

Yea I am currently using tpa 3116 board also, I already have a dedicated PS for it.I want to try some other amps out too and just trying to find the best and cost effective way to go about a PSU that might handle all of the voltage range.I dont want to start collecting PS's I already have a zillion wall warts.

I know what you're saying. I've got a box of odds and end power supplies. I guess my first thought was 'Damn, that's a lot of money!' and my second thought was 'where the heck would I put it?'

I'm sure it would work fine, and it's cool that it goes up to 60v. I was checking out some AC/DC power supplies, which would be good for the AC amp boards, but the ones I saw only went up to around 15vdc.

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

it is the 3116 that got me into this mess,now I want to try all the other flavors,BTW the 3116 is awesome but I would get the bare bones next time and do my own pre-amp the subwoofer section is a let down not enuff control just a gain knob no freq pot.but in stereo mode it kicks ass I put my ADS L710's on it so I really dont need a sub anyway.

I think I will just do one amp at a time and get the correct PS If I like If I dont I will put up on Auction.Know I see what some mean ,these little amps are addicting.

I know what you're saying. I've got a box of odds and end power supplies. I guess my first thought was 'Damn, that's a lot of money!' and my second thought was 'where the heck would I put it?'

I'm sure it would work fine, and it's cool that it goes up to 60v. I was checking out some AC/DC power supplies, which would be good for the AC amp boards, but the ones I saw only went up to around 15vdc.

Sent from my SCH-R970C using Tapatalk

I will probally still get it the prices varie I figure one right around 100 would be good,and for the dedicated builds I will get an assembled PS board with correct voltage and amps.

Another good thing for the variable PS is I can find the sweet spot for the amp and then get the right PS board.

Back
Top Bottom