My Next System Upgrade Path

Lee Harvey

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Its Spring again and Tax season is over so its time to upgrade the stereo system. Last summer I purchased a Clearaudio Concept table with a V2 Performer cartridge and Nano phono amp. I have been really happy with this setup so but I knew that there is room for improvements. I really want to take things to the next level of performance on the Analog side. For the past 6 to 8 months I have hardly listened to digital tracks from my Bifrost. The turntable has been taking priority as I am liking the analog sound of vinyl much better. There is just a better sense of open-ness and life to the music on vinyl to me.

So about 2 weeks ago I called my dealer that I purchased the Clearaudio and Exposure gear from and started discussing upgrades for the phono path. I don't want to do any lateral or small changes to my system. I want to make a big leap in performance. I spoke to Slippers about this one that I will not be throwing away money on FOTM products anymore. They just eat cash that could be used on better products. I will be looking at upgrading the cartridge, phono preamp and possibly new interconnect cables in the coming weeks.

A week ago Friday I took my table over to my dealer and had him install a Clearaudio Virtuoso cartridge which is two steps up the MM line. It has 20+ hours on it now and Wow! I can't believe how much more information it pulling out of the record grooves. There is much improved channel separation and imaging. Players are more defined and focused. More fullness and separation of instruments. Detail out the WaZoo. I am hearing backing vocals on 35+ old albums that I have never heard before and other things like missing instruments and more room accoustics. The soundstage has expanded from front to back allowing the performer to sound more in their soundspace instead being more forward. And the cartridge is not fully broke in yet. So I think I am happy with this cartridge. The next thing is to look for a better phono preamp. I will auditioning three units. First up is the Primare R32 and it will be followed by the Clearaudio Basic Plus and a Rogue Aris. I have the Primare hooked up now and I will be trying for a couple of days to see what more information it can wring out the Virtuoso than what my present Nano can do. Which it is a pretty impressive unit on its own.

Here are a couple shots of the Primare R32. It's a Beast!:

IMG_1792_zpsba004fed.jpg

IMG_1793_zpsdeda2c2d.jpg

So far the Primare is performing well but I am not sure how much of an improvement it is over the Nano at this time. Hopefully a couple of days of being powered on will get it to open up a bit more? I think the one I will try out after the Primare will be the Basic Plus followed by the Rogue Aris which is twice the price of the Basic Plus. The Primare is in them middle pricewise at $1500. After I pick a phono amp I will looking at interconnects. I currently have my eye on trying the Kimber Kabel Silver Steak which uses both silver and copper wire in its construction to see what improvements it can make to my system.

Analog is the king...
I'm interested in seeing how you fare with upgrading the Nano.

Have you considered the LOMC path?

Analog is the king...
I'm interested in seeing how you fare with upgrading the Nano.

Have you considered the LOMC path?

I have already invested in a $900 Virtuoso moving magnet for now. I might look at moving coils one of these days.

These showed up from the UPS man this afternoon. The Eagles Studio Albums 1972 to 1980, Paul McCartney's Wings over America and the Kings of Leon Early Years box set. All came from BestBuy.com at half or less price with free shipping! The shipping box must have weighed 25+ pounds. I really have taken to vinyl over the past year. Listening to Hotel California right now and OMG! I have never heard this album this detailed before.

IMG_1795_zps33a51d19.jpg

Analog is truly an addiction I'm glad I have. Congrats on your new cart and good luck on the journey to find your next phono stage.

Wow! That Primare really gives you your monies worth in looks alone! Its a very nice looking, huge phono amp! I'd be interested in your thoughts about that one....and the price looks good as well! I've enough space for it as I've taken all my gear off the racks and placed them all on maple block which all sit on the floor. The sound stage and refinement is unbelievable....and I've added Triode Wire Labs speaker cables, and I have more Analysis Plus Crystal Copper coming as well. So you may want to put them both on your list of cables and speaker wire for consideration. Triode Wire Labs has no silver only copper. I've also heard that same Cart on a Clearaudio Performance DC and it was a very nice cart...so you have a good one.

Kindly keep me posted!

Also, thanks for tip about Best Buy online...never thought about ordering from there.

Last edited:
Wow! That Primare really gives you your monies worth in looks alone! Its a very nice looking, huge phono amp! I'd be interested in your thoughts about that one....and the price looks good as well! I've enough space for it as I've taken all my gear off the racks and placed them all on maple block which all sit on the floor. The sound stage and refinement is unbelievable....and I've added Triode Wire Labs speaker cables, and I have more Analysis Plus Crystal Copper coming as well. So you may want to put them both on your list of cables and speaker wire for consideration. Triode Wire Labs has no silver only copper. I've also heard that same Cart on a Clearaudio Performance DC and it was a very nice cart...so you have a good one.

Kindly keep me posted!

Also, thanks for tip about Best Buy online...never thought about ordering from there.

Slippers, here is the link to the Best Buy vinyl sale thread over in the Turntable forum which has the link to Best Buy's sale site. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=583428

I will be listening to the Primare some more today before I return it to my dealer this afternoon and trade for the Rogue Aris phono amp to try out. I will post a picture of the Aris after I get it hooked up. Also he is going to let try out the Kimber Kabel Silver Streak interconnects. Audio Advisor has a couple of the Analysis Plus interconnect cables that I could order to try out since they have a 30 day return policy.

So far I think the Primare is a touch darker sounding than the Clearaudio Nano but has a more defined bass output. Things like imaging, depth are about the same between the two amps but the Primare might be a little more focused sounding. Still a very fine sounding phono amp. I just want to try a few amps that are out there before I decide on a purchase.

The Performance DC with the Clarify arm might be an option to upgrade to next year? It's like a Concept on steroids.

One of the reasons I am upgrading now is that I bought my Wife off a couple of weeks ago with a trip to Jared's so its my turn to get something new and shiny. :yes:

I have taken the Primare back to my dealer and have exchanged for the Rogue Aris to try out. I found the Primare a bit too dark sounding for my tastes. It was very quiet, tight bass response, a good focused soundstage but it lacked air and sparkle. Here are some shots of the Rogue:

IMG_1797_zpsa2646d40.jpg

IMG_1796_zps0857181f.jpg

IMG_1798_zpsebfd5407.jpg

If this sticks around I will have to do some re-arranging due to it's separate power supply. Also I have set of Kimber Silver Streaks to try out too.

Last edited:
I was never impressed with Clearaudio until I heard the Virtuoso. I am really interested to hear your take on the Rogue.

Well the Ares has been sent back. It was a real disappointment. It was too laid back and veiled sounding. It lacked dynamics, detail and had a vague, fuzzy sounding soundstage. So now we have the Clearaudio Basic Plus hooked up. Much better sounding than the previous two amps even being cold out of the box. The other amps I let warm up overnight before I started listening to them. Cold out of the box the Basic Plus sounds a lot like the Nano but a little smoother overall. I will have to let burn in over the weekend to see if it starts to open up some more.

Here are a couple shots of the Basic with its power supply. Not so big and impressive looking as the other two amps but sound is what really counts:

IMG_1805_zpsd965227c.jpg

IMG_1801_zps59cdf6fd.jpg

Those Clearaudio phono amps are pretty darn good. You should consider a Heed Quasar (or Questar if you need MM only). Never thought much of the Rogue stuff.

I have gone ahead and purchased the Basic Plus. It turned to be the most detailed and dynamic sounding of all the amps I tried out. And as a bonus it is the most affordable of the bunch. Now I am testing out interconnects to run between the Basic and the Exposure. So far the all copper Kimber Kabel Hero has proved be the most open sounding cable that I have tried. It actually sounds more lively than the much more expensive Silver Streaks for some reason?

I have gone ahead and purchased the Basic Plus. It turned to be the most detailed and dynamic sounding of all the amps I tried out. And as a bonus it is the most affordable of the bunch. Now I am testing out interconnects to run between the Basic and the Exposure.

How much of an improvement is it over the Nano?

Congrats! I really like the Kimber Hero. Probably my favorite Kimber Kable (cable).

Thanks Art! I am impressed with the Hero so far. I am going to keep using it over the weekend to see if it changes anymore.

How much of an improvement is it over the Nano?

The Basic has much of the same sound character of the Nano but is more refined. It has more depth, more midrange and high end detail and definition. Also a bit more bass definition but not quite as full so far. I think the improved midrange and high end kinda shifted the overall balance away from the low end. It's the reason I wanted to try a different interconnect between the phono and Exposure to get a stronger low end response. I still think the Nano is a great sounding phono amp.

I also got a set of Van Den Hul model 102 Mark III set of interconnects to try out and they added some fullness but also softened the overall presentation. I think that set of cables would work better with a system that might be a bit edgy or has some harshness.

The systems over resolution has taken a big step forward with the addition of a new cartridge, phono amp and the current Kimber Hero cable. I was listening to the Beatles White album this afternoon and the information that was getting pulled out of those grooves was just scary sounding. Crazy amounts of spacial clues, ambience, sense of presence and other low level noises that happened while those songs were being recorded.

Back
Top Bottom