Turntable will not play last 30 seconds of album

Johnnytherev

Hi fellas I am new, first time posting. I have a Garrard SL 72B that I just got and cleaned up. I put a new cartridge in it because the old one was damaged in shipping (shure M97xE) sounds great but for some reason it starts skipping @ the last 30 seconds or so. Suggestions? Track force is set @ 1.25 as recommend

thanks

-JP

Hi fellas I am new, first time posting. I have a Garrard SL 72B that I just got and cleaned up. I put a new cartridge in it because the old one was damaged in shipping (shure M97xE) sounds great but for some reason it starts skipping @ the last 30 seconds or so. Suggestions? Track force is set @ 1.25 as recommend

thanks

-JP

"Cleaned up"? - how?
Considering this changer is circa 1971-ish, don't you agree that it's well overdue for a complete and proper overhaul of the mechanism by now?
Corrosion, ancient grease, and dried-up oil are the usual culprits.
You certainly wouldn't expect a 1971 Chevy impala to travel down the highway very far with just a wash 'n wax, with 40 year old lubricants under the hood.

If you're using it with the brush down you have to add weight to the tracking force. I also think 1.25 is too light. Don't be scared, 1.5-1.75 is not going to do damage. Start there-some of the old Garrards really don't need much cleaning up to work well.

This is a fully Automatic turntable yes? so you don't need to place stylus on record manually you just press a button......does the turntable lead in where it should ( at beginning of first track )when used in Auto?

Which is too light for that arm. 2-2.5 grams is as light as that tonearm will work reliably under optimum conditions (i.e. no rock solid Garrard Hog Grease) and all components adjusted, aligned, and properly serviced.

Check the end of record trip pawl (small, stamped metal part which pivots on a pin on the large, round toothed gear--part 194 on page 3 of the service manual) and the linkage parts which move it as the arm approaches the end of the record. It is probably gummed up with old, dried up grease and impeding the arm's motion as it gets close to the the end of the record. Remove it and clean it off with isopropyl alcohol. Do not lube it. It works best when clean and dry.
The service manual is available at vinylengine.com for free download.
Also, check your tonearm wires underneath the turntable. They may be binding the arm.
Rick

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom