ST-510 to ST-610 TRANSPLANT SURGERY.

larryderouin

I'm VERTICAL and Breathing...most of the time.
Subscriber
Successful. Patient is working fine, so far. Tuner is still settling in, 3 hours after spraying with CRC QD Non Residue Electronics cleaner. AM is still scratchy in lower 1/2 of the range (I'm pretty sure I know why too).

The only grafting to be had was the wiring of the FONOLITE. On the 510 the fonolite is connected right at the amp, along with the pilot. On the 610, it's paralleled after the pilot. (More solder!) Other than that it's a plug and play proposition, as we thought it might be. Even the mounts, holes, etc. lined up.
attachment.php

For anyone with a ST-510 (phono only) who wants to put some AM/FM in one, get a head unit from a "NO LONGER FIT FOR CONSUMPTION" ST-610cabinet. Make sure it's a ST-610. This has a AM/FM tuner, phono inputs, and an Aux in stereo. Plus an input for "B" channel tuner. (Simulcast from another station? which outputs on "RADIO"

Your Selections:

1. AM outputs both Channels in MONO
2. FM outputs both Channels in MONO
3. RADIO outputs from Tuner thru "A" Channel, "B" channel input to "B" OUTPUT. So you need a separate tuner for stereo.
4. PHONO MONO
5. PHONO STEREO
6. AUX STEREO

It's a direct part for part exchange. The only thing you'll have left over from the original swap is the fonolite wires wihich will be tied in to the supply at the pilot light.

Larry

Attachments

• 100_3159.jpg
    100_3159.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 79
That is very cool - nice work!

I haven't looked at my ST-610 (it's stored in the garage) but I believe there is an interface for an MPX adapter on the chassis - if you want FM stereo.

No MPX interface or output. Just a "B" channel input for tuner. When you put the selector to "RADIO" it's strictly "A" channel only unless another tuner is connected to the "B" Input.

Larry

I saw that. But this one HAS NOTHING!!! With a Serial of 11535B I've probably got a 1st month or so of the 1st year in production. No original tubes in it. I checked for split caps last night before bringing it up on the variac. I't been going for 23 hours now without stop, and it sounds very good. Granted I'm still gonna do a recap on the 610 chassis, and add mpx in,mpx out, FM out jacks while im in there. The 10001-19999 service manual doesn't have anything on mpx connections in the manual. So have to see if anyone has a newer version.

I've got the 10001-19999 version (NO MPX Connections)
Fisherconsoles.com has the same version.
Nothing in the AK Database.

I'll find one somewhere. Maybe visman has a copy!

I wish I had whatever console my fisher 800c was taken from..... Shame the way some people trash consoles just to get to the amps ( I know sometimes you need to if the wood is bad )

Not all came from a console. Matter of fact about 3-5% of the total were in Consoles.

Larry,

I guess I can break open that other spare 610 I have here and see what it has. I am not totally certain what is inside my Consolette as well.

Frannie

Don,

Does the one you sent to Carter match up to the 610 you sent me. ??

Because that (610 Chassis I Traded For With You) is what Larry is using.

Frannie

I've sent Carter and VISMAN pm's asking if they have manuals with the mpx ports on them. I can reverse engineer the jacks if I have the schematic.

Larry

No, I actually have run across two. What I sent Carter was from the first one. I sent you the second one.
I've only seen three Fisher console systems in my life.
Two were consolettes, one with a companion, and a hybrid that'd been left out in the rain.

I just replied to Larry's PM before reading the recent posts of this thread. (My PM would have been somewhat shorter if I had read through this thread first, Larry.) I don't recall having seen a service manual for the 1960 Series 610 but Fisher also used the 610-ST chassis in the 1960 Custom Electra III. Jon has that SM available on the fisherconsoles.com website. It is for serial numbers 20,000-29,999 and does indeed show the wiring for the MPX jacks.

I would be curious to see a SM for the 1960 Series 610 to see if the serial number range is the same as for the CE III.

Yes and No. Yes in that it'll eventually need a MPX Adapter, and no not that particular model or style. The one is one of about 4-5 different model built in models that Fisher used from 1962-3 to 1965 in some tubed units. Others used Jacks and Universal or self powered stand-alone units. The 1960 would have probably used one of two different model adapters depending on which multiplex procedure was being used. Crosby and I think it was GE was the other. Ge won the contracts and the Crosby Multiplex system fell by the wayside.

But Avery Fisher covered all the bases. His equipment was manufactured to accept both systems and run off them from day 1, unlike some others who needed tweaks to work with the GE System.

I have a stand-alone Sherwood mpx adaptor so all I need to know is where to connect to on the '59 head unit. But the schematic doesn't show for the '59. The '60 does, so I'll use a '60 and do the mod. Look for it at your nearest theater in the NEWSREEL FROM AROUND THE WORLD!

Larry

I don't recall having seen a service manual for the 1960 Series 610 but Fisher also used the 610-ST chassis in the 1960 Custom Electra III. Jon has that SM available on the fisherconsoles.com website. It is for serial numbers 20,000-29,999 and does indeed show the wiring for the MPX jacks.

Hi, I know this is an old thread, but I just acquired a chassis 610-ST (serial # 24500 E), and it has no MPX jacks. I took a quick look at the SM referenced above, and I don't see anything corresponding to the statement that it "does indeed show the wiring for the MPX jacks." Am I missing something?

I also happen to have the R30-S chassis and a functioning 30-A monoblock with the 4-8-16 ohm taps; the R30-S of course does not have MPX jacks either. I'm interested in the feasibility of adding MPX jacks to either the 610-ST or the R30-S for true FM stereo listening. Can anyone help?

Many thanks!

Pete

Actually, after looking a little more carefully at the 610-ST and its schematic, I do see the MPX jacks—they are not labeled as such on my chassis but are very clearly marked (J9, J10, and J11) on the schematic. My apologies!

Now if anyone has added jacks like these to the R30-S, I would still be interested, as I really like the looks of that chassis. Meanwhile, I'll take a look around for an MPX adapter to use with the 610-ST! Recommendations welcome...I see there's an MPX-200 on the Bay right now...the transformer looks quite rusty, though...is that a likely indicator of problems with the unit?

I have a WX I'm not using. Would that work in your 610-ST? I also have an MPX-100 we'll have to discuss off line.

Thanks for your kind offer! I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the MPX-200 on the Bay. I hope I didn't make a mistake! The price seemed rather reasonable as I have seen comments about this one being rarer than the MPX-100. I guess rust on the transformer housing is not necessarily a really bad indicator...

Back
Top Bottom