Ultra High End Modern vs. Vintage?

ElCid79

In an earlier thread I claimed that some of the modern turntables that I have heard, were better than vintage.

That statement was attacked pretty quickly, and I certainly can understand why. People are passionate about their opinions, and defend what they like. Which is totally cool.

But what vintage tables can actually compete with some of the 6 figure tables out there?

I have heard the Clearaudio Statement to be specific. Hooked up to a set of speakers that cost more than my house. Running through amps, that cost more than my house.

Based off of my knowledge of acoustic memory and my personal ability to pick up nuanced sound, I could NEVER justify anything remotely close to those costs. But that's not the topic of discussion here.

With that said, what vintage turntables could hold a candle to this ridiculous high end stuff. The Goldmund's Reference, The Clear Audio Statement, or other similarly priced "Luxury" models? The person in that post claimed that he had heard vintage tech that could "beat" the best modern?

Again this is subjective, but what vintage stuff is there that competes? I am simply curious, because I didn't realize anything like that existed, and B. I want to read up on it. Cheers.

GarrardPlinth.jpg

IMG_2143.JPG

Keep in mind that back in the day....the heyday of vinyl, there were crazy priced stuff as well. If your referring to vintage as in the common street stuff that was out there, well then no, it would be hard to find a common vintage table to beat a top of the line 15,000 table today....

Yeah, that's what I was asking specifically. What are the crazy stuff of yesteryear. That clear audio is 150,000 and the other one is 300k. What during Vinyl's heyday would have been the equivalent?

Yamaha GT-2000 with optional accessories

Attachments

• Yamaha GT-2000.jpg
    Yamaha GT-2000.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 231
Not sure how this one stacks up against some of the latest tables, but I suspect not too badly.

Attachments

• Thorens Reference.jpg
    Thorens Reference.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 375
VPI HW-19 Mk-IV or TNT with ET-2.5 arm is still highly regarded and quite affordable compared to the new competition. The new Phoenix Engineering Roadrunner/Falcon platter speed control system will take the VPI further at reasonable cost.

Last edited:
Don't know how these compare sonically to the ultra-expensive current tables, but some of the most technologically advanced vintage tables were the JVC/Victor TT-101, the Kenwood L-07D/107D, the Technics SP-10, the Pioneer Exclusive P3, the Sony PS-X9, the Luxman PD 444 & 555, the Nakamichi TX-1000 & Dragon CT, the Micro Seiki DQX & DDX series and the Yamaha GT 2000.

Dave

Last edited:
In an earlier thread I claimed that some of the modern turntables that I have heard, were better than vintage.

That statement was attacked pretty quickly, and I certainly can understand why. People are passionate about their opinions, and defend what they like. Which is totally cool.

But what vintage tables can actually compete with some of the 6 figure tables out there?

I have heard the Clearaudio Statement to be specific. Hooked up to a set of speakers that cost more than my house. Running through amps, that cost more than my house.

Based off of my knowledge of acoustic memory and my personal ability to pick up nuanced sound, I could NEVER justify anything remotely close to those costs. But that's not the topic of discussion here.

With that said, what vintage turntables could hold a candle to this ridiculous high end stuff. The Goldmund's Reference, The Clear Audio Statement, or other similarly priced "Luxury" models? The person in that post claimed that he had heard vintage tech that could "beat" the best modern?

Again this is subjective, but what vintage stuff is there that competes? I am simply curious, because I didn't realize anything like that existed, and B. I want to read up on it. Cheers.

I heard the Clear audio statement with mega-ultra buck system connected to it at CES'14. I remember feeling underwhelmed.

I don´t really think it´s even remotely possible to have any opinion which ones will 'sound' the best. There is just no possible way.

We might be able to pick out some that were/are rather highly thought of, but comparing them, not possible. It could just as well be so that the ones that were/are the 'best' actually isn´t thought of at all as candidates.

We are not listening to a TT per se, at least we also need an arm, a pickup and some sort of phonoamp, and even more amps and speakers or headphones. The TT is also sitting on something that is not inert. Picking out the TT in this is a difficult task and as subjective it can be.

Of course these are just my ramblings and there might be people that know which ones are the best, me I have no idea.

Last edited:
Were does vintage start?
Would you classify a Zaratustra s4 as vintage ?
How about a Transrotor tourbillon or a Pluto audio 10a ?

Garrard 301 and 401 , Thorens 124 , prestige , concrete and reference .
The Linn lp12 , Roksan xerxes , Oracle , Kuzma .

I don't know that many far eastern topdecks but they are out there .

Some of the above I have heard ,played with and know they can sound good.
Will they beat a new "highest end" deck I don't know , but given the right circumstances they sure will have a good fighting chance.

In the end you will end up comparing apples to oranges as so many things influence the perceived sound .

Regards F.

I listen to systems like this all the time. Even if you only spend $30K or $40K, it had better sound better than the vintage stuff, otherwise what's the point?

A lot of modern technology in materials and computer-aided-design has gone into the modern stuff that was just not available 50 years ago. The precision of computer-controlled machine tools allows the creation of accurately-made parts in very small batches.

But the proof is in the listening. If you get a chance, bring your favorite records and go listen. Naturally, not every high $$$ is good, there's a lot of ways to screw up. But properly tuned modern hi-end gear is a treat for those who can afford it.

Back
Top Bottom