iPhone Connection Conundrum

Faulkren

Fan of Breakfast Food
Hey all,

I just upgraded my 4 to a 5s. Bit late on the bandwagon, yes. With my 4 and my iPod classic, I would connect it to my receiver via a 30-pin to RCA cable. However, I cannot find any sort of Lightning to RCA for my 5s. Is there such a cable?

If all is lost, I am taking suggestions for bluetooth adapters. I appreciate any input you have.

Hey all,

I just upgraded my 4 to a 5s. Bit late on the bandwagon, yes. With my 4 and my iPod classic, I would connect it to my receiver via a 30-pin to RCA cable. However, I cannot find any sort of Lightning to RCA for my 5s. Is there such a cable?

If all is lost, I am taking suggestions for bluetooth adapters. I appreciate any input you have.

I work at a carrier store and we sell adaptors that allow you to use the old cable with the new devices. Have you looked into those?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I work at a carrier store and we sell adaptors that allow you to use the old cable with the new devices. Have you looked into those?

Yes, but the 30-pin to lightning doesn't transmit audio as far as i know. Any adapters that do (by connecting the lightning cable and the headphone jack to the 30-pin cable) seem to be cheaply made. :/

This sounds promising, but verify with Apple first, and I'd say use an official Apple adaptor so you know you're getting what you need...

"...readers may have noticed that the Lightning connector does not support analog audio-out, but the 30-pin adapters do. That’s because hidden away inside each 30-pin adapter is a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) that converts the Lightning connector’s digital audio signal to an analog version...The inclusion of a DAC explains at least part of the price of the adapters."

I use the 30 pin to lightening adapter attached to the camera kit which gives me USB out to a tube DAC. Works fine.

I think some of the off brand adapters don't transmit the audio. I've been using an Apple adapter on my Pure dock and haven't had a problem, Plays fine.

Hey all,

sorry in advance for the obvious, but the headphone jack to rca cables work great

Isn't the Airplay / Airport Express route pretty much the standard way to go for iDevices these days?

That new (not so new connector) is a crock. Wife has been through a few cables so far. Also know some guys who had to back out of a product already committed to in China after Apple changed the connector just to be different. Headphone jack as always will work.

Fixed line out always better than going through the headphone output.

I use Apple TV. I can connect wirelessly my iPhone, if I had music on it, iPod or computer to tv, then tv connects to aux of receiver. I also use to look at schematics on large tv, while listening to iTunes or iTunes radio. This is for the vintage set-up!

For the living room set-up, I connect my laptop via output to video/audio input in front and downloaded a app onto iPhone called "Remote" and can control volume and music via iPhone, from outside. You can see your entire iTunes catalog on your iPhone. My friends are amazed at this ability.

If you have your TV connected to your receiver, I would look into Apple TV. It runs something like $99.00 for the unit, direct from apple.

Fixed line out always better than going through the headphone output.

this assumes that iphone volume control stage yields worse sound qulality than an external passive or active preamp. in my case i go direct from the iphone headphone out to the input of a single stage power amp

even going into a preamp, i doubt if 1 person in a hundred could hear an improvement between fixed line out and headphone out

Last edited:
I'm still amazed by the fliexibility I've got with my phone.
I'll try to describe my setup as simply as possible.
All my music is stored on apple match ($15/year)
My airport express is connected to my integrated amplifier (headphone jack to RCA)
I control the music streaming through the Airport with my Iphone 5c (using itunes on the phone, not Remote app.)
This gives me immediate access to my itunes library of 11,860 songs, 1000+ albums.
Not of it is stored on my phone. It all comes through the cloud.

I'm sure the airport to amp connection is not the highest fidelity. But the files are all served up as lossless. If I want high res, I listen to a vinyl record.

My airport express is connected to my integrated amplifier (headphone jack to RCA)
I control the music streaming through the Airport with my Iphone 5c (using itunes on the phone, not Remote app.)
This gives me immediate access to my itunes library of 11,860 songs, 1000+ albums.

I'm sure the airport to amp connection is not the highest fidelity. But the files are all served up as lossless. If I want high res, I listen to a vinyl record.

Just checked out the Apple Match service. Looks pretty cool. Will definately be signing up. Thanks for the heads up.

+1

I have iTunes Match and run it through my AppleTV (occasionally my iPad or iPod Touch) into my system. Sounds excellent. Someday I'll have to get one of those Airport Express units. I agree that sometimes I need a higher-res fix and then go to my turntable.

I have to look into Apple match. Right now I use iCloud just the freebie with 5gb storage.

The headphone out to RCA scares me because of too many volts to input of receiver. At least with the TV output with Apple TV and remote app, it's line voltage going to receiver.

Last edited:
It's sort of overwhelming having this much music at my beckon command. And perhaps the most amazing part is that Apple streams the highest quality file, regardless of the quality I originally uploaded.

@dnpainting - I'm not sure what you mean by the voltage issue? You mean the headphone 1/4 jack could be carrying a higher voltage to my integrated amp?

The headphone out to RCA scares me because of too many volts to input of receiver. At least with the TV output with Apple TV and remote app, it's line voltage going to receiver.

1.0 volt is the maximum output from the iPhone headphone jack. This is low and will not hurt your receiver. Many CD players and tuners put out about 2 volts and get plugged directly into the RCA input of receivers or amps. Don't believe me (or anyone on the internet) check the output specs on your phone and the input specs on your receiver.

Back
Top Bottom