RSD 2014 what did you get? How was your experience?

spartanmanor

Lunatic Member
Not too bad. I got to the store 2 hours before opening and I was 2nd in line. By the time the doors opened there were maybe 20 people. I picked up the following:

Devo/Flaming Lips 45
Joy Division - An Ideal for Living
Tame Impala - Live Versions
The Flaming Lips - 7 Skies H3
The Zombies - Odessy & Oracle
Devo - Butch Devo and the Sundance Gig
Rough Guide to Psychedelic Bollywood
Jorma Kaukonen - Quah
Yardbirds - Little Games

Non RSD titles

Jorma Kaukonen - Quah
Kaleidoscope - A Beacon from Mars

I got there at 10:30am and there were about 10 people shopping. Was told that the line went around the building at 9am.
I bought:
Soundgarden - Superunknown The Singles
Bruce Springsteen - American Beauty

Was tempted to buy the Cake box set, but that was gone at 9am and that's okay with me.

I was first in line! I made some new friends in the lineup, we shared some stories about hunting for vinyl. When we were inside one of the new people I met handed me the Doc Watson album I said I was looking for called Southbound. Both of my sisters won full length lp's for door prizes and I bought last years copy of Kings of Leon Because of the Times for 50% off. It was a great morning!

I'm on the fence about doing RSD this year. If I go, it will probably be later in the afternoon. I realize that by that time all the super-duper-colossal-awesome RSD titles will have been bought up, but I don't want to have to stand in line a block down the street from the front door and then deal with a massively crowded store after that.

My wife was able to make it out to the 2 stores we have locally and it was crazy for her. She had me on the phone while going through all the titles and I am sure it was a bit trying for her but she scored me,
The Doors,
REM Box Set,
Springsteen,
The Civil Wars,
The dead,
The The,
The Animals,
The Zombies both LP's,
The Allman Bros,
The Flaming Lips,
Gram Parsons,
The Everly Bros,
The Joy Divison
And with special thanks to Duckhunter from AK I scored a copy of the CAKE box set!

Jeff

Arrived at Dearborn (Mi)Music at 8:30, doors opened at 9:00 (I believe). There were easily 100 people ahead of me. Well organized, no pushing and shoving. I picked up:

Jaco Pastorius The Criteria Sessions
Soundgarden Superunknown
Jay-z Linkin Park
The Allman Brothers Live at the Beacon Theatre 1992
The rough Guide to Latin rare groove
The Doors Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mine
The Jimi Hendrix Experience Monterey

I got the Donny Hathaway at The Bitter End, The Civil Wars Live and a Connor Oberst/Dawes single. My daughter Gina got Katy Perry's new album as a double picture disc and the Paramore single.

I didn't get any RSD titles but I did get a used Mothers album from back in the day. Plus they had a bunch of free promo CDs and an EP. And they had a cool cake.
ry9asepe.jpg
ga5e5u5e.jpg
zu6eqamu.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't get any RSD titles but I did get a used Mothers album from back in the day. Plus they had a bunch of free promo CDs and a EP. And they had a cool cake. (Duplicate post)

Last edited:
Got there at 9:30 and the store opened at 10. About 15 people outside waiting. We talked for a while about music and movies and shared what we wanted to get. Most of us wanted different things.

I got:
Rockabye Baby Lullabies - David Bowie Songs
Frightened Rabbit - Live
SubPop Pissed Jeans Live
The Cure/Dinosaur Jr. Split 7"

I wanted the Pogues with Joe Strummer but they didn't have it. One guy in line wanted the Wizard of Oz but they also didn't have that. But, my store (Speakertree in Lynchburg, VA) had quite a bit of stuff. If you're from the area they still have some left overs (according to their Facebook page).

Picked up:

Johnny Cash - Man with the Blue Guitar
Pogues - Joe Strummer Live
Sam Cook - Ain't That Good News?
Donny Hathaway - Live at the Bitter End

Would have liked to find the Cake Box, but knew that was gonna be tough to find.

Went to the same store I hit each year. They do a cool thing for those of us in line - we give our top three choices and then start pulling. If they've got it in stock, everyone gets one or two of their top wants. Probably 20 of us in line by the time doors opened.

Heading out with my son this afternoon to hit the used record megaplex (Forever Young). Am looking for solo releases from the singers that were featured in "20 Feet From Stardom" (Merry Clayton, Darlene Love, etc)

4th in line and did well... My local shop is physically small and only lets 10 people at a time in, so no chaos. There were probably 75 or so in line when the door opened.

Soundgarden box set
Wes Montgomery at The Turf Club 10"
CCR '69 Singles 10"
Devo at KC
Husker Du Candy Apple Grey
Allman Brothers at the Beacon
Pogues with Strummer
Pixies Indie Cindy

Culled the Gram Parsons, Yardbirds, and Joan Jett at the last minute.

I got to one of the shops by me a half hour before it opened and was about 40th in line. I got everything I was after.

Flaming Lips - 7 Skies
Tame Impala - Live Versions
Built to Spill - Ultimate Alternative Wavers
The Yardbirds - Little Games

Then I wandered over to another shop and picked up the new Mac DeMarco album.

I was late to the game but got a few things

Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation...
Mastodon - Live at Brixton
David Lynch - The Air Is on Fire

It was great. In my neck of the woods, it's still a small affair. I got everything on my list - it was relaxed, no pushing or shoving or lines. Staff was on hand to help you find stuff if you missed it, they could check computer inventory to let you know if someone got the last one already. I hit 2 stores, a small - long standing - record store, and a larger chain-type (but local) store.

Also looked at an all-original AR XA, too rich for my blood at $250 - with no servicing done to it at all. But it was cool to see - plastic headshell and all.

Here is a shot of my RSD2014 Loot - missing is the Sharon Jones album which I pre-ordered, but oddly now need to wait for Mr Postman to deliver. :)
picture.php

Man I had a great day, I showed up two hours after they opened, no line, got all the records I wanted plus a bunch of other cool stuff. Smoked a little with the guys, drank some free beer, ate some free BBQ and watched some great local bands for free of course. Fun times!

I went to a few record shops around town and I got almost everything I wanted:

Jimi Hendrix - Monterey
Johnny Cash - Hot and Blue Guitar
Grateful Dead - Hampton '79
Mazzy Star - I'm Less Here
Tears for Fears - Ready Boys and Girls

I wanted to get Jerry Garcia - Garcia, but none of the shops had them.

Most stores were pretty busy, but everyone was friendly. It was a good experience.

Picked up the blue note releases - thats all i wanted

. My local store was busy which was nice to see.they opened a few months ago

Missed out on Chocolate Milk and the Cake box set. But still went away pretty happy. Spent double what I had planned on. Go figure. Got their early this year and it paid off. Had my wife wait in one line while I went to a store that opened earlier down the street.

2014-04-19124141_zps335aa9a8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom