Sansui SR-222 MKII Speed Issue

davestradamu

Swimming in Sound
I picked up a Sansui SR-222 MKII that might have been purchased from England. I got the piece with an amp and tape deck that both used a voltage converter.

I used scratch remover and car wax to polish the plinth and the platter and the thing looks gorgeous!

The belt felt pretty slack but spun the platter. 33rpm spins slow and sometimes stops. 45rpm seems more like proper 33 speed.

I have soaked the belt in hot water to tighten it, and also used a belt from a Technics I had in the closet. The new belt was much more elastic and felt tight.

I can see that the belt is not slipping. The motor is not turning the platter and stopping unless I help it a bit with my hand.

Is my beautiful Sansui dead for good?? :tears:

The SR-222 mkII is an AC synchronous motor and its speed is dependent on the mains frequency. A 50Hz motor uses a different pulley than the 60Hz motor; you will need to find the proper pulley for the SR-222 to run at the right speed.

The SR-222 mkII is an AC synchronous motor and its speed is dependent on the mains frequency. A 50Hz motor uses a different pulley than the 60Hz motor; you will need to find the proper pulley for the SR-222 to run at the right speed.

Ahh!

The converter I have is 60Hz and the turntable is 50Hz!

Should I try to find a 50Hz converter?

Ahh!

The converter I have is 60Hz and the turntable is 50Hz!

Should I try to find a 50Hz converter?

Converting frequency is much more complex and expensive than converting voltage and is not feasible. The best way is to use a different pulley or capstan on the motor and the source for the pulley is probably going to be another turntable. Some tables came with both pulleys but that wasn't common.

Converting frequency is much more complex and expensive than converting voltage and is not feasible. The best way is to use a different pulley or capstan on the motor and the source for the pulley is probably going to be another turntable. Some tables came with both pulleys but that wasn't common.

How the heck did the previous owner use this gear? It was in use in the US.

Maybe I should have grabbed the transformer with all the wires sticking out of it too... the previous owner died and the gear was rounded up, so I never saw how it was working.

So basically I need another SR-222 to scavenge the pulley? Sheesh!

At least the Sony SS-G1 speakers I got from this system sound decent...

How the heck did the previous owner use this gear? It was in use in the US.

Maybe I should have grabbed the transformer with all the wires sticking out of it too... the previous owner died and the gear was rounded up, so I never saw how it was working.

So basically I need another SR-222 to scavenge the pulley? Sheesh!

At least the Sony SS-G1 speakers I got from this system sound decent...

It is quite possible that the previous owner had already swapped in the proper 50hz pulley. :scratch2:

Get the correct platter belt, clean the potential meters and switches with DeOxit.

They. Come with a spare pully 50 or 60Hz
My 2050 came with both
manuals got instructions
To swap out pully

Sent from my LG-P705 using Tapatalk

Either that or the motors dropped
Had to rebush a akai
A 3800 all in one
Wouldn't change speed

Sent from my LG-P705 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom